A Secondary Math Education Degree Is In Demand!
In schools across the nation, there is a growing demand for math teachers. A Secondary Education degree in Mathematics from Marywood University will open doors of opportunity for you, so you can open doors of understanding for your future students.
Graduates of our secondary math education program:
- Know and understand mathematics substantially beyond what they may be expected to teach;
- Relate mathematics to the world of the student;
- Make students aware of the role of mathematics in our culture and of the relationship between mathematics and the natural and social sciences;
- Plan and implement a program of learning in mathematics for students of varying backgrounds and abilities;
- Evaluate the learning process through a variety of methods and set up an environment conducive to learning;
- Recognize learning disabilities and know the appropriate measures to take in such cases.
For the Math/Secondary Education major, 66 credits are required in the core curriculum. Students interested in earning a Math/Secondary Education degree should consult the Education Department for a description of admission and retention criteria. The curriculum is subject to change, based on guidelines established by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
- Foundation in mathematical skills and logical reasoning
- Ability to relate mathematics to the world of the student.
- Fully accredited program (MSCHE & PDE)
Outcomes & Opportunities
up to $18,000 National Science Foundation (NSF) Robert Noyce Teacher Scholarship Program »
for aspiring K-12 teachers of science, technology, and mathematics
- School Districts
- Curriculum Development Institutions
- Private Tutoring
Top Career Paths
- Computer Scientist
- Electrical/ Mechanical Engineer
Dig Deeper Into the Program Details
Undergraduate Admissions Requirements
- Completed application
- Official transcripts
- Letter of recommendation
- Official SAT and/or ACT test scores (Marywood is test optional)
- Essay (optional)
Center for Natural and Health Sciences206 Morgan Road
Map & Directions
The Center for Natural and Health Sciences contains various science laboratories, computer labs, the 100-seat Comerford Theatre, and various classrooms. Classrooms for our Math and Computer Science, Science, Nursing, and Public Administration programs are in this building.
Learn More | Take a Virtual Tour
Curriculum Lab Library
Map & Directions
The Curriculum Lab and Library, located in the McGowan Center for Graduate and Professional Studies, is a curriculum materials resource area, designed to support the specialized needs of teacher education students.
Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship
The purpose of the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Foundation, as stated in the enabling legislation, is to alleviate a critical current and future shortage of highly qualified scientists, mathematicians, and engineers. A more realistic statement of the purpose, in today's terms, is to provide a continuing source of highly qualified individuals to those fields of academic study and research.
Tuition & Fees:
From #DayOne, Marywood is here for you each step of the way.