Marywood celebrated its Centennial in 2015 with a website showcasing before and after images of campus life. This celebratory website features many great moments and captures the spirit of Marywood's first 100 years. In our second century, we continue the bold work of our founders, to educate and inspire the leaders who will shape a meaningful, powerful tomorrow and serve humanity in our rapidly changing world community. Meanwhile, you can still explore the many fun and historical items below, which were curated by students, faculty, staff, and alumni to commemorate our 100-year milestone.
Centennial Then & Now Remembrance from 2015
Athletic Field, 1921
97,000 square foot Multipurpose Synthetic Turf Field
Rosary Field House, built in 1950, contained the largest collegiate pool in the East.
A new Aquatics Center, inclusive of eight lanes, one and three meter diving boards, spectator seating and team rooms, opened in May 2011.
News Sports Coming in 2015
Team Sports in Photos
Marywood Hair Evolves Over the Decades
Marywood students have style. We all know this. How much style is questionable. We've gathered a few photos, just for fun, to see which decade you think has the most style when it comes to hair alone. What do you think?
Marywood University’s growth as an institution is mirrored in its building projects. Founded in 1915, for the first decade it was housed in the Seminary wing of the IHM Motherhouse. The first building project was what is now known as the Liberal Arts Center. Ground was broken in 1922, the building dedicated in 1924, and its historic Rotunda decorated in 1937. The building housed academic facilities and, at various times, a library, an art gallery, a cafeteria, a reading clinic, a language laboratory, a photography darkroom, a coffee shop, a bookstore, a theater, an assembly hall, a student lounge, offices, laboratories and a gymnasium.
Construction of the Liberal Arts Building, circa 1923
In 1926, a pre-existing building, the Carriage House, was converted into a two-story Science Center and ground was broken for a O'Reilly Hall (now Regina Hall), a student residence. In 1941, McCarty Hall was built as a management house as required for ongoing accreditation of the Home Economics Department.
In 1950, ground was broken for four buildings: Alumnae Hall (now Immaculata Hall) – a student residence, Good Counsel Science Hall (now the Center for Natural and Health Sciences), Rosary Field House – for Physical Education (later expanded and refurbished for the Visual Arts and Architecture programs), and Assumption Hall (now the Sette LaVerghetta Center for Performing Arts).
In 1963-1964, Marywood built Madonna Hall (a student residence), Emmanuel Hall (a faculty residence) and Nazareth Hall (a student union). In 1965, plans were announced for a 10-year plan that included the building of a new Library, the Psych-Educational Clinic building (now McGowan Center for Graduate and Professional Studies), the addition of laboratories to the existing Science building and a power and maintenance plant. At this time Marywood acquired Bethany Hall to use as a faculty residence (now the Veterans Resource Center).
In 1975, the Memorial Commons was dedicated to commemorate the IHM Motherhouse that was destroyed by fire in 1971 and where Marywood University first began. In 1978 the Woodland Apartments were dedicated to provide a housing alternative to undergraduate students.
In 1981 the Psych-Educational Clinic building was expanded and renamed the Human Services Center. In 1982 the Post Office was expanded to include a print shop and a mailing center. In 1984 Rosary Field House is renovated and renamed the Health and Physical Education Center and the building expanded to house the Visual Arts Center (now Shields Center for Visual Arts), including academic space and the Suraci and Contemporary Galleries.
In 2001, the Insalaco Center for Studio Arts was dedicated. It contains 80,000 square feet of gallery space, naturally-lit drawing and painting studios, dark rooms, printmaking, woodworking, jewelry-making and ceramics studios, computer labs, and classrooms. The Woodland Apartments were expanded and renovated into a single complex of twenty-two townhouse-style units and renamed Woodland Townhouse Apartments.
In 2002, the Keith O’Neill Center for Healthy Families is dedicated. It provides academic facilities for the Nursing, Nursing Administration, Athletic Training, Nutrition and Dietetics, and Physician Assistant programs. Also included is the Human Performance Lab (now housed in the Center for Athletics and Wellness and renamed the Human Physiology Lab), a state-of-the-art facility designed to serve the needs of student, professional, amateur and recreational athletes and the community.
In 2006, Marywood acquired the Marian Convent property from the Sisters of IHM and renovated it to provide a residence hall and facility for Student Health Services (Loughran Hall). The building also houses the Swartz Center which includes the University Chapel, Campus Ministry and Collegiate Volunteers offices and a Conference Center. The Center for Athletic and Wellness was dedicated. It houses a 2,500 seat arena, jogging track, fitness center, climbing wall and dance studio. In 2011, the Aquatic Center was added.
In 2009, Marywood welcomed the first class into the School of Architecture. The School is housed in a spacious adaptation of Marywood former Rosary Field House. The building a variety of green components, including a vegetative roof and an innovative heating and cooling system that utilizes geothermal energy from abandoned mine shafts beneath campus.
Now, in the spring of 2015 the new Learning Commons is nearing completion, opening in September. With the Learning Commons, the library takes on a new form—a 21st Century library that focuses on actively empowering the learner. It is a scholars’ gathering place, where students from all disciplines converge, collaborate, and expand their horizons ever further.
Blessing the radio studio
Radio broadcast, 1944
Mary Niland, Anne Boland, Florence Pasinko, with boys from the University.
Marywood College on the air, THE ROSARY, 1951
Student Announcer Maureen Heffernon (right)
Television program on European Union, May 1953
Anne Marie Greco, Helen Sledjeski, Leone Lencyzska, Chairman, Rosa Mayer, Corinne Vergari
Kurt Brown, Lynett Medalist, 1982
Kendall Harris (left) trains Tim Parker (right) on how to cut in on a music break on 91.7, VMFM, Marywood's award-winning college radio station.
Marywood's student-run live weekly news broadcast TVM News, 2014.
Our current Communication Arts students blog daily at frameyourfuture.wordpress.com
The Center for Communication Arts, part of the new Learning Commons, is set to open in Fall 2015!
Brand new Communication Arts facilities will include a television studio, radio station, newsroom, and computer lab classroom space.
A Dedication to the Sciences
Chemistry Lab, 1937
Marywood's second building project, after the construction of the Liberal Arts Building was the 1926 renovation of one of the original buildings on the property, the Carriage House, into a two-story Science Building. Today that building houses the main offices of University Advancement.
In 1950, construction began on Good Counsel Science Hall, a three-story building to contain a 150-seat lecture hall/science auditorium/movie theater (Comerford Theatre). Later a wing was added for science and computer laboratories.
In addition to the Science Department, the building houses the Mathematics and Computer Science Department, the Nursing Department and the Public Administration Program.
The Center for Natural and Health Sciences (CNHS) Science Lab, 2012
The cornerstone for Mt. St. Mary's, the original Motherhouse of the Sisters of IHM, was laid on November 3, 1900. The four-story structure, which included a wing for Marywood Seminary, also featured a beautiful chapel, space for the novitiate classrooms, dining rooms, dormitories, and housing for the faculty of both Marywood Seminary and College. The building opened on September 8, 1902.
Marywood College was established there in 1915, attained University status in 1997, and continues to be a leading educational asset in the region. Marywood Seminary operated until 1971, when the Motherhouse, which had been a monument of the campus from its beginning, was entirely demolished by a tragic fire (February 22, 1971). The site was later commemorated by the Marywood Memorial Commons, a round cement amphitheater that marked the original location of the Motherhouse, in 1975.
Students have class outside in Memorial Commons, 1981
The Motherhouse & Seminary Memorial
With the new Learning Commons becoming the intellectual and social heart of campus, it is only fitting that the area directly in front of this gateway to bold ideas should celebrate the bold hearts that founded the IHM Congregation in 1845 and Marywood in 1915. The space once occupied by the original Motherhouse has been designated as a meaningful memorial that will commemorate the timeless, remarkable spirit and mission of the IHM Sisters and Marywood for years to come.
The Motherhouse & Seminary Memorial Plan
From the opening of Marywood College in 1915, the IHM Motherhouse Chapel also served as the chapel for the college until the Motherhouse was destroyed by fire in 1971.
The chapel statue of the Blessed Mother is found intact after the fire, and, long after it is assumed to be destroyed, firefighters also discover the statue's irreplaceable jeweled crown.
After the fire that destroyed the Motherhouse, the space in Regina (O'Reilly) Hall that had been the formal dining room is transformed overnight into a temporary chapel. For the next 36 years this served as Marywood's temporary Chapel.
Opening Liturgy, 2010
The glass altar consists of floor-to-ceiling doors that open out to a veranda, making outdoor liturgies possible.
It's all about traditions. Every year students enjoy the special activities in their final days during Senior Week!
A History of Service
Book Drive 1958
IHM Sisters leave for Peru, 1965
A recent Habitat for Humanity service trip
Guatemala service trip, Spring Break 2015
Centennial Service Challenge
At Marywood's 100th Opening Liturgy, President Sr. Anne Munley issued a challenge to students, faculty, staff, and alumni: contribute 100,000 hours of community service in honor of Marywood's upcoming centennial.
About half of our undergraduate students live on-campus. Marywood offers a variety of housing options, from large residence halls to smaller shared apartments and houses. In 1926, ground was broken for the first residence hall, called O'Reilly Hall (now Regina Hall).
A student studying in her room in Immaculata Hall, 1952
Immaculata Hall, 1952
Resident room, 1982
Current resident room, Madonna Hall, 2012
Girls will still be girls...
Whether the year is 1952 or 2012, not much changes when it comes to getting ready for class :)
Immaculata Hall, 1952
Madonna Hall, 2012
Students in Madonna Hall kitchen, 2012
The current kitchen in Madonna hall sports modern amenities such as stainless steel appliances, granite counters, and even a dishwasher.
It's been a long winter in Scranton, PA. It may even be snowing as you read this. We hope you can enjoy some photos of activities on campus throughout the years.
Sr. Delphina, Sr. Janice, and Sr. Norma on rollerskates
Student Activities Crew (SAC) event on campus in January: 50's Roller Rink.
A rink was set up in Latour Room, and there were soda floats and even a photo booth.
The Senior Faculty Talent Show, 1978
Marywood's acapella group, Nomadic Chromatics, sing at Open Mic Night, Feb 16, 2015.
(Photo Credit/Autumn Granza, thewoodword.org)
Clubs & Activities