- McGowan Center for Graduate and Professional Studies | 1033
- 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Psychology and Counseling
Marywood's Department of Psychology and Counseling provides a wide range of programs designed to serve the varied interests and diverse professional orientations of our students. For over 50 years, we have been involved in the training of psychologists, counselors, and other mental health professionals and have helped students to find their purpose and passion for careers in business, law, education, research, and community work. The Psychology and Counseling department offers degree programs on the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels, in addition to post-master's programs. Our rigorous curriculum is based on experimental learning, a strong emphasis on clinical skills, and a focus on leadership, diversity, advocacy, and collaboration.
Featured Pacer ProfileKatie Richardson Engles Applies Psychology Degree to Law.
Middles States Commission on Higher Education
Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program (Psy.D.) | American Psychological Association (APA) Accredited. For further information about the accreditation of this program, contact the APA office of Program Consultation and Accreditation, American Psychological Association.
M.S. Counselor Education (PK-12 School Counseling) | The Marywood University graduate program in Counselor Education has been accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) and approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
M.A. Mental Health Counseling | The Marywood University graduate program in Mental Health Counseling has been accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
Marywood Psychology & Counseling faculty are members and fellows of numerous regional, national, and international professional organizations; this is a partial listing:
- American Psychological Association
- American Board of Clinical Psychology
- American Board of Professional Psychology
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- APA Division of School Psychology
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
- North Atlantic Region Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (NARACES)
- National Association of School Psychologists
- National Alliance for the Mentally Ill
- Northeast Pennsylvania Counseling Association
- Pennsylvania Association of Counselor Educators and Supervisors
- Pennsylvania Counseling Association
- Pennsylvania Psychology Association
About The Psychology and Counseling Department
Specifically, the Pschology/Counseling Department strives to:
- Educate students in understanding the complexity and diversity of human behavior
- Develop the ability to think critically, understand research, research methodology, techniques of data collection and analysis, and respect for scientifically derived knowledge
- Educate students to develop and implement assessment and intervention strategies associated with individual and group behavior
- Facilitate students' understanding of varied roles, obligations, and ethics of human service providers and researchers
- Develop competencies to critically evaluate and contribute to research in the fields of psychology and counseling.
Psychology and Counseling Faculty
Psychology Research Laboratories
Cognitive and Perceptual Sciences Laboratory
Dr. Edward J. Crawley
Basic research on the processes underlying human memory and attention
Counseling Training Lab
Dr. Bradley Janey
Counseling Skills Training Space
Dr. C. Estelle Campenni
Research exploring the effects of mandala coloring on mindfulness, mood, and state anxiety; Research focused on understanding if intolerance for uncertainty mediates the relationship between mindfulness and psychological distress; Qualitative investigations of naturally occurring experiences of mindfulness
Social Psychology Lab
Dr. Lindsay C. Morton
Basic research using correlational and experimental methods to explore social psychological phenomena
This space is for student research and is part of the Curriculum Laboratory, which contains books and journals related to psychology.