Marywood Proud to Serve the Best Education for Veterans

Marywood University has been recognized consistently for its commitment to veteran and active military students and is the only local institution that has been recognized by U.S. News and World Report as a Best College for Veterans. Marywood was the only local university ranked on the “Best Colleges for Veterans” (Regional Universities North). According to U.S. News, these are the top-ranked schools in the 2024 Best Colleges rankings that participate in federal initiatives helping veterans and active-duty service members pay for their degrees. 

Cod-military.pngCollege of Distinction 2022-2023

Marywood University has earned special recognition for exceptional student support initiatives in Military Support.

Read more »

Applying for Veteran Students 

The $35 application fee is waived when you submit through the Marywood online application, Common Application, or Apply Coalition with Scoir . If you wish to complete a paper application, please download it here to print it.

Net Price Calculator

Admissions & Education Benefits Information

After you've applied for admission and been accepted by Marywood University, obtain your education benefits by following these steps:
  1. Use the benefits chart below to find the type of benefit that's right for you.

  2. Apply for your education benefits from the U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs (VA) at

  3. Provide your confirmation number and subsequent Certificate of Eligibility to Lauren Williams, Veterans Certifying Official, in the Office of Military and Veteran Services. If you have a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE), provide that as well.

  4. If you are receiving active duty or reserve benefits, you must verify your enrollment on the last calendar day of every month using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE).

Vocal Rehabilitation Benefits

To apply for vocational rehabilitation benefits, follow these steps:

  1. Contact the local Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor, who will assist you in completing your application:

    Matthew Dragwa, MS, CRC
    Vocational Rehab & Employment Division
    1123 E. End Blvd., Suite 5
    Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702
    (570) 821-2501

  2. Once your vocational rehabilitation benefits have been approved, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) will send an authorization form to Marywood so that you may receive benefits.

  3. Once you are enrolled, Marywood's Veterans Certifying Official will certify your enrollment.

For more information about vocational rehabilitation benefits, visit the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Service webpage or call the VA toll free at 1-800-827-1000.

Receiving Benefits

In most cases, benefits are paid directly to you in monthly installments. If your enrollment has been certified 30 days prior to the start of the term, you can expect to receive your first installment during the month following the first full month of school. For example, if you start school in the fall, your first installment should arrive in October.

Marywood University fully complies with the requirements for readmission of veterans as defined in the Higher Education Opportunity Act.

In part, the act states that:

"A person who is a member of, applies to be a member of, performs, has performed, applies to perform, or has an obligation to perform, service in the uniformed services shall not be denied readmission to an institution of higher education on the basis of that membership, application for membership, performance of service, application for service, or obligation."

In general, any student whose absence from an institution of higher education is necessitated by reason of service in the uniformed services shall be entitled to readmission to the institution of higher education if: 

    • The student (or an appropriate officer of the Armed Forces or official of the Department of Defense) gives advance written or verbal notice of such service to the appropriate official at the institution of higher education.

    • The cumulative length of the absence and of all previous absences from that institution of higher education by reason of service in the uniformed services does not exceed five years.

    • "Except as otherwise provided" in the Act, "the student submits a notification of intent to re-enroll in the institution of higher education in accordance with" certain institution.

To Marywood

To transfer your benefits from another institution to Marywood University, complete and submit VA form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training to the Veterans Certifying Official.

For benefit-specific information, select the benefit you are utilizing from the menu options to the left.

To a Spouse or Child

To transfer your VA education benefits to a spouse or child, please the VA education benefits website for requirements and application instructions. Once your transfer of benefit has been approved by the VA, submit your Transfer of Eligibility form for spouse or child to the Veterans Certifying Official.

Eligible students are required to submit the form below each semester to the VA Certifying Official in order to have classes certified for veteran education benefits. The form can be filled out, and a picture with the filled-out information can be sent to our office for certification. If you would prefer, you can also mail, scan or drop off the completed form to: 

Marywood University
Office of Military and Veteran Services
Veterans Resource Center
Scranton, PA 18509

Military Certification Enrollment Form

Note: This must also be resubmitted immediately if the student adds or drops a class during the current semester.

Fall Semester Dates

Please refer to the Academic Calendar for individual session dates. Financial dates may be found on the Student Accounts website.

*This must also be resubmitted immediately if the student adds or drops a class during the current semester.

Before registering for courses at one or more additional institutions, you must provide the Registrar's Office with proof that the courses for which you will register are applicable to your degree program at Marywood University. The Registrar's Office will forward a copy of the authorization to the Veterans Certifying Official. 

The Certifying Official at Marywood University will certify courses for which you are registered at Marywood University. All additional institutions will certify their own courses.

Transcripts: Freshmen applicants: Request that an official copy of your high school transcript, dual enrollment transcript, or transcript of any college-level classes that you’ve taken is sent to Marywood University Admissions.
Transfer students:
Request official transcripts from your high school and all colleges attended and listed on your academic record be sent to Marywood. If applicable, please forward an official score report from the General Education Development test (GED).

Test Scores: Freshman applicants only: Marywood has implemented a test-optional admissions policy for first-year freshmen. Students who have taken the SAT or ACT are encouraged, but not required, to submit their test scores with their application. When completing either the Common Application or Marywood Application, you will choose if you want your test scores considered in the admissions review process. If you elect to include your test scores in the review, they must be submitted via your official high school transcript or by the testing agency. Once you submit your application for admission, your test score decision becomes final and cannot be changed.

This policy is applicable to all academic programs; however, please note that for students interested in studying Communication Sciences and Disorders, test scores are preferred but not required.

Letter of Recommendation: Provide one letter of recommendation from a school-based counselor or academic teacher. We also welcome additional letters from teachers, friends, or family members who are familiar with your academic achievements and interests. Letters can be sent electronically via the online application or emailed to

Essay: Submit an essay of at least 250 words. Recommended essay topics can be found at

Transcripts: Submit OFFICIAL, SEALED transcripts of all your academic work. When requesting transcripts, please ask the sending institution to indicate your current name and former/maiden name. Official, electronic transcripts should be submitted to

Letter of Recommendation: Send two letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your academic and/or professional background. If you have not attended college for three or more years, please contact the Office of University Admissions for guidance.

Please note the following:

  • MSW Applicants: At least one academic reference is needed if you have graduated within the last two years.
  • Interior Architecture, PsyD Clinical Psychology, Psychology (General Theoretical), and School Psychology (EdS) Applicants: Three letters of recommendation are required for these programs.

Recommendations can be submitted electronically via the online application.

Standardized Tests/Portfolios:
GRE required for the following programs. General Test must be taken within the past five years.

  • Physician Assistant
  • Speech Language Pathology (external applicants only)

GRE optional for the following programs. General Test must be taken within the past five years.

  • Dietetic Internships Onsite Program Only
  • Ed.S. School Psychology
  • Psychology

Portfolios required for the following:

  • Art Therapy
  • All MA and MFA Art Programs
  • Interior Architecture

Essay Requirements: Visit for information about specific essay requirements for your program.

Application Deadlines: Information on specific application deadlines available at

As an Airforce veteran, Aaron plans on bringing a unique perspective to the field of Social Work.

Read More

View all veteran profiles

Admissions Calendar