Academic Programs of Study
Address Important Societal Issues with a Sociology DegreeOur program provides a solid foundation in basic sociological theory, applied statistics, contemporary social problems, and comparative family systems.
Sociology Major Description
The student who majors in sociology will:
- Acquire knowledge of major interpretations of the social sciences
- Engage in the specific modes of inquiry of the social sciences and pursue purposeful, honest and effective research
- Participate effectively in discussion, exercising respect and critical thinking in analyzing opinions and tentativeness in formulating opinions and conclusions
- Respond actively and effectively to the challenges of contemporary society, relating the study of social sciences to current affairs
- Empathize with human emotions and values and understand the cultural characteristics and accomplishments of diverse ethnic and religious groups, recognizing and appraising the values implicit in their specific orientation.
More About This Degree
Associate Professor of Sociology/Criminal Justice
Competency in the range of social science fields provides the individual with a background for graduate study and/or a variety of careers in contemporary society. Professional options in General and Sociology prepare the student for public service and teaching careers.
Undergraduate Admissions Requirements
- Official SAT and/or ACT scores
- Completed application
- Official transcripts
- Letter of recommendation