Employee Health and Safety Committee
Purpose & Function
The Employee Health and Safety Committee has three main functions:
- Detect hazards
- Analyze and solve problems related to safety and health
- Assist in the management of safety
In addition, the Committee:
- strives to create a campus-wide awareness of the importance of safety;
- provides opportunities for discussion of issues related to accidents;
- reviews existing accident and illness prevention programs and plans education campaigns;
- establishes procedures for conducting and documenting the findings of periodic workplace inspection;
- accepts suggestions from the campus community related to a safe working environment;
- makes recommendations to correct hazards;
- reviews, in a timely manner, incidents resulting in work-related deaths, injuries, illnesses, and complaints;
- conducts evaluations on the effectiveness of new safety equipment;
- evaluates health and safety procedures.
Position Titles of Members on this USC
Managers (total not to exceed total non-supervisory staff):
- Chief of Campus Safety
- Assistant Director of Building and Grounds
- Human Resources Generalist
- Director of Student Health Services
- Manager of Fiscal Operations/Risk Manager
- Two full-time faculty members
- Chemical Hygiene Officer
- At least one professional staff employee
- One employee from the maintenance or grounds staff
- One employee from the maintenance, grounds, or housekeeping staff
- At least one other employee from any hourly classification
- One liaison from Chartwells
- Insurance Representative
- Environmental Health and Safety Consultant
Method of Selection of Members
Staff members are appointed by the Vice President for Operations.
Faculty members are appointed by the Provost.
The rest of the members are ex officio.
Training is provided at least annually to members of the committee by a qualified accident and illness prevention person. Training includes a review of committee responsibilities, hazard identification and accident investigations.
Members are required to attend monthly meetings, participate in monthly inspections, and attend the required annual training. In addition, members attend and assist with monthly fire drills.
Selection of Chair and Secretary
The Chair and the Secretary are elected annually in the month of January with the possibility of re-election.
Staff - three years with possibility of reappointment, unlimited terms.
Faculty - one year with possibility of reappointment, unlimited terms.
An appointment to fill a vacancy in an unexpired term is made from the same employment classification.
Meetings are called by the Chair at least once a month. A quorum (1/2+1) must be maintained at every meeting.
Documentation Requirements for this University Standing Committee
As provided in the University Standing Committee Policy, the Chair(s) of this University Standing Committee, in collaboration with the Office of the Secretary of the University and General Counsel, must provide the following documentation at the end of each Academic Year:
Annual Report: ☒Yes ☐ No
Minutes of Meetings: ☒Yes ☐ No
Vice President of Operations
07/01/89 - Reaffirmed as Committee on Health Promotion with publication of the Faculty Manual 1.7.2, p. 32
02/17/95 - Revision approved by the President of the University as recommended by the College Committee on Policy
07/01/00 - Membership revised
10/30/02 - Revision approved by the Vice President for Business Affairs
08/26/03 - Vice President for Business Affairs removed from membership per Vice President for Business Affairs
06/20/08 - Membership position was changed from Assistant Vice President for Human Resources to Manager from Human Resources.
05/00/07 - Revision approved by the Vice President for Business Affairs
09/15/08 - Reviewed by both the Vice President for Human Resources and the Benefits Manager
07/01/12 - Membership revision approved by the Vice President for Business Affairs
03/20/13 - Membership revision approved by the Vice President for Business Affairs to include liaison from Follett
03/28/14 - Membership revision approved by the Vice President for Business Affairs to include updates to Managers (change from Senior Director of Safety, Security and Environmental Compliance to Chief of Campus Safety) and Non-Supervisory Staff (add Maintenance Field Staff representative), Guests (remove Follett) and add Advisors
08/19/14 - Membership revision to add the position of Chemical Hygiene Officer approved by the Vice President for Business Affairs
07/01/17 - Membership and Description revisions were necessary due to recommendations by the SRA Report: Final 29 November 2016 and the Academic Re-structuring, and were approved by the President of the University
06/11/20 - Title change from Human Resources Manager to Human Resources Generalist
10/26/20 – Title change from Vice President of Business Affairs to Interim Vice President of Operations; Reports to changed from Vice President of Business Affairs to Interim Vice President of Operations.
08/26/21 – Title change from Interim Vice President of Operations to Vice President of Operations. Added Document Requirements Section to all USC Descriptions. Clarified when the election of the Chair and the Secretary of this USC occurred.