Programs of Study
Students can choose one of two options in this program:
- Students spend three years at Marywood fulfilling the University's requirements and those of the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS), with the fourth year spent in an accredited, affiliated hospital program.
- Students who complete a B.S. in biology and who have the necessary prerequisites, may also apply to affiliated schools of medical technology approved by the Board of Registry and/or NAACLS.
More About This Degree
Mary Ann Smith, BS, BA, MA
Courses: Introductory Chemistry and General Chemistry
Lisa Antoniacci, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biology and Biotechnology, Directory of Biotechnology Program, and Health Professions Adviosry Committee (HPAC) Chairperson
Courses: Biotechnology, Immunology, Microbiology, Molecular Genetics, Cell Biology
Christopher Brey, Ph.D.
Courses: ● BIOL 302/502 Bioinformatics ● BIOL 383/583 Emerging Medicine & Technologies ● BIOL 446/546 Genetics ● BIOL 234 Intro. to Cell Molecular Biology & Nutrigenomics ● BIOL 520 Graduate Literature Review ● BIOL 150/151 General Biology Lab (HHMI/Univ. of Pitt. SEAPHAGE)
Deanne Garver, Ph.D.
Chairperson & Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Courses: Organic Chemistry, and Chemistry
The $6.4 million Center for Natural and Health Sciences is equipped with four large laboratories, a newly renovated Biotechnology research lab, an environmental wet laboratory, a greenhouse, three computer laboratories, and a multi-media auditorium. Marywood's campus is a certified national arboretum.
The career opportunities for a medical technologist/clinical laboratory scientist are varied. They perform important tests related to health and disease, utilizing cutting-edge laboratory methodologies. Although a majority of medical technologist/clinical laboratory scientists work in hospital laboratories, there are a number of other career options. These include:
- Physician Office Laboratories
- Research Facilities
- Veterinary Clinics
- Forensic Laboratories
- Public Health Centers
- Industrial Laboratories
- Higher Education
- Health Law
- Medical/Dental/Veterinary Science
- Medical Writing
- Health Care Administration
Undergraduate Admissions Requirements
- Official SAT and/or ACT scores
- Completed application
- Official transcripts
- Letter of recommendation