Set the Stage for a Performing Arts Career with a Musical Theatre Degree
Whether you want to take center stage or work behind the scenes, you will be prepared for any type of theatrical employment with a Musical Theatre degree. Marywood's ensemble philosophy is the foundation of the program, so students have opportunities to participate in all aspects of production.
Combining music and theatre, the program promotes these objectives:
- Introducing students to the technical facilities of musical theatre;
- Familiarizing students with the standards required for an effective theatrical or musical performance;
- Developing students' skills in various theatrical roles;
- Providing students with a comprehensive musical theatre experience.
Recent productions include Godspell, Songs for a New World, A Little Night Music, Once Upon a Mattress, The Fantasticks, Elegies, Pippin, and Sunday in the Park with George.
All seniors have the opportunity to present a capstone project that represents a culmination of their studies. The capstone can be an original musical, a show directed by the student, or a production featuring the student.
Outcomes & Opportunities
Ensembles Learn, practice, perform »
Top Career Paths
- Theatrical Director
- Stage Manager
Dig Deeper Into the Program Details
Undergraduate Admissions Requirements
- Completed application
- Official transcripts
- Letter of recommendation
- Official SAT and/or ACT test scores (Marywood is test optional)
- Essay (optional)
All Undergraduate & Transfer Students
Acceptance by the University is required before an audition can be scheduled. See below for procedures, scholarship deadlines, and 2020-2021 audition dates.
- Apply to University.
- FAFSA Deadlines for financial aid: February 15 (fall entry) and November 1 (spring entry).
- For talent scholarship consideration, auditions must be completed by March 1.
- Transfer students must complete a minimum 30 credits in music courses at Marywood. Transfer students in education must have GPA 3.0 minimum for acceptance.
- Freshmen education majors must have SAT 970 minimum score (Math/Reading combined)
General Guidelines for Theatre Arts Auditions
Musical theatre majors must audition in voice, acting, and dance.
Voice (for Musical Theatre Majors) — Musical theatre applicants should perform two contrasting musical theatre selections, or one classical piece and one musical theatre selection.
Dance (for Musical Theatre Majors) — Please prepare a short dance excerpt that shows your proficiency with dance/movement.
Acting (for Musical Theatre Majors and Theatre Majors)
Please prepare a 1-2 minute memorized monologue from a published play, screenplay, or teleplay. Select a piece that is appropriate for your age and ability. The theatre evaluator will be looking for a truthful and believable representation of the character. Show through your voice and body that you understand the character’s thoughts, feelings, and actions.
Musical Theatre Facilities
At Marywood University, our Musical Theatre facilities reflect our commitment to providing a comprehensive education that prepares students for the realities of professional theatre. Here, passion for the performing arts is nurtured, skills are refined, and students are prepared to make their mark on the world of musical theatre.
MTD Student Handbook
The information in this handbook is designed to familiarize you with university and department policies specific to the MTD degree programs.
Please save this handbook, as it will provide guidance throughout your studies at Marywood. Bring this handbook to all academic advising sessions.
From #DayOne, Marywood is here for you each step of the way.