Bachelor of Music - BM
- Eligibility for Pennsylvania teacher certification in music K-12
- Practical experience in the K-12 setting: 100 hours before student teaching
- High demand field
Graduates of this program are eligible for certification to teach and supervise vocal and instrumental music (K-12). In addition to the core music requirements, students take required music education courses, as well as the 25-credit professional education component. Starting in freshman year, students gain practical experience in the K-12 setting. By the end of junior year, students have accumulated a total of 100 hours of assigned field experience in practical classroom observations. The current job market for music educators reflects a high demand including work with young children as an early childhood music specialist, elementary (K-6) or secondary (7-12) music educator, or as a music supervisor.
More About This Degree
- Learn more about this program or visit the Music, Theatre, and Dance website.
- College: Insalaco College of Creative and Performing Arts
- Courses: Available courses in this department
- Student/Faculty Ratio: 13:1
- This program is accredited by the
National Association of Schools of Music
Programs in Music are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.
Anita L. Gadberry, Ph.D., MT-BC
Assistant professor of music therapy
F. David Romines, D.M.A.
MTD Department Co-Chair, Assistant professor of music education
Joan McCusker, IHM, Ph.D.
Associate professor of music education
University facilities that support the music programs include holdings in books, scores, LP recordings, CDs, and video recordings in the University library, as well as the following facilities in the Sette LaVerghetta Center for the Performing Arts:
- 1,100 seat theatre
- Performing arts facility seating 125
- Digital piano lab
- 2 harpsichords, 2 harps
- Practice facilities - including a
- Complement of band and orchestra instruments
- Multiple copies of orchestral scores
- Choral library; vocal solo library
- Small library of reference books
- Curriculum lab and learning center
- 2 computer labs
- Biofeedback lab
- MIDI Creator equipment and Casio
- Keyboard (Music Therapy Lab)
- Multiple organs
Students are prepared to enter careers in the following areas: K-12 Band Director, Choral Director, Orchestra Director, Elementary or Secondary Music Teacher. Certification requires a successful student teaching experience and the passing of the PRAXIS battery of tests. Students may also pursue advanced study at the Masters level.
Undergraduate Admissions Requirements
- Official SAT and/or ACT scores
- Completed application
- Official transcripts
- Letter of recommendation
Find Your Counselor
Graduates are eligible for Pennsylvania teacher certification in music education (K-12), and for further graduate study. A Music Education candidate must complete 190 hours of assigned fieldwork in observation prior to student teaching. Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) requires a minimum QPA of 3.00 for formal acceptance into the teacher education program. Application is typically done via sophomore screening process in the second year of study. Teacher certification requires a successful student teaching experience and the passing of Pennsylvania state teacher education tests. The music education program requires at least eight regular semesters and additional summer sessions.