Academic Programs of Study
Master of Arts in Teaching (PK-4 Certification)
Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
- Innovative, personalized programs
- Balance theory & research with practical application
- Earn initial certification for pre-school through grade 4
PK-4 CertificationThe MAT with certification (PK-4) is designed for the teaching professional whose goals include initial certification for pre-school through grade 4, as well as an MAT degree.
Prior to admission to the M.A.T./Pk-4 certification program, all applicants must meet with the Chair of the School of Education or designated faculty member and the Director of Professional Field Experience.
More About This Degree
Tammy B.H. Brown, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Graduate Reading Program and ESL Program
The McGowan Center for Graduate and Professional Studies includes a broad range of teaching, clinical and research equipment in support of its graduate training mission. The facility includes multimedia classrooms and a curriculum lab with excellent resources for students, including an Ellison machine, a laminator, and computer facilities.
Specific Program Requirements
Prior to admission to the M.A.T. program with certification Elementary Education, all applicants must meet with the Administrator of Education Department and the Field Experience Officer. The Pre-professional skills tests (PPST) - Reading, Writing, Mathematics- must be taken and passed within the first 9 credits of the course work.
Graduate Admissions Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- “B” average during undergraduate study or demonstrated potential for graduate work
- Completed application
- Official, sealed transcripts
- Two or three letters of recommendation