Housing & Residence Life: Frequently Asked Questions

What should residents bring to campus?

See our updated checklist for items to bring, as well as things to leave at home!

What do I do if I need to leave University housing mid-semester?

First, you would need to contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life in order to apply to be released from your housing agreement. You will also need to fill out and submit a Release From Housing Agreement Application to the Housing and Residence Life office. If you are approved, you will need to remove all belongings from your room and set up an appointment with your RA to complete room check-out. You will also need to remember to turn in your student ID, and mailbox and room keys to the Housing and Residence Life Office located in LAC 227. Failure to complete these steps may result in an Improper Checkout Fee.

What do I do if I have a conflict with my roommate?

Occasionally, roommates face conflicts and when these conflicts are unable to be resolved solely between students, the Housing and Residence Life staff is available for mediation and support. If a conflict cannot be resolved between students, the students are encouraged to speak to their Resident Assistant. The Resident Assistant may then facilitate a mediation session with all involved parties. The goal of mediation is for the involved parties to discuss their concerns and determine the best course of action. In many cases, students participating in this neutral communication setting are able to make compromises and resolve concerns. If not, then the Residence Director may become involved to determine whether room changes are appropriate.

In cases where it is determined that the paired roommates cannot continue to share the same room, Housing and Residence Life staff does not typically designate who will move. Sometimes, this means that all people involved in the situation will relocate.

What are the dimensions of the rooms in Loughran Hall?
*Please note that the dimensions listed below are the average sizes given, however, some rooms may be slightly smaller or larger than listed.
Width: (148 inches) 12.33 feet
Length: 16 feet
Width: (128 inches) 10.67 feet
Length: 20 feet
Width: 30 feet
Length: 16 feet
Bathroom Sizes:
Width: 78 inches (6.5 ft)
Length: 80 inches (6.7 ft)
Storage Area's:
  • Above the wardrobes, you can fit an item no larger than 2 feet high.
  • Below the bed, (standard height) you can fit items no larger than 20 inches high. If the bed is raised (not bunked) you can fit items, at most, 30 inches high underneath.
What about cooking and microwaves?

Fire safety requirements prohibit cooking in the residence halls except in the kitchenettes designed for such use. Free standing microwaves are not permitted in residence hall rooms. Students may opt to arrange to rent or purchase a MicroFridge through https://www.mymicrofridge.com/ MicroFridges are designed to limit energy consumption because the refrigerator turns off when the microwave is in operation, and vice versa.

Student owned refrigerators or microfridge units are permitted in residence hall rooms as long as specifications are less than or equal to the MicroFridge specifications listed HERE.  Refrigerators or microfridge units that exceed these specifications are prohibited.

What is provided in a typical student room?

Each resident is provided with a dresser/chest, desk and chair, bed and mattress (long twin), closet/wardrobe, basic cable television service, and one data line per resident.

How do I mail my student a package or mail?

Every resident student has a mailbox on campus, and they receive that mailbox number at the beginning of each new school year at the first floor meeting. The address for the student is:

Student Name
MU Box # # # #
Marywood University
2300 Adams Avenue
Scranton, PA 18509

Regular mail will go to the student's mailbox in the bottom floor of Nazareth Hall across from the main dining room.  Packages will get picked up at the campus Post Office.

What about laundry?

During fall and spring semesters, laundry is part of your room and board--so students do not need to pay for laundry.  However, laundry will be coin-operated for students participating in summer programs through Conferencing and Events as well as for students staying on campus for summer sessions.

Are cable, internet, and telephone service provided in student rooms?

Each room is equipped with basic cable and campus internet access for every student. Telephones are available in all of the building's lounges, kitchens, and hallways with local phone service. Calling cards can be bought at the University Bookstore for those wishing to make long distance calls.

Who is required to live on campus?

All unmarried, full-time students are required to reside in University housing during their first two years of enrollment unless they are at least 21 years of age, and/or are living with their parent/guardians in their primary family homes that are within a 50 mile radius of the University's campus.