Students in this program will:
- Develop attitudes of mind and analytical skills required for the efficient use and understanding of mathematics;
- Be able to abstract from the particular to the general;
- Be able to build mathematical models of real world situations;
- Have competency in the use of computers as a tool in mathematical problem-solving;
- Be able to work independently on problems in mathematics;
- Have an understanding of the origin and historical development of basic mathematical concepts.
More About This Degree
Dhanapati Adhikari, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Mathematics
Nonlinear Partial Differential Equations
Fall 2017 (August 28, 2017 to December 11, 2017) - Monday, Wednesday, and Friday: 8:20 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. or by appointment. Please email Dr. Adhikari to make an appointment.
Craig M. Johnson, Ph.D.
Professor of Mathematics
Fall 2017 (August 28, 2017 to December 11, 2017) - Monday, Wednesday, and Friday: 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. or by appointment. Please email Dr. Johnson to make an appointment.
Wen Cheng, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Computer Science & Information Security
Machine Learning; Data Mining; Statistic Modeling; Bioinformatics and Computational Biology; Pattern Recognition; Imaging Processing and Analysis; Big Data
Fall 2017 (August 28, 2017 to December 11, 2017) - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday: 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. or by appointment. Please email Dr. Cheng to make an appointment.
The analytical skills and the habit of independent rational thinking developed in our department at Marywood can serve you well in any number of possible careers - from business to research to teaching. Currently, a shortage of mathematicians exists both in industry and in the teaching profession at every level. Therefore, the job market is extremely good. Our graduates either continue their studies in graduate school or find an interesting and challenging job in their major within weeks of their graduation.
Undergraduate Admissions Requirements
- Official SAT and/or ACT scores
- Completed application
- Official transcripts
- Letter of recommendation