- Academic Affairs Office | Liberal Arts Center | 200
- 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Wearing your Cap, Gown, and Hood:
All students must come dressed in their full academic attire (Cap, Gown, and Hood) to their ceremony. There will be no location for students to robe.
In addition to the directional sheet provided to you in your cap and gown package, please find the University’s instructions for wearing academic attire should you need them.
- Please remove your cap and gown from the shipping packaging as soon as you receive it and immediately hang the gown hood. This will assist in removing wrinkles caused by packaging. It may be necessary to iron your gown if the wrinkles persist. The gown should be ironed on the lowest setting to avoid damaging the gown.
- The graduation gown is to be worn similar to a long coat and is worn over professional attire appropriate for the day’s activities. The gown should fall midway between the knee and ankle. (Men generally wear dark trousers and dress shirts under their graduation gowns. Women generally wear lightweight dresses or blouses and skirts that do not hang below their graduation gowns.)
- The gown should be zipped in the front for proper closure and fitting.
- The hood should be placed over one’s head with the velvet colored section of the hood closest to one's chin. The small “V” shape of the hood will be in the front while the larger section hangs down your back.
- Once the hood is around your neck you will need assistance in “turning out” the colors of the hood along your back. Simply take hold of the bottom velvet colored section of the hood and flip it under so the “satin green” inside lining of the hood is now facing outward.
- The graduation cap is worn flat on the head, parallel to the floor. The front point of the cap should be centered on the forehead.
a. Undergraduate Students - tassels are worn on the right front side of the cap and shifted to the left during the ceremony following the awarding of diplomas.
b. Graduate and Doctoral Students - tassels are worn on the left side before, during, and following the ceremony. They remain on the left side and are not shifted during the ceremony.
- Gowns can be accessorized with specific Marywood issued academic regalia like honor pins and cords in keeping with the traditions of the University.
- Flowers and jewelry should not be worn on the academic gown.
- No other customization, sashes, or stoles are to be worn with the academic attire.