Student Resources

Course Load

Undergraduate Students

A full-time student carries from 12-18 semester hours of credit in both fall and spring semesters. Credits in excess of 18 require the approval of the appropriate Dean, who will base the decision on such factors as grades, distribution of courses, extracurricular activities, health, and outside employment of the student. A maximum of six credits can be taken in one summer session. Undergraduate students who have senior status (completed 90 credits or more) may be permitted to take up to 12 graduate credits with the permission of the department chair and deans. Students requesting permission must have a minimum of 3.00 grade point average.

Undergraduate Residency Requirement

Students entering Marywood in the Fall 2018 semester and later must complete the last 30 credits of their degree program at Marywood University. This does not include the following students: 

  • those who are completing their final 30 credits (or less) by studying abroad 
  • those who are registered via consortium registration

Graduate Students

A full-time student carries from 6 - 16 semester hours of credit in both fall and spring semesters. Credits in excess of 16 require the approval of the appropriate Dean.

Credit Hour Definition

Marywood University defines its credit hour in compliance with both United States and Pennsylvania Department of Education requirements.  Marywood designs its academic calendar to meet or exceed the minimum standards for class meetings, assuring that there are 14 hours of classroom instruction, exclusive of holidays or final examinations. The credit hour consists of one hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction per week with two hours of out of classroom work over the course of the fifteen week semester. Thereby, each semester consists of 14 hours of classroom instruction with a 15th week devoted to a final examination or culminating experience and each credit hour represents fifteen contact hours spent in class. In the case of a three credit course, the student will have 45 contact hours spent in class for a total of 135 hours of work inside and outside the classroom. For all alternate instructional delivery methods, laboratories, or independent studies the credit hour represents an equivalent to the minimum requirement for classroom instruction.  Online courses are conducted 100% online (with the exception of a possible optional in-person orientation). Courses are considered to be hybrid if 20% (equivalent to three weeks of classes) or more of the course is online.  Summer sessions meet the required instructional hours per credit in the compressed timeframe of a shorter six-week session.

Undergraduate Academic Standards

A student must attain a cumulative quality point average (QPA) of 2.00 to satisfy degree requirements. A minimum of 2.33 is required in one's major. Some major programs require a higher QPA. Individual program descriptions provide specific information.

Good Standing
- A student is in good standing when his/her cumulative quality point average is at least 2.00.

Warning - Whenever the quality point average for a semester is less than 2.00, but the cumulative quality point average is 2.00 or better, the student will be warned.

Probation - A student will be placed on probation if a QPA of 1.00 is not achieved in any given semester or whenever his/her quality point average falls below 2.00. Probation is temporary; it is, therefore, not included in the student's academic record. A first semester student's quality point average is the same as his or her cumulative quality point average. The consequences of being on probation include:

  1. academic dismissal after one semester on probation if the student's QPA does not improve significantly;
  2. possible required reduction in course load;
  3. ineligibility to participate in varsity athletics;
  4. ineligibility to hold office in Student Government;
  5. loss of financial aid.

Repeated Probation - If a student's cumulative quality point average increases and, though still below 2.00, indicates possibility to attain the standards required for graduation, the student may be continued on probation for another semester.

Dismissal - Upon recommendation of the Committee on Grades, Honors, and Academic Standing, the appropriate dean will dismiss:

  1. a student who fails to improve his/her cumulative quality point average at the end of a semester or more on probation.
  2. a student whose cumulative quality point average increases, though still remaining below 2.00, if the student's academic record indicates little potential for attaining the academic standards required for graduation. (Academic dismissal is recorded on the student's academic record.)
  3. a student who has had previous but in-consecutive semesters on probation.
  4. a student who fails to achieve a 1.00 in any two semesters.

    Students may also be dismissed for other academic reasons, such as academic dishonesty.

Student Status

Students who have applied to and have been formally admitted by the Office of Admissions of the University to pursue a degree program are classified as follows:

First year students: 0-29 credits completed
Sophomores: 30-59 credits completed
Juniors: 60-89 credits completed
Seniors: 90 or more credits completed

The status of matriculating students is indicated by the name associated with the umber of credits eared.

Unclassified Students

Unclassified students may be taking courses for personal enrichment, transfer credit, and other non-degree purposes or in special educational programs offered through the University.

Academic Records

A student who believes that an error has been made in assignment of a grade must initiate immediate contact with the instructor of the course; any changes made by the faculty member must be made within 90 days of the end of the semester for which the grade was assigned, or in the case of the resolution of an "I" or "X" grade, within 90 days of the filing of that grade.
The student is responsible for reporting in writing to the Office of Academic Records any other error on the academic record within 30 days after a grade or other academic record report is issued to the student. Marywood University will not be liable for unreported errors on student records.

Academic Appeal

Students with sufficient cause to file an academic appeal should initiate the process according to the procedures established for such action. Academic Appeals procedures are available from all department offices and in the Offices of the Deans. Grade appeals must be made within 60 days of the end of the semester in which the grade was assigned.

Prior to Applying

Before you submit your application to graduate, make sure you have met with your advisor to make certain all degree requirements have been or will be met, prior to graduation.

How to Apply

Eligible students can apply for graduation using the MarywoodYOU Portal. Please ensure that the way your major(s) and minor(s) are listed on your application is correct. If there are any discrepancies or if you have any questions please contact Robert Siock via email at

Below are the application windows for each graduation.

Graduation Fee

Please be aware that when you submit your graduation application, a fee of $275 will be added to your bill. This fee will immediately be reflected on your account. 
You must apply before the deadline for the graduation you plan to attend.


Application Opens

Application Deadline

December Graduation

March 30th

December 1st

May Graduation

October 28th

April 1st

August Graduation

February 10th

August 1st

Missed the window to apply? Please contact your Dean’s office. 

When selecting your graduation term on the application please remember: for December graduation, choose fall. For May graduation, choose spring. For August graduation, choose summer II.

Additional Information

  • It is the responsibility of the student to apply for graduation through the Marywood portal by the appropriate deadline.
  • If you applied to graduate in the past but did not graduate, you must meet with your academic advisor and reapply for graduation.
  • The University Commencement ceremony is held in May only. Information will be emailed to students who apply for May graduation, as well as students who graduated the previous August and December.
  • Students will not receive their diploma or transcript until all financial obligations have been met. 

Visit Commencement Website

When filling out the Diploma Name field on the graduation application form, keep in mind that the requested name may only be some variation of the student's legal name listed on the official academic record. For example: Student John Adam Smith may request his diploma name as John A. Smith, John Adam Smith, or John Smith. If your legal name needs to be updated, you can submit a Change of Name form along with appropriate documentation.

Enrollment Verifications

Enrollment verifications provide proof of enrollment and term start and end dates. The Marywood University student ID and Social Security numbers are not included. Verifications may be used to confirm enrollment to insurers, lenders, and any other third party requesting the information. 

Degree Verifications

Degree verifications confirm the degree(s) conferred, conferral date(s), dates of attendance, and major program of study. The Marywood University student ID and Social Security numbers are not included. Degree verifications are most commonly requested by prospective employers but may also be released to other third parties.

Requesting an Enrollment or Degree Verification

Current or Former Students

Current or former students may request an enrollment or degree verification using the following methods:

Marywood University has contracted with the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) to provide enrollment and degree verification services to students. Visit to request an enrollment or degree verification certificate. A fee will apply based on the type of service requested. In most instances, the enrollment or degree verification certificate is available immediately. 

Third Party Requestors

Marywood University has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide enrollment and degree verifications. Third party requests received by our office will be referred to the National Student Clearinghouse. The National Student Clearinghouse may be contacted at:

National Student Clearinghouse
2300 Dulles Station Boulevard
Suite 300
Herndon, VA 20171

Annual Notice to Students

Annually, Marywood University informs students of The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), which affords students certain rights with respect to their education records.

They are:

  • The right to inspect and review the student's educational records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access.A student should submit to the Registrar, Dean, Head of the Academic Department, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the record(s) may be inspected. If the record(s) are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  • The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record(s) that they want to have changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the University decides not to amend the record(s) as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision, and the Vice President of the area concerned will advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  • The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education record(s), except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. Exceptions include disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interest, to officials of other institutions in which the student seeks to enroll, to persons or organizations providing the student financial aid, to accrediting agencies carrying out their accreditation function, to persons in compliance with a judicial order, and to persons in an emergency in order to protect the health or safety of students or other persons. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health services staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted as its agent to provide a service instead of using University employees or officials; a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest only if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the University. Except where prescribed by law, information regarding a student's education records may not be disclosed to a parent, guardian, or spouse without the student's written authorization. Upon request, the school may also disclose education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
  • As of January 3, 2012, the U.S. Department of Education's FERPA regulations expand the circumstances under which a student's education records and personally identifiable information (PII) contained in such records - including Social Security Number, grades, or other private information - may be accessed without the student's consent.
    • First, the U.S. Comptroller General, the U.S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or state and local education authorities ("Federal and State Authorities") may allow access to records and PII without student consent to any third party designated by a Federal or State Authority to evaluate a federal- or state-supported education program. The evaluation may relate to any program that is "principally engaged in the provision of education," such as early childhood education and job training, as well as, any program that is administered by an education agency or institution.
    • Second, Federal and State Authorities may allow access to student education records and PII without consent to researchers performing certain types of studies, in certain cases even when we object to or do not request such research. Federal and State Authorities must obtain certain use restriction and data security promises from the entities that they authorize to receive a student's PII, but the Authorities need not maintain direct control over such entities. In addition, in connection with Statewide Longitudinal Data Systems, State Authorities may collect, compile, permanently retain, and share without the student's consent PII from education records, and they may track the student's participation in education and other programs by linking such PII to other personal information about the individual that they obtain from other Federal or State data sources, including work force development, unemployment insurance, child welfare, juvenile justice, military service, and migrant student records systems.
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Marywood University to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-4605

The full policy, including a directory of education records maintained on students in this institution is available below.

Definition of Directory Information

Marywood University hereby designates the following categories of student information as public or "Directory Information." Such information may be disclosed by the institution for any purpose, at its discretion.

  • Category I Name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, dates of attendance, enrollment status, and class.
  • Category II Previous institution(s) attended, major field of study, awards, honors, degree(s) conferred (including dates).

Currently-enrolled students may withhold disclosure of any category of information under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. To withhold disclosure, written notification must be received in the Office of the Registrar. Forms requesting witholding of "Directory Information" are available in the Office of Academic Records and online. Marywood University assumes that failure on the part of any student to specifically request the withholding of categories of "Directory Information" indicates individual approval for disclosure.

Marywood students may be assured that even with their permission, directory information is disclosed only on rare occasions. The policy of Marywood University allows the disclosure of such information to non-institutional personnel only for serious reason and at the discretion of the person responsible for the student record involved.

William Manley
Interim University Registrar
September 2022

Marywood University Policy Statement

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 is a federal law which states that a written institutional policy must be established, and that a statement of adopted procedures covering the privacy rights of students be made available. The law provides that the institution will maintain the confidentiality of student education records.

Marywood University accords all the rights under the law to eligible students. No one outside the institution shall have access to nor will the University disclose any information from a student's education records without the written consent of the student except as permitted under the Act.  Examples of sanctioned release without prior consent are:  to personnel within the institution, to officials of other institutions in which the student seeks to enroll, to persons or organizations providing the student financial aid, to accrediting agencies carrying out their accreditation function, to persons in compliance with a judicial order, and to persons in an emergency in order to protect the health or safety of students or other persons. 

Within the Marywood University community, only those members, individually or collectively, acting in the student's educational interest are allowed access to student education records. These members include personnel in the administrative offices that maintain student records, and academic/student affairs personnel within the limitations of their need to know. Should a question occur about accessibility, the vice president of the area concerned should be consulted.

At its discretion, the institution may provide Directory Information in accordance with the provisions of the Act to include: student name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, dates of attendance, class, enrollment status, previous institution(s) attended, major field of study, awards, honors, degree(s) conferred (including dates). Students may withhold Directory Information by notifying the Registrar on the appropriate form.  Request for non-disclosure will be honored by the institution until the student acts to rescind the non-disclosure request.

The law provides students with the right to inspect and review information contained in their education records, to challenge the contents of their education records, to have a hearing if the outcome of the challenge is unsatisfactory, and to submit explanatory statements for inclusion in their files if they feel the decision of the hearing panel is unacceptable. The Registrar at Marywood University has been designated by the institution to coordinate the inspection and review procedures for student education records, which include admissions, personal, academic, and financial files, and academic, cooperative education, and placement records.

A student wishing to review his/her education records must make a written request to the officer responsible for the maintenance of the record concerned listing the item or items of interest. Records covered by the Act will be made available within forty-five days of the request. Copies of records are normally provided only in cases where a failure to do so would prevent the student from reviewing the record.  Marywood University reserves the right to refuse a student a copy of his or her transcript if the student has a financial indebtedness to the University or if the original or source document exists elsewhere. Copies provided to the student are made at the student's expense at prevailing rates.

Education records do not include records of instructional, administrative, and educational personnel that are the sole possession of the maker and are not accessible or revealed to any individual, except a substitute who performs on a temporary basis the duties of the individual, records of the law enforcement unit, student health records, employment records, or alumni records. Health records, however, may be reviewed by physicians of the student's choosing.

Students may not inspect and review the following as outlined by the Act: financial information submitted by their parents; confidential letters and recommendations associated with admissions, employment or job placement, or honors to which they have waived their rights of inspection and review; or education records containing information about more than one student, in which case the institution will permit access only to that part of the record which pertains to the inquiring student. The institution is not required to permit students to inspect and review confidential letters and recommendations placed in their files prior to January 1, 1975, provided those letters were collected under established policies of confidentiality and were used only for the purposes for which they were collected.

A student who believes that an education record contains information that is inaccurate or misleading, or is otherwise in violation of his or her privacy or other rights may discuss the problem informally with the officer responsible for the maintenance of that record. If the decision is in agreement with the student's request, the appropriate record(s) will be amended. If not, the student will be notified within a reasonable period of time that the record(s) will not be amended; and will be informed by the vice president of the area concerned of his or her right to a formal hearing. A student's request for a formal hearing must be made in writing to the appropriate vice president/provost who, within a reasonable period of time after receiving such request, will inform the student of the date, place, and the time of the hearing. Students may present evidence relevant to the issues raised and may be assisted or represented at the hearings by one or more persons of their choice, including attorneys, at the student's expense. The hearing panel that will adjudicate such challenges will be the vice president/provost of the area concerned and four individuals appointed by the President of the University. These persons will be selected according to the nature of the particular case.

Decision of the hearing panel will be final, will be based solely on the evidence presented at the hearing, and will consist of written statements summarizing the evidence and stating the reasons for the decision, and will be delivered to all parties concerned. The education records will be corrected or amended in accordance with the decision of the hearing panel if the decision is in favor of the student. If the decision is unsatisfactory to the student, the student may place with his/her education record statements commenting on the information in records, or statements setting forth any reasons for disagreeing with the decision of the hearing panel. The statements will be placed in the education record, maintained as part of the student's record, and released whenever the record in question is disclosed.

Students who believe that the adjudications of their challenges were unfair, or not in keeping with the provisions of the Act may request in writing, assistance from the President of the University. Further, students who believe that their rights have been abridged may file complaints with The Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue SW, Washington, D.C. 20202-8520, concerning the alleged failures of Marywood University to comply with the Act.

Revisions and clarifications will be published as experience with the law and Marywood University's policy warrants.

The Registrar's Office maintains a list of offices that maintain ownership of student records.

That list is as follows:

Academic Record University Registrar Liberal Arts Center
Student Account Manager of Cashier's Office Liberal Arts Center
Financial Aid Director of Financial Aid Liberal Arts Center
Student Life Vice President for Enrollment Services and Student Success Liberal Arts Center
Placement Career Engagement Specialist Learning Commons
Field Placement Supervision (School of Social Work) Director, School of Social Work Immaculata Hall
Student Teaching Supervision Director, Professional Education Field Experience McGowan Center for Graduate and Professional Education
Health Services Director of Student Health Services Loughran Hall
E-mail Addresses Director of Information Technology Immaculata Hall

Faculty Resources

Academic Scheduling Protocols

The following resources are made available in order to assist academic departments in the scheduling of classes each term.


In order to fulfill the mission of Marywood University and its belief that education empowers people, the classroom facilities are primarily for use by students and faculty for activities and programs that are directly related and supportive of the basic educational functions of teaching, research, and the preparation of scholarly material. Every effort is made to ensure that classrooms are assigned fairly, used appropriately, and accommodate the University’s academic and instructional needs. 

The protocols contained in this document are designed to ensure that courses are scheduled in such a way that a wide variety of standard time slots are used.  The utilization of a variety of standard time-slots is a student-driven model which ensures that undergraduate students who choose to take full advantage of the flat tuition option of 18 credits will be able to schedule a full slate of courses. 

Classrooms and related teaching facilities are a finite resource and the goal of these policies is to maximize room and seat capacity in a fair and equitable manner. These objectives apply to all academic departments and classroom space. 

The scheduling of academic space is an ever-evolving process which demands the re-evaluation of class capacity, equipment and technology needs, and pedagogical changes. Since space will be assessed each time schedules are drafted for a term, faculty members should not expect to use the same space on a continuing basis.


The Office of the University Registrar (OUR) has the responsibility to schedule all academic space. 

Each academic department is responsible for evaluating the schedule of classes for a specific term and providing accurate updates to the OUR during the established production schedule.

Contact Hours (Credit Hour Definition)

Marywood University defines its credit hour in compliance with both the United States and the Pennsylvania Departments of Education requirements. Marywood designs its academic calendar to meet or exceed the minimum standards for class meetings, assuring that there are 14 hours of classroom instruction, exclusive of holidays or final examinations. 

The credit hour consists of one hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction per week with two hours of out of classroom work over the course of the fifteen week semester. Thereby, each semester consists of 14 hours of classroom instruction with a 15th week devoted to a final examination or culminating experience. Each credit hour represents fifteen hours spent in class. In the case of a three credit course, the student will have 45 contact hours spent in class and an additional 90 hours outside of the classroom for a total of 135 hours. 

For all alternate instructional delivery methods, laboratories, or independent studies, the credit hour represents an equivalent to the minimum requirement for classroom instruction.

Instructors of Record

An instructor (or instructors) of record is assigned to each course section. It is understood that the instructor(s) assigned to the course section will be the person(s) responsible for the teaching of the course, addressing student outcomes assessment of the course, and for issuing grades to the enrolled students. 

Instructors of record have access to certain student data protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Therefore, it is imperative that the correct instructor(s) be associated with courses at all times. 

Standard Course Meeting Times

Each school and department must schedule courses across the entire range of standard scheduling times. In cases where multiple sections of the same course are scheduled, the times should be varied. During the fall and spring semesters, no more than ten percent of classes by discipline may be scheduled at a particular time. Meeting times designated with an asterisk(*) are exempt from this requirement. 

Monday/ Wednesday/ Friday and Tuesday/Thursday scheduling patterns should both always be used, in addition to the scheduling of classes in the evening, as appropriate.

MWF 8:00 A.M. - 9:00
MWF 9:00 A.M. - 10:00
MWF 10:00 A.M. - 11:00
MWF 11:00 A.M. - 12:00
MWF 12:00 NOON - 1:00
MWF 1:00 P.M. - 2:00
MWF 2:00 P.M. - 3:00
MW 4:00 P.M. - 5:30
MF M 3:00 P.M.- 5:00, F 3:00 P.M.- 4:00*
TR 8:30 A.M. - 10:00
TR 10:00 A.M. - 11:30
TR 11:30 A.M. - 1:00
TR 1:00 P.M. - 2:30
TR 2:30 P.M. - 4:00
TR 4:00 P.M. - 5:30
MONDAY 6:00 P.M. - 9:00*
TUESDAY 6:00 P.M. - 9:00*
WEDNESDAY 6:00 P.M. - 9:00*
THURSDAY 6:00 P.M. - 9:00*
SATURDAY 9:30 A.M. - 3:00*
MONDAY 5:30 P.M. - 8:30*
TUESDAY 5:30 P.M. - 8:30*
WEDNESDAY 5:30 P.M. - 8:30*
THURSDAY 5:30 P.M. - 8:30*

MWF MW 9:00 A.M. - 11:20, F 9:00 A.M. - 11:00
MWF MW 1:00 P.M. - 3:30
MWF 8:30 A.M. 12:00
MW 1:00 P.M. - 4:30
MW 5:30 P.M. - 9:00
TR 8:30 A.M. - 12:00
TR 1:00 P.M. - 4:30
TR 5:30 P.M. - 9:00
SATURDAY 9:30 A.M - 4:30 (1 HR. LUNCH; 10 MIN BREAK)

Standard Course Meeting Time Exceptions

All classes are expected to adhere to the above requirements. A request for an exception is subject to the approval of the dean of the college in which the school or department resides. An exception is specific to the reason for which it is requested and the specific class for which it is approved. Any exception is subject to classroom availability. 

Procedure for exception request:

  • During the course draft process, the school/department chair submits an exception request to the dean. The request should accompany the draft course offering document when sent to the dean.
  • The dean reviews the request and communicates the decision to the OUR when the approved draft course offering document is submitted for processing. 

The OUR will review the draft course offering document to ensure all classes are scheduled according to standard course meeting times. If any courses are found to be scheduled in non-standard times and an exception request is not on file, the OUR will communicate this to the school/department. The course will not be added to Colleague until the exception request is adjudicated.  

Given the curricular nature of the programs in the following schools/departments, courses will exist which are scheduled outside of the standard meeting times. Even though the need exists to schedule classes outside of these time parameters, an effort should be made, whenever possible, to utilize the University standard. 

The School of Architecture
The School of Social Work
The Department of Music, Theater, and Dance
The Department of Visual Arts
The Communication Arts Department

Room Assignment Policy

The highest initial scheduling priority will be given to those courses which meet in a standard time as defined above.  Technology, accessibility, pedagogical, and special feature needs will be taken into account based on the information provided to the OUR during the course draft process for a particular semester. To the extent possible, classes will be assigned to classrooms in the academic department’s home building or in buildings geographically close to the home building. 

Courses scheduled outside of the standard course meeting times are assigned after other courses which comply with the University’s class time standards. 

Discipline-specific space should be noted on course scheduling sheets during the course draft process so that the information may be entered into the Student Information System. This avoids duplication of work and streamlines the room optimization process.  

Scheduling and Final Examinations

All final examinations are held in the classroom originally assigned to the course, except in circumstances where there exists an approved exception to the standard meeting time. The non-standard final examination schedule will reflect the alternate room assignment.

Classroom Accessibility

The OUR works closely with the Office of Disability Services and Human Resources to ensure that classrooms and related academic spaces are fully accessible for disabled students and faculty. Classroom assignments may be changed if a previously assigned room is determined to be inaccessible for a student or faculty, especially in cases where there exists an emergency or temporary disability.

Changes in Classroom Assignments

Schools, departments, and faculty may not move their class from an assigned room without prior approval from the OUR.    

In the event of an emergency evacuation of a classroom or building, the OUR will relocate classes to temporary classrooms or meeting rooms. 

Once the scheduling process is complete, the OUR will initiate a change in classroom assignment at any time for the following reasons:

  • emergency/temporary disability of the instructor or an enrolled student
  • time or day changes to a previously approved class section
  • the number of enrolled students is greater than the room capacity 

The instructor of record may request a change of classroom assignment if the requested classroom is vacant for the duration of the semester. Such requests will only be processed after the first two weeks of the semester.  

Only in unusual and compelling circumstances will room assignments be approved for changes of classroom assignments other than for the reasons stated above.

Changing the time/day of a course

Changing the time/day of a previously approved course causes detriment to a student’s schedule and should only be done prior to the opening of registration for the given term (for the major semesters, registration begins between the 9th and 11th week of the prior semester; registration for summer begins in mid-February). If the OUR receives a request to change the time/day of a course once registration has begun, a rationale will be requested from the school/department chairperson, unless one was previously submitted. 

No changes to the time/day of a course will be made once the term begins except under very unusual circumstances.

Room size and configuration

Seating capacity has been determined for each room in accordance with state and local ordinances. In order to adequately schedule classes into the most appropriate room, it is important to accurately reflect the capacity of a course during the course draft process.  If a school or department over enroll a course, the OUR must be notified immediately to determine if alternate space is available. 

Technology equipment may not be removed from one room and placed in another for any reason. If adequate technology does not exist in the room, the faculty or school/department should contact the Technology Helpdesk for assistance. 

Furniture may not be removed from one room and placed in another for any reason.  Any furniture which is moved within the room for the duration of the class must be moved back to the original configuration.

Classroom Maintenance

Housekeeping staff under the direction of Building Services is responsible for general and routine cleaning of classrooms. If a faculty member has a concern with the following, a Buildings and Grounds Work Request should be submitted: 

  • Cleanliness of the classroom or academic space
  • Damage to the room
  • Lighting replacement 

The Audio/Visual System Specialist is responsible for the maintenance and repair of all technology in a classroom or academic space. A ticket should be submitted to the Technology Helpdesk when any computer, overhead projector, computer projection equipment, television, and related A/V equipment is found to be inoperable.

Special Academic And Related Room Requests

Requests for classroom or academic space reservations for use by academic departments for college/school/department meetings or for course-related academic use are accepted up to one year in advance and are scheduled after the classes have been placed for the session. 

An academic or non-academic room request for an event that falls during the first two weeks of the fall or spring semester is scheduled one day prior to the event, in order that classroom and academic space remain available should an emergency need arise which necessitates the moving of a class.

Scheduling Reports

Reports Available on Colleague

Course Section Schedule (Form CSSC) 

Displays course section schedules in a variety of ways using a multitude of selection criteria. 

Section Availability Report (Form CSAR) 

Displays the availability of a section by selected location or faculty. 

Reports Available on the Reporting Server 

Semester Reporting Folder

  • Master Schedule: displays the master schedule of classes for the selected term.
  • Master Schedule by Day: displays the master schedule by day for a selected term.
  • Master Schedule by School: displays the master schedule by school and subject for a selected term. The data is sorted by faculty within the subject.
  • Master Schedule Prior to Fall 2012 (Legacy): displays the master schedule for the selected legacy term.
  • Master Schedule with Faculty Rank: displays the master schedule for a selected term and includes the faculty rank current with the selected term.
  • Master Schedule - Classes With Low Enrollment: displays the master schedule for a selected term where the student tally is less than or equal to a prompted number.
  • Master Schedule With Requisites: displays the master schedule, including requisite information.
  • Catalog Master Summary Information: displays the Catalog Master for the selected college/school/department and includes the current status of the course.
  • Catalog Master Detail Information: displays the Catalog Master for the selected college/school/department and includes the credit amount, grade scheme, course description, requisite information, and related information.

Request Forms

Catalog Master Change Form: used by the college/school/department to add/update/retire a course from the Catalog Master. 

Master Schedule Change Form: used by the college/school/department to add/update/cancel a class from a specific term.

Class Rosters are viewable by using the Faculty Information functions available through the MarywoodYou portal which may be accessed via the Marywood website. These rosters will provide accurate and current information regarding the enrollees in your course(s) on an ongoing basis. All faculty are asked to verify attendance in their classes using the online listing of students.

Marywood University must, in order to be compliant with federal regulation, collect information regarding student attendance. We are required to track cases both where a student does not report to a class, as well as, those students who subsequently discontinue attendance along with the last date on which they appeared. In addition, Marywood practice dictates that in cases where a student fails to report to class the registration for that course is canceled. Students who have attended (even once) are responsible for processing a withdrawal from the course. We rely on faculty for accurate information as there are academic and financial consequences for both the student and University. Your decisions in this regard cannot be arbitrary; we have to depend upon you for the facts.

 All faculty should use the online form to indicate the following:

  1. Students who were "no shows" for a class: Please submit this information using the online format. Do not notate it on the WebAdvisor Class Roster. It is important that we have this information as soon as possible so that we can act to remove the student.
  2. Students who stopped coming to class along with their last date of attendance
  3. Students who are attending but do not appear on the Class Roster: Note that if a student comes to class who was not on your list when last accessed, send the student to the Academic Records Office to complete the process. If the student indicates that s/he has registered for the class, the student may be allowed to remain in class. You can later access your class list on-line to verify that any student who is not on your list is properly enrolled. If the student does not appear on the list s/he should be directed to the Academic Records Office prior to the next class meeting.
  4. Verify that the roster and student attendance reconcile

All faculty are asked to complete the online form as soon as possible, but definitely by the specified date.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Cancelled/Closed Courses

Chairpersons, not the Registrar, make decisions on cancellation of courses, differential scheduling, etc. Course instructors are requested not to tell students that they will allow them into any section which is considered "closed." If it is necessary for a student to be placed in a closed section, the student will be waitlisted and notified of an open seat in the course via email. Only chairpersons may authorize students for registration into a closed course or overriding the waitlist.

Deficiency Grades

At the mid-term faculty are again requested to verify student attendance using the same parameters as at the opening of semester. Deficiency grades (D+, D, F and U) are collected on-line for undergraduate students. Faculty will be notified of the deadline for submission of deficiency grades and when access to WebAdvisor grading forms will open.

Faculty members are encouraged to record a deficiency grade for any undergraduate student who has discontinued attendance but failed to officially withdraw from the course. This will serve to advise the student of the academic consequences which will result from walking away from the class.

Final Grades

Information regarding final grading is disseminated approximately two weeks before the end of a semester.

  1. Faculty members have access to on-line grading through the MarywoodYou portal.
  2. A semester deadline for submission of grades is established and disseminated. NO EXCEPTIONS CAN BE GRANTED TO THE SPECIFIC TIME FOR SUBMISSION OF GRADES.
  3. Every student on the list must be graded.

Specific Grading Policies

  1. Withdrawals

    F* -Student stopped attending but never officially withdrew from course, thereby incurring a failing grade. (Exception: a letter grade may be assigned if the student has already earned it.)

         W - A "W" grade will automatically be assigned to students who drop a course during the time that a withdrawn grade is required. Faculty may alter that grade to "WP" or "WF" at their discretion. Faculty who wish to exercise the option to assign a "WP" or "WF" should so notify the Registrar's Office.

  2. Incompletes

    A student who has done satisfactory work in a course but has not completed the course requirements because of illness or some other emergency situation may be given the standing "I." An incomplete must be resolved within one month after the opening of the following semester. If the student fails to complete the required work within the time allotted, the course instructor will change the "I" to an appropriate grade. If the course instructor fails to do this, the Registrar will change the grade. In most cases, the temporary "I" will become a permanent "F*." It is the student's responsibility both to apply for "I" standing and to make satisfactory arrangements with the instructor for completion of course requirements. Thus, an "Incomplete" may not be assigned unless a student applies for this status and is eligible. The student may download the Request for Incomplete Form or obtain one at Room 90, Liberal Arts Center to be presented to the Instructor for signature. This form is assurance that the student is aware of University policy and may not subsequently shift the burden of responsibility for the "I" and its resolution to the instructor. The form should be completed by the Instructor and returned to the Academic Records Office. Note that the form includes the grade to which the Registrar should make the change should the student complete no additional work.

    Faculty make grade changes from "I" to a permanent grade by completing a Change of Grade Form. The form must carry the signature of the instructor and date. The course instructor's grade change statement becomes a permanent record. These forms may be completed in person at the Office of Academic Records, submitted by fax, or scanned and submitted by email.

         Approval for extension of "I" grades beyond the time allowed must be put in writing by the appropriate academic dean and submitted to the Registrar. The extension is not given beyond the end of the semester in which the "I" was to be resolved. It is the student's responsibility to seek this extension with the written consent of the course instructor. After an "Incomplete" has been changed to a failing grade, a student must retake the course concerned to obtain credit.

  3. "X" grades 

    The "X" indicates that credit for the session's work in a course is withheld pending completion of course requirements. Unlike an "I," the "X" is initiated by the faculty member or in certain circumstances the Registrar. The student will be given an opportunity to complete the final examination or project provided there is a valid reason for the delay. Lack of academic effort does not constitute a valid reason. The "X" grade must be resolved in the same manner as an "I."

  4. Grade changes 

    All grades are permanent grades (except "I" or "X"). Course Instructors should not make promises or in any way communicate to students the possibility that these grades may be subsequently raised on the basis of additional work received from the student. 

     A student's final grade, once issued, may not subsequently be changed by the instructor unless there has been an error in calculation or reporting of the grade. In such cases, the instructor must sign a Change of Grade Form indicating that an error was made. Any changes made by the faculty member must be made within 90 days of the end of the semester for which the grade was assigned, or in the case of resolution of an "I" ("Incomplete") grade, within 90 days of the filing of the grade.

Grade changes of any kind may not be submitted using on-line grading.  All grade changes must be submitted in writing with the signature of the course instructor. Forms are available from the Academic Records/Registrar's Office.

Please access the following documents when completing the graduation process as an advisor or department chairperson.

Graduation Process for department chairpersons [PDF]

Graduation Process for advisors [PDF]

Rooms are assigned by the Office of the University Registrar (OUR). Please reference the Academic and Classroom Scheduling policy for more information. 

Student Responsibility

Students themselves are responsible for seeing that their registration forms, changes of schedule forms, withdrawal forms, etc., are presented at the Office of Academic Records by published dates. Faculty members should not assume that responsibility. The date a form is received at the Registrar's Office/Academic Records is the official date of receipt.
















































Stopped attending class and did not officially withdraw; failure to resolve "I" or "X" grade.








May be assigned only if the student has previously registered to audit the course.








Delay in reporting final grade.








Student must have presented a signed application to the faculty member. This status may be assigned only in case of serious illness or other emergency situation.







In Progress

GRADUATE LEVEL ONLY  The grade "IP" should be assigned when a student is working on a professional contribution numbered 555. The grade "IP" may not be assigned to courses numbered 555 followed by a letter suffix. Faculty mentoring professional contributions should be aware that students are granted one calendar year to complete their work. The session in progress is designated by the second digit of the section number on the grade sheet. At the conclusion of one calendar year, the student must have completed the professional contribution, either satisfactorily or unsatisfactorily, or must have been granted, in writing, a one session extension by the appropriate Dean.



Withdrew officially








Withdrew officially

With passing grade.











Withdrew officially

With failing grade.




For Professional Contributions, seminars, practicums, and workshops.








For Professional Contributions, seminars, practicums, and workshops.