Not sure where to go?
We can help you with the next step.

At Marywood, we provide an array of opportunities for you to learn and lead through experiences that enhance classroom learning.

Housed within the Enrollment Services and Student Success division, our programs are designed with your holistic growth and personal development in mind. If you are not sure where to go for assistance, we are here to help guide you. 

Policy development

If you'd like to voice your concerns regarding a current policy or about an issue for which there is no policy, the following may assist. If you wish to learn more about a specific topic, please feel free to contact the Vice President for Enrollment Services and Student Success or the Dean of Students.

Student Government Association (undergraduate)
Graduate Student Council
Policy committee has student representatives as members
Student Life Committee

What if my student has a complaint?

Please refer to the Student Handbook or contact the Dean of Students for information on how to file a formal complaint.

We encourage students to talk to peers, instructors and staff prior to making a formal complaint. Often, complaints can be addressed without filing a formal complaint. While we encourage parents to support their students, it is important for the student to take the lead to handle complaints and grievances.

Policies for filing a grievance

  • Academic Grievances
  • Nondiscrimination and Complaint Procedures Policy
  • Disability Grievances
  • Title IX Sexual Harassment and Community Standards Sexual Misconduct Policy and Procedures
  • Student Conduct

Dean of Students

Novak, Ross


Marywood's Behavioral Intervention Team identifies and responds to concerns regarding students' well-being. Team meetings are confidential and collaborative in nature.

The mission of the Marywood University Behavioral Intervention Team is to provide a caring program of identification, intervention, and response while balancing the needs of the individual with those of the community. The BIT: identifies students whose behavioral patterns have raised concern about their well-being; centralizes communication to gain a more complete understanding of the whole individual student; and, develops a collaborative outreach plan with campus and community resources to address identified risks.

The Behavioral Intervention Team is made up of representatives from the following offices:

  • Dean of Students
  • Housing and Residence Life
  • Student Health Services
  • Campus Safety
  • Counseling/Student Development Center
  • Retention and Advising
  • Student Disability Services

A college education is primarily academic and intellectual in nature. Equally important, however, is the development of values and attitudes, which encourage mature, responsible behavior in all areas of life. Out of class student conduct is not separate from its effect on the total community. Rather, it is integral to the educational process.

In this spirit, Marywood has established regulations for student behavior and a conduct system through which policy violations are adjudicated. This process uses preponderance of evidence as the standard of proof during conduct hearings.


File a Complaint or Incident Report

Anyone in the Marywood community may file an Incident Report. We all have a responsibility to ensure our community is a safe environment that supports our core values and ability to successfully pursue an education.

You can also file an anonymous report online, which will be investigated by Campus Safety.

The legal system

Marywood's conduct process is completely separate from the civil and criminal systems. The civil/criminal system is based on punishment, while the Marywood conduct process is based on education and has different processes and standards of evidence.

It is possible for a student to go through both the civil/criminal process as well as the Marywood conduct process. In the same respect, it is possible for a student to be found "responsible" through the Marywood conduct process and simultaneously "not guilty" by government authorities.

Request Your Conduct History

Marywood students can request a conduct history check for transferring to another institution, applying to graduate school, or as part of a job search. 

Simply bring your completed form (from the school or employer you're applying to) and ID to the Dean of Students Office. Typically, you can return to pick it up the following business day or leave an address where it can be mailed.

Conduct Off-Campus

We expect Marywood students to demonstrate respect and concern for members of our local community. Marywood reserves the right to refer any student involved in University policy violations or disruptive or offensive behavior off-campus to the conduct system for investigation and action. Such behavior includes, but is not limited to:

  • Excessive noise
  • Rude and abusive language
  • Disruptive activities
  • Illegal use, sale, and distribution of alcohol or drugs

Problems with Landlords

If you are living in an off-campus apartment or house, you may encounter problems that should be addressed by your landlord. If you have difficulty resolving an issue with your landlord, you may need to report your landlord to the city inspector's office.

If you continue to have problems, you may need to seek legal counsel on your own.

More information about Commuter Life

Supporting Your Student Through the Conduct Process

As a parent, you may be one of the first people that your student calls if he/she receives an email about possible conduct allegations. The following information can help you as you support your student through the conduct process.

The Facts and Nothing but the Facts

While we recognize that you want to support your student, we ask that you provide that support unconditionally, but not blindly. Be aware that your student may not tell you all of the details of a situation.

The Conduct Process

Understand that there is a process in place to hear every side of the story. Review this website to learn more about the conduct process, and encourage your student to do the same.

Student Confidentiality

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 and University policies prohibit staff from discussing your student's academic and conduct record without his/her written permission. We can answer questions about the process, but we cannot provide specific details about a case without a waiver from your student. If your student has questions, direct him or her to contact us for more information.

The 24-Hour Rule

Practice the "24-Hour Rule." When you receive a phone call or e-mail from your student because he or she is upset about a conduct issue, you may be tempted to try to immediately fix the problem for them. Instead, allow 24 hours to inform, guide, teach, and observe.

In addition to the rights afforded to Marywood University community members and guests under the University’s Title IX Sexual Harassment and Community Standards Sexual Misconduct Policy and Procedures, victims’ of sexual assault are also afforded rights at a federal and state level. 

Federal Campus Sexual Assault Victims’ Bill of Rights

The “Campus Sexual Assault Victims’ Bill of Rights” exists as a part of the campus security reporting requirements, commonly known as the Jeanne Clery Act. ​​​​​​​

  • Survivors shall be notified of their options to notify law enforcement.
  • The reporting and responding parties must have the same opportunity to have others present at disciplinary proceedings.
  • Both parties shall be informed of the outcome of any disciplinary proceeding.
  • Survivors shall be notified of counseling services.
  • Survivors shall be notified of options for changing academic and living situations.

Pennsylvania’s Victim’s Bill of Rights

As a victim of crime in Pennsylvania you have rights. In addition, there are standards of service that you can expect to receive as a victim of crime. The standards help ensure that you receive information, practical and emotional support, and are able to participate fully in the criminal justice system. These standards were created to make sure that you are treated with dignity and respect at all times, regardless of your gender, age, marital status, race, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability or religion.

Your rights will be provided to you by several different agencies, which include a state or local law enforcement agency, the prosecutor’s office, local correctional facility, Board of Probation and Parole, the juvenile probation office or the Department of Public Welfare. Who provides specific notifications to you depends on where the case is in the criminal or juvenile justice system. There are some rights that you will need to request in order for them to be provided to you. Some of your rights are listed below:

You have the right to be told… 

  • about basic services available to you in your county
  • about certain court events, including information on bail, escape of offender, release of an offender
  • about the details of the final disposition of a case 

You have the right to receive… 

  • notice of the arrest of the offender
  • information about restitution and assistance with compensation
  • accompaniment to all criminal proceedings by a family member, a victim advocate or a support person 

You have the right to provide input… 

  • into the sentencing decision and to receive help in preparing an oral and/or written victim impact statement
  • into post sentencing decisions   

To see how your rights fit into the Adult Criminal Justice Process, please go to the Adult Flow Chart (PDF).

To see how your rights fit into the Juvenile Justice Process, please go to the Juvenile Flow Chart (PDF)

For a complete and detailed list of your rights, please see Your Detailed Rights as a Victim of Crime.

If you think one or more of your rights were not provided to you or that you were not treated with dignity or respect and you would like to file a complaint, please see Victims' Rights Complaint Form (DOC)

You may want to talk to a victim advocate to learn more about your rights. A victim advocate is responsible for providing them to you and to also explain the services that are available for you.

Link to Lackawanna County District Attorney's Victim's Services website:

To locate an advocate in other Pennsylvania counties, please visit the Victim Service Program page. 


Call 911 and then call Marywood Campus Safety immediately at 570-348-6242; other resources and people to help include RAs, RDs, and Campus Safety staff.

If you feel you are in danger, call Campus Safety immediately at 570-348-6242. If you are being harassed but do not feel in danger, then utilize your RAs, RDs, or any Student Life staff as resources to help to mediate conversations with the other party to help express your wishes. You may also file a report with Campus Safety to have it handled through the conduct process.

If you are being sexually harassed or experiencing harassment based on race, sex (including sexual harassment, sexual violence and pregnancy), color, gender, national or ethnic origin, age, creed, ancestry, religion, disability, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, whether an individual has a GED, use of a guide or support animal, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law, you can contact the Director of Institutional Equity and Inclusion, Title IX Coordinator at 570-340-6042 as well as the resources mentioned above.

Each Monday, all incident reports are reviewed and students involved in incidents are assigned a preliminary hearing officer. You will receive an e-mail notifying you of the charges and the preliminary hearing time and location. The preliminary hearing is a one-on-one meetings to discuss your side of the story. Depending on the circumstances, if you are found responsible you will be assigned an educational sanction. See the Student Handbook for more information or stop in to see the Dean of Students who can answer your questions.
I don’t like how my conduct hearing turned out, now what?

First reflect on why you are not happy. If you did in fact violate policy, even if you don't agree with the existence of the policy, then take this opportunity to learn from it and participate fully in the sanction. If it was the results of the preliminary hearing you didn't like, then you can request a formal hearing. You have a limited number of days to request a formal hearing. If you are not happy with the formal hearing, there are four different reasons you may appeal the decision. See the Student Handbook for more information or stop in to see the Dean of Students who can answer your questions.

First begin with trying to speak to your professor directly. Speak in person, if not there when you go to the office, leave a note or a phone message. E-mail to follow up. If do not hear back, try a second time. If you are unable to resolve the problem, then set up an appointment with that faculty member's department chair to discuss the issue. If you are still unable to work out a solution, then set up an appointment with that area's Academic Dean. A note on Deans: there are three Academic Dean's who work with the department chairs. If you do not know who your Academic Dean is, go to the Academics menu to see which college they fall into.

Also see: Office of Retention and Advising

After showing ID, leave your signed form with the Dean of Students in room 101 of the Liberal Arts Center and in most cases you can return to pick it up the following business day.

see also: Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Depending on what your idea is, there are many places from which you may seek collaboration. Stop in the Dean of Student's office as your first resource and I will be happy to brainstorm with you about the possibilities.

All full-time undergraduate, graduate and international students are required to have health insurance. Students may waive coverage of the University endorsed plan if they are able to demonstrate proof of their own health insurance coverage via the Student Health Services Webpage.

The Student Handbook is available online:

Immediate safety is the primary concern. First contact Campus Safety or 911. Your RA is an excellent resource who can help you file an incident report to document specific concrete behaviors. Utilize your RA to help discuss differences and the possibility of a roommate mediation. If policy violation(s) are involved, you can bring the student through the conduct process. Other resources are: 

Counseling/Student Development Center

Office of Housing and Residence Life

First reflect on how much time and effort you are putting into it. You may need to put down your electronic devices in order to interact more. Think about joining a club or an intramural team or otherwise engage in campus life. Visit Student Activities and Leadership Development for a list of options you may not have thought of. The Counseling and Student Development Center is a free resource to help you learn more about yourself. Lastly, feel free to stop by my office and we can brainstorm ideas.
While not a five star hotel, Marywood makes every effort for our students' comfort and safety. Safety codes are all followed. Speak to your RA for help brainstorming space saving ideas. 

Also see: Residence Life

Try talking to your roommate when neither of you are angry, stick to the specific problem and suggest things you can each change to improve the situation. Utilize your RA for mediating roommate issues.

Contact the Office of Retention and Advising and let them know your course titles, professors' names and a brief reason of what you will miss. Speak to the staff regarding what to do about the possibility of a doctor's excuse to miss class.

It's easy to start a new club at Marywood! Have an idea for a club or organization? Here are some guidelines for creating a new club.

Learn More About Marywood Clubs »