Financial Aid

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible to receive Federal Title IV student aid at Marywood University, students must meet the following requirements:

  • Undergraduate and Graduate students must be enrolled as matriculated students in an eligible degree program or an eligible certificate program. Endorsement programs, Educational Leadership certifications, English as a Second Language and enrichment students are not eligible for federal, state, or institutional assistance.
  • You must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen.
  • You must be making satisfactory academic progress toward completion of your degree.
  • You may not be in default on any federal education loan or owe an overpayment of a federal education grant.
  • If applicable, you must be registered with Selective Service.
  • Not been convicted of any illegal drug offense that would make you ineligible for federal aid.

Questions regarding specific student and /or program Title IV eligibility should be directed to the Financial Aid Office.

Estimated Costs

Your financial aid eligibility begins with your cost of attendance. Actual costs vary according to the residence hall, commuter or off-campus residency. Other factors include whether you are an undergraduate student, dependent or independent, or a graduate student.

Expected Family Contribution (EFC)

When you submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the Federal Processing Center calculates an expected family contribution (EFC) using a formula based on the information you provide.

Financial Need

The Marywood Financial Aid Office uses your estimated costs minus your EFC to determine your level of financial need. Some types of financial aid awards have a financial need component. If you do not have financial need based on this formula, you are still eligible for an unsubsidized federal student loan.

Extenuating Circumstances

If extenuating circumstances affect your ability to pay, you should complete a Marywood University 2022-23 Special Circumstances Form. Examples of extenuating circumstances that could affect a student or parents ability to pay are the loss of a job, excessive medical bills, secondary school tuition, disability, or divorce.

Changes to Eligibility

The financial aid award letter that you receive is based on the information provided to us at the time your award is generated. The award can change based on subsequent changes to your financial circumstances, outside assistance, and/or enrollment plans.

Change in Circumstances

If you, your spouse's, or your parents' financial circumstances have changed since you completed your FAFSA, you should contact the Financial Aid Office to report what has changed. We will evaluate your request and let you know if additional documentation is needed to support your request for reconsideration based on the change(s) you report.

Marywood University need-based funds are based on your housing status as an incoming student. If, at any point during your enrollment, you decide to move off-campus or commute from home, it is possible that your need-based funds will be reduced accordingly. For specific information about potential financial aid adjustments, students are encouraged to speak with a Financial Aid Counselor before signing any off-campus lease agreements.

Additional Aid Received

Students who receive additional sources of aid or scholarships after the start of the semester may have their awards adjusted. These adjustments are required by federal regulations to keep your total financial aid within your demonstrated need and the cost of attendance. You are responsible for reporting all outside aid that you have received or expect to receive to the Financial Aid Office using the Scholarship Notification Form. Outside scholarships will first be used to meet any unmet financial need. If the financial need has been met and the student is receiving federal and/or state aid, the outside award will first be used to reduce or replace federal work study eligibility or federal loans.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

The Department of Education requires the University to establish a Policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid eligibility that describes the academic criteria a student must meet to maintain eligibility for federal, state, and institutional aid. Students who do not meet the conditions of this policy are not eligible for continued financial aid the following year.

Changes in Enrollment

If you fail to enroll for the required number of credit hours on which your award was based, drop hours, or withdraw from school, repayment of your financial aid funds will be required. The Financial Aid Office will verify your enrollment status at the point at which aid funds are credited to your account (usually just prior to the first day of classes each semester) and again at the end of the tuition refund period, (Census Date). Any change in status will likely result in an adjustment to your award and/or a required repayment of some or all of the funds disbursed to you.

Withdrawal and Repayment

If you withdraw during a semester in which you are receiving financial aid, you may be required to repay some or all of the financial aid you received for the term. The amount of aid you must repay will depend upon your date of withdrawal. Federal financial aid regulations specify that you “earn” your financial aid by remaining enrolled through more than 60% of the entire semester for which you receive aid. If you withdraw prior to that time, you must repay the aid you did not “earn” based on the federal formula. Specific information regarding the University’s refund policy may be obtained from the Cashier’s Office.

It is also important to note that federal regulations govern "unofficial" withdrawals. As stated in the regulations on federal aid:

"If a student who began attendance has not officially withdrawn and fails to earn a passing grade in at least one course offered over an entire period, the institution must assume, for Title IV purposes, that the student has unofficially withdrawn, unless the institution can document that the student completed the period."

Therefore, if you do not achieve a passing grade in any of your courses in a given semester or summer session, you will be considered to have unofficially withdrawn from the University during that enrollment period and may be required to repay all or a portion of the aid that you did not earn.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Financial Aid Recipients

The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended by Congress, mandates that institutions of higher education establish minimum standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for students receiving federal financial aid. These standards apply to all Federal Title IV aid programs including the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Direct Loans, Federal Direct PLUS Loans and Federal Work-Study.  Please note that the PA State Grant program has separate guidelines for satisfactory academic progress and should be reviewed on pheaa.org.

The Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards apply to all students seeking federal Title IV financial aid, regardless of whether the student has received Title IV funding in the past. Marywood University is responsible for ensuring that all students receiving Title IV assistance are meeting these standards.

Process of Determining Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

For all degree-seeking students, SAP will be evaluated at the end of each semester, typically in December, May and August. This evaluation will determine if the student has made sufficient progress to be eligible for future Title IV funding.   

Satisfactory Academic Progress Measurement
 Qualitative Measure (cumulative Marywood QPA):
  • Undergraduate students at Marywood University must maintain a cumulative quality point average (QPA) of at least a 2.00 to remain in good academic standing.
  • Graduate students must maintain a cumulative quality point average (QPA) of at least a 3.00 to remain in good academic standing.

Quantitative Measure
Completion Rate/Pace: Pace is calculated by dividing cumulative hours the student successfully completed by cumulative hours the student has attempted. This calculation includes all attempted credits, both at Marywood and those accepted in transfer. Courses for which a student receives academic credit, withdraws, receives incomplete or repeat grades and/or fails are counted in the calculation of the completion rate/pace.  

  • Undergraduate students must successfully complete 67% of the total cumulative attempted credits;
  • Graduate students must successfully complete 67% of the total cumulative attempted credits.

Maximum Timeframe: Maximum timeframe is defined as the required length of time it will take a student to complete his/her degree. A student will remain eligible for federal aid for up to 150% of total attempted credits. For example, if the student is pursuing a degree that requires 120 credits, the student is not eligible for further federal aid after attempting 180 credits. This includes transfer credits. Most undergraduate degrees at Marywood University require a minimum of 120 credits for graduation, but there are some exceptions. Most graduate degrees require 36 credits for graduation, but there are some exceptions. Refer to the catalog for specific program graduation requirements.

Students who change majors are responsible for completing their degree requirements within the timeframe specified above.

Readmitted Students

If a student is readmitted to Marywood University, satisfactory academic progress will be based on the student’s previous attendance at Marywood and credits accepted in transfer. Students who have not met the minimum requirements will be notified of their ineligibility for federal financial aid and informed of their options to regain eligibility.

Special Grades and their Use in Satisfactory Academic Progress Determination

  • I - Incomplete: Student will receive no credit for an “I” grade although the “I” is counted as attempted credit(s). When the incomplete grade is resolved and a passing grade is received, the credit(s) will be counted.
  • X – Delay in reporting final grade: Student will receive no credit for an “X” grade although the “X” is counted as attempted credit(s). When the incomplete grade is resolved and a passing grade is received, the credit(s) will be counted.
  • W, WP, WF – Withdrawal, Withdrawal Passing, and Withdrawal Failing: Considered as attempted credit(s) but no credit(s) earned.
  • AD – Audit: Not considered as attempted credit(s).
  • S/U - Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory: Both are considered as attempted credit(s). QPA is not affected.

Repeat of Course

The highest grade earned is always used in calculating the QPA. If the student failed the course the first time but passes it the second time, the appropriate number of credits will be recorded after the second attempt.  Maximum hours earned for any course cannot exceed the number of credits listed for that course in the catalog.  

Advanced Standing Credit

All forms of advanced standing credit such as advanced placement, transfer, validation, challenge, that are accepted by the University are considered as both attempted and earned in the calculation of completion rate/pace  and maximum time frame.

Summer Terms

Summer counts as any other semester. Since Marywood University evaluates after each semester, a student that has not met SAP standards will be put on an automatic warning after the spring semester evaluation. If the student takes summer courses, s/he will be evaluated again at the end of summer and must either have made up their SAP deficiency or successfully appealed his/her failure to make up the deficiency in order to receive aid for the fall semester.

Regaining Eligibility

If a student fails to meet the satisfactory academic progress standards, but meets the standards later at some point, the student can once again be eligible to receive federal Title IV. In such cases, financial aid eligibility will begin with the academic semester after which the student re-establishes progress. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the Financial Aid Office after completing coursework that allows the student to regain eligibility for financial aid.

If a student is taking coursework at another institution to regain SAP eligibility, the student should be aware that:   

  1. An Authorization for Transfer of Credit Form must be completed prior to taking any courses elsewhere if the credits are to be transferred back to Marywood. The Registrar’s Office must accept the transfer credits in order for those credits to be counted towards satisfactory academic progress.

  2. Only credits transfer back to Marywood University; grades do not. If the student's deficiency is in QPA, taking courses at another institution will not resolve that deficiency. The only exception is the University of Scranton Consortium Program. Unlike transfer credits from other colleges, grades earned through consortium registration with the University of Scranton are calculated into a student’s QPA.

Appeal Process

A student whose financial aid eligibility has been terminated may appeal only if they have experienced extenuating circumstances that affected their ability to meet the academic progress standards. In general, extenuating circumstances can include, but are not limited to, illness, injury, death of relative or friend, difficulties with accommodations for students with disabilities, and adversity due to unforeseen events. Students interested in appealing their termination of financial aid eligibility can submit the Academic Progress Appeal Form. Students must address in the appeal why they failed to make academic progress and what has changed that will allow them to make progress in the next semester. There are circumstances when an official academic plan will be requested from the student to support an appeal request. For that reason, we suggest that students meet with their Advisor, Department Chair, or College Dean to outline an academic plan prior to beginning the appeal process.

Additionally, under the conditions of the appeal, the Financial Aid Office will determine if it is mathematically possible for the student to complete her/his degree within the 150% maximum timeframe allowed by law. If the student’s SAP deficiency also results in her/his inability to complete the program within the 150% timeframe allowed, the appeal must also address a tentative plan for degree completion. In these circumstances, both the appeal and tentative plan for degree completion must be approved before the student will receive Title IV funding.

Students who decide to file the Academic Progress Appeal Form must do so within 30 days of receipt of the unsatisfactory progress email notification. Any forms submitted after the 30-day deadline will not be accepted or reviewed.

Financial Aid Warning

Marywood University evaluates academic progress at the end of each semester. Students on a Financial Aid Warning status may continue to receive Title IV aid for one semester despite a determination that the student is not meeting SAP standards. A warning status is granted automatically and may be assigned without an appeal or other action by the student. Students are notified via their Marywood University email account of their warning status.

Financial Aid Probation

Financial Aid Probation status can be granted only after the student has appealed and has had eligibility for aid reinstated. A student on financial aid probation may receive Title IV funds for one semester only. At the completion of the probation semester, the student must have resolved her/his academic deficiency. Failure to do so will result in a loss of Title IV financial aid (including Federal Direct Loans and Federal PLUS loans) until such time as the student has resolved their academic deficiency at their own expense.

All notifications, warnings and appeal decisions will be provided to the student in writing via their Marywood University email account.

State Grant Academic Progress

Academic progress requirements for state grant programs vary from the federal academic progress policy. Academic progress requirements for the Pennsylvania State Grant are communicated directly to recipients with their state grant notification by PHEAA (Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency). 

If you, your spouse's. or your parents' financial circumstances have changed since you completed your FAFSA, you may be eligible for a special circumstance review.

Special circumstances are generally limited to the following conditions:

      • loss of employment or change of employment status
      • divorce/separation or death of a parent/spouse
      • loss of untaxed income (i.e. child support)
      • disability
      • unusually high medical bills or disability-related expenses
      • secondary school tuition expenses
      • loss of one-time income
      • unusual expenses such as dependent care and secondary school

If you feel you have extenuating circumstances, please complete a Special Circumstance Request Form and submit the form and all required documentation to the Financial Aid Office. Incomplete forms and/or insufficient documentation will not be considered for a special circumstance review.

The following enrollment status definitions apply to all terms, including summer, for financial aid purposes.

 Full Time3/4 Time1/2 Time<1/2 Time
Undergraduate credit hours 12+ 9-11 6-8 1-5
Graduate credit hours 6+ 4.5-5.5 3 1-2.5

Students who enroll less than full-time may have their aid adjusted after the add/drop period. Enrollment is confirmed on the last day to drop/add with a tuition credit.

Students enrolled less than half-time may be placed on a loan repayment schedule by a lender or guarantor if the student is the recipient of federal financial aid

The Formula

Wondering how your financial aid award is determined? The financial aid office at your school uses a simple formula: Cost of Attendance - Expected Family Contribution (EFC) = Financial Need.
What Does This Mean?

What Is Cost of Attendance?

The cost of attending Marywood University includes both direct costs and indirect costs. Direct costs are those that you will be billed for such as tuition, fees, housing, and meal plans. Indirect costs, such as rent at an off-campus apartment, books, or transportation to campus, are associated with going to college, but will never appear on your bill from Marywood University. Our indirect costs are based on the typical expenses of a Marywood student. Your indirect costs may vary from these averages.

What Is Expected Family Contribution?

When you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the information that you report (income, assets, number of family members, number in college, etc.) is applied to a formula established by the U.S. Congress. The formula calculates your family’s ability to pay for your educational expenses for the academic year and produces a figure that is referred to as your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). You can find this figure on your Student Aid Report (SAR).

What is Financial Need?

Your financial need is the difference between your cost of attendance, as calculated by the institution, and your Expected Family Contribution, as calculated by the FAFSA.

Cost of Attendance – Expected Family Contribution = Financial Need

Will I Receive the Same Awards from Year to Year?

Applying for financial aid is an annual process. You must complete a FAFSA each year for which you are requesting financial aid. If you do not intend to complete a FAFSA and you have an undergraduate merit award, you should complete the Financial Aid Renewal form each year. Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and your costs will be reevaluated each year, and as a result, your federal and state grants may change. In an effort to maintain fair and equitable standards, Marywood University strives to provide as many students as possible with the resources needed to meet their financial need. University merit awards are renewable each year, up to eight undergraduate semesters regardless of EFC, as long as the student maintains the required QPA. Institutional need-based funds are subject to change annually in accordance with EFC changes. Graduate scholarships and assistantships must be applied for annually.

All applicants for federal student aid are considered either "dependent" or "independent." Dependent students are required to include information about their parents on the FAFSA.

See more about Dependency Status on studentaid.ed.gov.

The Student Has the Right to Ask the School:

  • The names of its accrediting and licensing organizations. The student also has the right to ask for copies of the documents describing the University’s accreditation or licensing.
  • About the University’s programs; its instructional, laboratory, and other physical facilities; and its faculty.
  • The cost of attendance, and the University’s policy on refunds for students who withdraw.
  • What financial assistance is available, including information on all federal, state, local, private, and institutional financial aid programs.
  • Who makes up the financial aid personnel, where they are located, and how to contact the Financial Aid Office for information.
  • What the procedures and deadlines are for submitting the application for each available financial aid program and how financial aid recipients are selected.
  • How financial aid is determined.
  • The interest rates and other costs on any student loan the student has, the total amounts to be repaid, the length of time for repayment, when repayment must start, and what cancellation or deferment (postponement) provisions apply.
  • For a sample loan repayment schedule.
  • If offered a Federal Work-Study job, what kind of job it is, what hours the student must work, what the duties will be, what the rate of pay will be, and how and when payment will be made.
  • To reconsider the financial aid package if a mistake has been made or if enrollment or financial circumstances have changed.
  • How satisfactory progress is determined and what happens if the student is not making satisfactory academic progress.
  • What special facilities and services are available to the disabled.
  • How and when the student will receive financial assistance payments.

It Is the Student's Responsibility to:

  • Review and consider all information about the University prior to enrollment.
  • Know and meet all the deadlines for applying and reapplying for financial aid.
  • Pay special attention to the financial aid application, complete it accurately, and submit it on time to the right place. Errors can delay or prevent the receiving of aid.
  • Provide all documentation, corrections, and new information requested either by the Financial Aid Office or the agency to which the student applied for aid.
  • Complete an entrance interview prior to receiving the first disbursement of a Perkins Loan or Federal Direct Loan.
  • Satisfactorily perform the work agreed upon for a Federal Work-Study job, if the student has one.
  • Understand the University’s refund policy. If the student withdraws from a school within a short time after starting classes, the student may be entitled to a partial reduction of educational charges. After a certain date, charges will not be reduced. The student must check with the Cashier’s Office to determine deadlines for withdrawal.
  • Read, understand, and keep copies of all forms the student is asked to sign.
  • Notify the University of any information that has changed since the student has applied for financial aid.
  • Notify the University in a change in name, address, or attendance status (full-time, half-time, etc.)
  • Complete an exit interview prior to graduation or withdrawal if the student has Federal Direct loans.
  • Repay any student loans. When the student signs a promissory note, the student agrees to repay any loans.

Outside scholarships must be reported to the Financial Aid Office. The Outside Scholarship Notification form is available on the Financial Aid Office Forms page. Outside awards, when added to other financial aid awards received, will first fill any unmet need. Once need has been met, an adjustment will be made to the self-help portion of the package. Marywood scholarships and grants will not be affected by receipt of an outside scholarship unless the student's gift aid exceeds Cost of Attendance. It is very important that students receiving outside awards notify the Financial Aid Office as early as possible, so that necessary adjustments can be made before loans are processed.

Official Withdrawal/Cancellation from the University

If you withdraw during a semester in which you are receiving financial aid, you may be required to repay some or all of the financial aid you received for the term. The amount of aid you must repay will depend upon your date of withdrawal. Federal financial aid regulations specify that you “earn” your financial aid by remaining enrolled through more than 60% of the entire semester for which you receive aid. If you withdraw prior to that time, you must repay the aid you did not “earn” based on the federal formula. 

Pennsylvania and other state grants will be adjusted in accordance with each agency’s stated guidelines. It is expected that PA State Grant funds will be reduced by the same percent reduction in tuition received by a student when completely withdrawing from the University.

Marywood University grants and scholarships will be adjusted based upon the percentage of reduction of tuition received by a student when withdrawing from the University AND ONLY to the extent that those institutional funds do not create nor contribute to a credit balance. Marywood University funding may only be applied towards tuition and will not be applied to any institutional fees, room charges, or meal plan charges.

Additional Information about the Withdrawal and Refund Policies is available. Before you decide to withdraw from the University, you should contact the Financial Aid Office and the Cashier’s Office to determine the amount(s) and type(s) of aid you may have to repay. Specific information regarding the University’s refund policy may be obtained from the University Cashier’s Office.

Depending on the date of your withdrawal, you may also receive a tuition credit which may offset a portion of the aid repayment. Please visit the University Cashier's Office website for more details.

Unofficial Withdrawal/Cancellation from the University

It is also important to note that federal regulations also govern "unofficial" withdrawals. As stated in the regulations on federal aid:

"If a student who began attendance and has not officially withdrawn fails to earn a passing grade in at least one course offered over an entire period, the institution must assume, for Title IV purposes, that the student has unofficially withdrawn, unless the institution can document that the student completed the period."

Therefore, if you do not achieve a passing grade in any of your courses in a given semester or summer session, you will be considered to have unofficially withdrawn from the University during that enrollment period and may be required to repay all or a portion of the aid that you did not earn.

Census Date Enrollment

The census date is the last date to drop or add a course with a tuition credit. The Federal Pell Grant Program and some Marywood University grants and scholarships require that if your award has already been determined as of the census date, your enrollment as of that date is the enrollment status that must be used to determine or re-determine your eligibility for those programs. In some cases, students are able to add coursework after the census date. However, even in these circumstances, the enrollment status as of the census date must be used for these programs. Summer census dates are not tied to the university tuition refund schedule, therefore, students should inquire directly with the Financial Aid Office for summer census dates.

Repeated Courses

Federal aid guidelines allow students to repeat a course that you have already passed one time ONLY. On your third enrollment in a course that you’ve successfully passed, you can no longer receive financial aid for that course.

Coursework toward Degree

Federal guidelines will only permit students to receive financial aid for courses which apply to their degree. You may receive federal financial aid toward free electives within your degree audit, but you cannot receive aid for non-degree coursework.

Awarding of Aid

Marywood University is committed to being good stewards of institutional financial aid resources, and, in doing so, the University strives to provide assistance to all students who demonstrate financial need.

      • The University's priority is to first award institutional grant funding and campus-based funding to full-time students who apply for aid by the February 15th priority deadline.

      • Applications received after February 15th are considered for federal and state aid, and for campus-based and institutional aid as long as funds remain.

      • Institutional aid may be reduced if a student receives outside aid after the original award has been offered.

      • Federal work study is offered first to incoming freshmen with the highest need and those who received work-study funding in the prior year. A waiting list is maintained for students who were not offered work study but wish to be considered if funds become available.

      • Loans are offered to all eligible students. Willingness to borrow a loan does not affect consideration for grant aid.

      • Part-time students receive reduced federal and state funding but are not eligible for undergraduate university merit awards or an undergraduate university need-based grant. Part-time students are eligible for federal student loans if enrolled on at least a half-time basis (a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester for undergraduates and a minimum of 3 credits hours per semester for graduate students).

5- to 6-Year Bachelor's To Master's Programs

When a student is enrolled in a program with a Master's degree component, s/he may only use a Marywood University Merit Award until s/he is deemed to have completed his/her Bachelor's degree. For some students and programs this may be 7 semesters, for others, it may be 10 semesters. Students are advised to review their program carefully and speak with someone from the Financial Aid Office if they have questions.

Housing Status Change

Undergraduate students who move off-campus may likely experience a reduction in institutional need-based funds in order to reflect the appropriate award level for an off-campus or commuter student. On-campus resident students are advised to speak with someone in the Financial Aid Office before moving off-campus. 

Financial Aid Disbursement

Scholarships and grants which include university merit and need-based funds, Pell Grants, SEOG and PHEAA grants will normally be applied toward your university charges during the ten days immediately preceding the first day of each semester. Student loans will normally be applied toward your university charges on the first day of each semester.

Financial Aid awarded and administered by the Financial Aid Office (except Federal Work Study) is disbursed by the Cashier’s Office. Financial aid is first used to pay any outstanding tuition, fees, room and board charges for each semester.  If you are due a refund, you will be notified by the Cashier’s Office via email. Students are encouraged to sign up for eRefunds to receive their refunds most efficiently. Students receiving checks may pick them up at the Cashier’s Office, Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. All students must show their student ID card or driver’s license when picking up refund checks.

*Students participating in study abroad programs that may require disbursement dates outside of the standard academic calendar should contact the Financial Aid Office.

Scholarship Disbursement

Scholarships are split into two equal disbursements, half for each semester, unless your donor requests a single disbursement.

Illegal Drug Conviction

Students who have been convicted of possessing or selling illegal drugs may have their eligibility for federal aid revoked. For more information, please visit the Federal Student Aid website.

Loan Cancellation

If you decide to cancel a loan after funds have already been received, you should contact the Financial Aid Office within 14 days of disbursement for instructions on how to cancel that loan. 

Communication from the Financial Aid Office

Our office communicates with students primarily by sharing information online.  

      • Students should check their Marywood University student email account on a daily basis or the MarywoodYou student portal for financial aid status information.  

      • New students will receive one paper award letter; revisions to the award will be available for viewing on the MarywoodYou student portal.  

Students are sent an email notification when there are changes after the original award letter. Similarly, when our office requires additional information, we will request documentation electronically. We will send one paper letter detailing missing information and communicate via email after that time.