Medical Laboratory Science
Bachelor of Science - BS
- 3 years at Marywood/1 year in accredited hospital program
- Theoretical and practical experience
- Complete B.S. in biology & apply to affiliated schools
Students can choose one of two options in this program:
- Students spend three years at Marywood fulfilling the University's requirements and those of the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS), with the fourth year spent in an accredited, affiliated hospital program.
- Students who complete a B.S. in biology and who have the necessary prerequisites, may also apply to affiliated schools of medical technology approved by the Board of Registry and/or NAACLS.
More About This Degree
Jay P. Clymer III, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biology
Courses: Biology, Ecology, Evolution, Earth Science and Environmental Science
Deanne Garver, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Courses: Organic Chemistry, Chemistry
Christopher Brey, Ph.D.
Courses: Biotechnology, Genetics
Robin Ertl, Ph.D.
The $6.4 million Center for Natural and Health Sciences is equipped with four large laboratories, a newly renovated Biotechnology research lab, an environmental wet laboratory, a greenhouse, three computer laboratories, and a multi-media auditorium. Marywood's campus is a certified national arboretum.
The career opportunities for a medical technologist/clinical laboratory scientist are varied. They perform important tests related to health and disease, utilizing cutting-edge laboratory methodologies. Although a majority of medical technologist/clinical laboratory scientists work in hospital laboratories, there are a number of other career options. These include:
- Physician Office Laboratories
- Research Facilities
- Veterinary Clinics
- Forensic Laboratories
- Public Health Centers
- Industrial Laboratories
- Higher Education
- Health Law
- Medical/Dental/Veterinary Science
- Medical Writing
- Health Care Administration
Undergraduate Admissions Requirements
- Official SAT and/or ACT scores
- Completed application
- Official transcripts
- Letter of recommendation
Find Your Counselor
The course of study in Medical Technology/Clinical Laboratory Science (MLS) follows a dual track program:
- Students may spend three years at Marywood University fulfilling the university requirements and those of the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS). In this program, the students spend the fourth year at an accredited school of MLS, gaining theoretical and practical experience in the field of MLS. During this internship, students earn a minimum of 30 and a maximum of 33 credits (depending on course offerings at the accrediting school).
- Students who complete a baccalaureate program in biology and who have the appropriate prerequisites may also apply to any accredited schools of medical technology.
Marywood maintains an affiliation with t Robert Packer Hospital, Sayre, Pennsylvania. Affiliation with this school does not guarantee the student’s acceptance into a professional practicum program.
The minimum requirements, as determined by most clinical programs are: 16 semester hours of chemistry (8 credit hours in Organic Chemistry and/or Biochemistry), 16 semester hours of biology (including microbiology and immunology) and 3 credits of college-level mathematics. A minimum of 90 semester hours of credit is required before entrance into the school of MLS. Most MLS schools require a minimum QPA of 2.50.
Courses in the professional curriculum provide both theoretical and practical experience in the field of MLS. A typical curriculum includes courses that are listed at the end of the Science Department course section. The MLS internship counts for a minimum of 30 credits to complete the B.S. Medical Laboratory Science degree awarded by Marywood University.
Prior to the start of a student’s internship experience, Marywood MLS majors must fill out a leave of absence form obtained from the Registrar’s Office. Students are eligible to earn their B.S. Medical Laboratory Science degree on the University graduation date following the successful completion of a minimum of 30 credits from their internship courses.
Medical Laboratory Science students must complete all of Marywood’s academic requirements before starting the internship program, including 47 Science credits. Total number of Science and Internship credits for degree completion is 77.
The following courses are required at Maryuwood:
|BIOL 150, 150L||General Biology I||
|BIOL 151, 151L||General Biology II||
|BIOL 235, 235L||General Microbiology||
|BIOL 332, 332L||Immunology||
|BIOL 446, 446L||Genetics||
|CHEM 131, 131L||General Chemistry I||
|CHEM 132, 132L||General Chemistry II||
|CHEM 223, 221L||Organic Chemistry I||
|CHEM 222, 222L||Organic Chemistry II||
|MATH 216||Statistics for the Behavioral and Social Sciences||
|BIOL 121, 121L||Anatomy and Physiology I||4|
|BIOL 122, 122L||Anatomy and Physiology II||4|
|BIOL 201, 201L||Human Gross Anatomy||4|
|BIOL 202, 202L||Human Physiology||4|
|BIOL 421, 421L||Biochemistry||
|BIOL 440, 440L||Molecular and Cellular Biology||
|BIOL 446, 446L||Genetics|
|CHEM 398, 398L||Chemical Analysis||
|PHYS 303, 303L||General Physics I||
|PHYS 304, 304L||General Physics II||
And other courses, with permission of department chairperson.