Bachelor of Arts - BA
- Prepare for a career in musical theatre/drama
- Intro to technical facilities, effective performance & competencies
- Appear in a public performances, audition for dance & musical productions
Theatre and music as a combined form have a history that extends to the time of Thespis and the dithyrambs of ancient Greece. Encompassing the world of musical theatre and our responsible living in an interdependent world, the program in Performing Arts forms an intrinsic parallel to the Undergraduate School curricular purpose regarding the human condition.
Combining music and theatre, the program consists of these objectives:
- Introducing the student to the technical facilities of musical theatre;
- Familiarizing the student with the separate as well as the combined standards for effective theatrical and musical performance;
- Developing student competencies in musical theatre performance.
Auditions in music, acting, and dance are required for evaluation, advisement, and admission into the major. A Musical Theatre major must appear in a public musical performance each year at Marywood and is required to audition for all dance and musical theatre productions.
More About This Degree
MARYWOOD THEATRE: 1100-seat, professionally equipped auditorium with sophisticated lighting control system; supports the production of classical, contemporary, musical, and children�s theatre.
BLACK BOX THEATRE: Laboratory theatre with flexible staging; designed for student directed productions and to support experimental theatre.
MULTIMEDIA THEATRE: Audio-video facility for public presentations involving cinema, slides, audio and video recordings, and computer-based media.
Completion of this program prepares the student for professional work in music and/or drama, as well as further graduate study.
Undergraduate Admissions Requirements
- Official SAT and/or ACT scores
- Completed application
- Official transcripts
- Letter of recommendation