Academic Programs of Study
Professional Writing (MA)
Master of Art (MA)
- Earn your M.A. in two years or less.
- Evening classes offered.
Marywood's M.A. in Professional Writing is unique to Northeastern Pennsylvania where you will learn how to write at an advanced level in a variety of professional settings, no matter your career interest.
More About This Degree
Victorian Literature and Children's Literature
Composition, 20th Century American Literature, Feminist Theory, and English Education
18th Century Fiction and Catholic Writers
19th and 20th Century American Literature
|Career||Annual Average Openings|
* Data supplemented from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and recent graduate success.
Specific Program Requirements
- All college transcripts
- Statement of Purpose (2 pages)
- Response to Program Writing Prompt
- Academic or Professional Writing Sample (6-10 pages, can be excerpted from a longer work)
- 2 letters of recommendation (waived for current students and recent alumni (i.e., students within two years of graduation)
- For Masters applicants, 3.5 GPA in English or related field, and/or equivalent professional experience
Choose one of the two following prompts and write approximately 500-600 words in response:
- Write an op-ed piece for a local newspaper (local to you) persuading its readers of the importance of learning a second language. Please identify the name of the paper to which you have chosen to write in the header. Give your essay a title that could be used as a headline.
- Write a professional letter that could be sent to a real local business or a real local nonprofit agency arguing that their services to customers should be offered in both English and Spanish. Please identify the name of the business or agency.
Graduate Admissions Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- “B” average during undergraduate study or demonstrated potential for graduate work
- Completed application
- Official, sealed transcripts
- Two or three letters of recommendation
Find Your Counselor
Jason ThielGraduate Admissions Counselor
Phone: 570-348-6211 ext 2591
About me: I joined the Marywood Admissions team in the summer of 2013. I was born and raised in Scranton, PA and earned my BA in Business Administration with a concentration in Business Management from Marywood University. I have over 8 years of admissions experience and love helping students and families find the right educational fit.
My interests: I enjoy spending time with my children, whether it's basketball and softball games for my daughter, or baseball and basketball with my son. I also enjoy, coaching youth sports, traveling, Phillies baseball, Syracuse basketball, and Dolphins football. You may also find me watching reruns of Animal Planets TV show, Finding Bigfoot!
My favorite thing about Marywood: The feel!! I love walking around campus and talking to students and meeting with staff & faculty. It’s a beautiful campus spread out over 115 acres but still has that small hometown feel to it.
My favorite place at Marywood: There isn’t a place I don’t like. If I had to pick it would have to be the Rotunda. It is beautiful and I went from studying in it as a student to now walking through it on my way to my office in the admissions department.
You’d never guess: I have trained for and completed 5 Marine Corp Marathons and my goal is 20. Why I torture myself I do not know.
Best advice: Do your homework. Find a school you love and a major that you are excited about. Do truly what you love because you will work for 40-50 years of your life and LIVE YOUR PASSION.