Motherhouse and Seminary Morgan Memorial Garden201 Morgan Road
Map & Directions
The Motherhouse and Seminary Morgan Memorial Garden connects Marywood's cherished past to its emerging future, stretching from the Memorial Arch on Adams Avenue to the Learning Commons, creating the physical and intellectual heart of campus and celebrating the bold hearts that founded the IHM Congregation in 1845 and Marywood in 1915.
Visually, the garden is designed in the footprint of the former Motherhouse and Seminary. The focal point is a fountain in honor of the IHM Congregation and its founders, at the exact site where the Motherhouse Chapel was once located, and benches are situated nearby. In the Memorial Plaza, commemorative pavers are prominently featured in the walkway leading to the Learning Commons. Larger, individual pavers, each bearing a special message or tribute from the benefactor, create a meaningful space in the entryway to each of the gardens, and a variety of sculptures are situated throughout this contemplative space. A canopy of trees line the Motherhouse Memorial, offering a striking, natural tribute to “Mary’s Wood.”