Safe Zone Training
Marywood University aims to be a safe, empowering, and affirming place for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, & queer (LGBTQ+) students, faculty, & staff.
Safe Zone Training is a dynamic, interactive session for faculty & staff that includes activities & discussion around the following topics: inclusive and respectful language, the process of coming out, understanding sexual and gender identity, taking action on our campus, where to go for help and much more. This session will give participants the skills they need to provide support and to create environments that are safe, welcoming, and inclusive for LGBTQ+ students and colleagues.
Safe Zone Training sessions will be offered periodically throughout the academic year. Additionally, all Orientation Leaders, Resident Assistants, and Counseling/Student Development Center Staff are Safe Zone trained each year.
Advocate Training is the student version of Safe Zone and can be requested for student organizations, athletic teams, classes, Greek organizations, or additional student groups.
Contact Michael Kalage or Allison Ranieri-Horrocks to schedule a Safe Zone or Advocate Training session for your department, organization, class, and/or team, or to ask any questions you might have.
Sexuality and Gender Alliance (SAGA)
Students wishing to get involved as a member of the LGBTQ+ community or as an ally are encouraged to join the Sexuality and Gender Alliance (SAGA). This student group meets biweekly (meeting times TBD for Fall 2019) to socialize, plan events, and discuss issues facing the community.
For more information please contact Adrianna Jones, Club President, at email@example.com.
All Marywood faculty & staff are encouraged to include their pronouns in the email signature. You can claim your custom Marywood-branded Gmail Signature by clicking here!
Why are pronouns important? Check out the articles below to learn more!
Students who need assistance or who want to get involved in the community can reach out to these local organizations:
NEPA Rainbow Alliance
The NEPA Rainbow Alliance provides education, support, and advocacy for LGBTQIA individuals and families while working to advance fairness and equality.
Queer NEPA stands on a wholly intersectional platform of community building, education, and advocacy in Northeastern Pennsylvania (NEPA).
Students in crisis are encouraged to use the following resources that can be reached from anywhere in the country:
The Trevor Project
The Trevor Project is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning (LGBTQ) young people under 25.
Need to talk? Call! This peer support hotline is run by and for trans people. They’re available 7am-1am PST / 9am-3am CST / 10am-4am EST. Volunteers may be available during off hours.
Crisis Text Line
Crisis Text Line is free, 24/7 support for those in crisis. Text 741741 from anywhere in the US to text with a trained Crisis Counselor.
Safe Zone Trained Faculty & Staff
The below list indicates Marywood faculty & staff members who have completed Safe Zone training and are ready & able to support LGBTQ+ students in times of need.
- Kaitlin Anderle, Director of Student Disability Services
- Todd Ardan, Campus Safety
- Benjamin Babarsky, Information Technology
- Rachel Baldini, Dance Team Coach
- Dr. Paul Ballard, Assistant Provost for Student Success
- Jennifer Barna, Psychology & Counseling Department
- Molly Baron, Director of Human Resources
- Ann Boland-Chase, Vice President of Enrollment Management and Student Success
- Dr. Marie Bonavoglia, Physician Assistant Department
- Wendy Brenzel, Information Technology
- Christina Brundage, Career Development Center
- Stephanie Campo, Nutrition & Dietetics Department
- Paul Capoccia, Director of Esports
- Frank Carey, Music Theater & Dance Department
- Antonia Cerda-Bevan, Advising & Retention
- Julie Chowanec, Counseling & Student Development Center
- Paul Cimino, Information Technology
- Emily Coleman, International Affairs
- Dr. Daniel Cosacchi, Religious Studies Department
- Riley Covaleski, Information Technology
- Patrick Cowley, Planning & Institutional Effectiveness
- Steven Craig, Counseling & Student Development Center
- Dr. Joshua Deckman, Foreign Languages Department
- Renee DePietro, Campus Safety
- Lea Dougherty, Social Work Department
- Dr. Jeanine Engelmann, Athletic Training Department
- Katherine Fisne, Educational Technology
- Danielle Flowers, Development
- Christina Gigler, Social Work Department
- Jenny Gonzalez, International Affairs
- JuneAnn Greco, Marketing & Communications
- Lawrence Hahn, Mathematics & Computer Science Department
- Rachel Hartz, Director of Undergraduate Admissions
- Dr. B. Lynn Hutchings, Social Work Department
- Sue Jenkins, Art Department
- Lori Kapes, Social Work Department
- Cheryl Kashuba, Academic Excellence Center
- Michelle Ketten, Advising & Career Development
- Ashley Kruchinsky, Marketing
- Dr. Chunchao Lane, Mathematics & Computer Science Department
- Anthony LaChette, Human Resources
- Chesla Lenkaitis, Foreign Language Department
- Courene Loftus, Research & Sponsored Programs
- Tara Lopatofsky, African Sisters Education Collaborative
- Margaret Matthias, Information Technology
- Dr. Christine McCarthy, Religious Studies Department
- Ernie Mengoni, Communication Arts Department
- Christina Menn, Admissions
- Jennifer Mercereau, Housing & Residence Life
- Sr. John Michele, Campus Ministry
- Dr. Christine Mihelich, English Department
- Hannah Monette, Financial Aid
- Dr. Lindsay Morton, Psychology & Counseling Department
- Dr. Janet Muse-Burke, Psychology & Counseling Department
- Ross Novak, Dean of Students
- Ann O’Brien, Campus Ministry
- Dr. Amy Paciej-Woodruff, Education Department
- Kim Padden, Human Resources
- Derek Parker, Psychology & Counseling Department
- Chelsea Pasukinis, Athletic Training Department
- Dr. Heidi Peters, Athletic Training & Exercise Science Department
- Kimberly Petro, Communication Arts Department
- Allison Ranieri-Horrocks, College of Professional Studies
- Mary Reggie, Human Resources
- Brandice Ricciardi, Counseling & Student Development Center
- Dr. Lia Richards-Palmiter, Student Equity & Inclusion
- Lucia Riggi Murray, School of Architecture
- Michael Rogan, Information Technology
- Dr. David Romines, Music Theater & Dance Department
- Karen Rossmell, Psychology & Counseling Department
- Jill Schroth, Continuing Education
- Larissa Schwass, Counseling & Student Development Center
- Rebecca Sesky, Certification Officer
- Marcia Shaffer, Library Services
- Rosemary Shaver, African Sisters Education Collaborative
- Dr. Robert Shaw, Counseling & Student Development Center
- Maura Smith, Director of Student Health Services
- Dr. Kevin Snow, Psychology & Counseling Department
- Tom Steffes, Director of Information Technology
- Dr. Lori Swanchak, Dean of the College of Health & Human Services
- Dr. Susan Turell, Psychology & Counseling Department
- Keshia Vilchert, Housing & Residence Life
- Christa Vinciguerra, Marketing
- Tyler Ward, Housing & Residence Life
- Deborah Wardach, Science Department
- Susan Wilkerson, Counseling & Student Development Center
- Daniel Williams, Information Technology Department
- Jay Yander, Director of Graduate Admissions
- Dr. Frances Zauhar, English Department
- Haleigh Zurek, Student Engagement