Transfer Credit

Marywood University adheres to the principles outlined in the "Joint Statement on the Transfer and Award of Credit" recommended by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, American Council on Education and Council for Higher Education Accreditation.

Academic credits, graduate or undergraduate, may be accepted in direct transfer from colleges and universities depending upon their quality, comparability, and applicability to the student's program of study. Professional staff from the Office of the Registrar will work in tandem with faculty within the specific discipline to assess the appropriateness of course content vis-a-vis the Marywood University curriculum.

Marywood University recognizes that people learn in a variety of settings and that some students approach the university experience with college-level learning acquired outside the traditional classroom.

Academic credit or waiver for other college-level learning can be awarded through a variety of programs, such as standardized testing through CLEP, DSST and AP. Some departments allow challenge exams and placeout exams. Students may be able to present a portfolio to show that they have acquired college-level learning for particular courses.

Marywood subscribes to the standards for quality assurance set forth by the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning.

Additional information is available from the Coordinator of Prior Learning Assessment, Lori Orr. You may contact her at

Undergraduate Students

In order for credits to be transferred to Marywood from other colleges and universities, the courses must be college-level, and a minimum grade of C is required. (A grade of C- is not transferable.) Transferable courses must be equivalent to courses offered at Marywood and appropriate to meet degree requirements in a student's major. Some course credits may transfer only as general electives. Grades do not transfer, only credits. A student's QPA (quality point average) at Marywood University depends on courses taken at Marywood or through the Consortium with the University of Scranton.

Credits older than 20 years may be approved for transfer if it is determined that the course content is still relevant. College-level credits earned within 20 years of a student's acceptance to Marywood are usually transferable. Some courses (e.g., science) will not transfer if taken more than seven years previous to entry into Marywood. Credits required for the student's major will be transferred if the course content is judged suitable by the chair of the department involved.

Beginning with those undergraduate students entering for fall 2018, the last 30 credits of the baccalaureate degree must be completed at Marywood.

Graduate Students

At least two-thirds of the degree requirements must be met at Marywood. Departments or individual programs may require more hours taken at Marywood and may limit transfer credits to fewer than this limit. Specific credits and numbers of credits accepted for transfer must be approved in writing by the department chairperson in the degree program or graduate certification program to which a student has been fully admitted.

All credits accepted for transfer must have been taken at the graduate level. Bi-level courses are generally unacceptable and must be specifically justified in the student's departmental records. All credits transferred must be equivalent to a "B" grade or better. If a course has been taken on a pass-fail basis there must be a written statement attached to the requested transfer credit that states it is the institutional policy to grant credit only for grades of "B" or better in graduate coursework. Transfer credits must parallel or integrate well, both in terms of content and quality, with current standards at the University. Ordinarily, acceptable transfer credits must have been earned within the five previous calendar years from the date of provisional or regular admission.