Educate Young Minds by Earning an MAT Degree and PK-4 Teaching Certification
Do you have a Bachelor's degree? Do you love working with children?
The MAT program is designed for students who already hold a bachelor's degree in another field and wish to enter the teaching professional with an initial certification in Early Childhood & Elementary Education and an MA in Teaching degree. This program consists of a minimum of 49 hours of graduate work. Students with no education courses may need to take up to 60 semester hours. The courses are divided into four categories:
- Twenty-four semester hours in professional education courses which are intended to give the student an understanding of foundations of education, special needs youngsters, human growth and development, and the psychology of the teaching/learning process.
- Twenty-five hours in specialty area courses which provide an understanding of the curriculum taught at the elementary school level.
- Eight hours in practicum and student teaching, and
- Six hours in core Master's courses, providing the student the opportunity to integrate theory and practice in both research and learning theory.
These courses are certification requirements for those students seeking both the degree and Pennsylvania Instructional I certification. Eligibility for certification is determined by fulfillment of state requirements.
- Innovative, personalized programs
- Balance theory and research with practical application
- Earn initial certification for pre-school through grade 4
Outcomes & Opportunities
Fulbright Scholars opportunities for students and research abroad »
Top Career Paths
- Education Consultant
- Elementary School Teacher
- Preschool Teacher
- Middle School Teacher
Dig Deeper Into the Program Details
Graduate Admissions Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- “B” average during undergraduate study or demonstrated potential for graduate work
- Completed application
- Submit an essay discussing your career objectives and why you want to pursue a career in education.
- Official, sealed transcripts
- Two or three letters of recommendation
Map & Directions
The McGowan Center for Graduate and Professional Studies, located on the corner of University and North Washington Avenues, contains classrooms and related clinical/professional space for Communication Sciences and Disorders, Psychology and Counseling, Education, and Business students. Market Marywood is also located here.
Learn More | Take a Virtual Tour