Mathematics: Secondary Education
Bachelor of Science - BS
- Foundation in mathematical skills and logical reasoning
- Ability to relate mathematics to the world of the student.
- Fully accredited program (MSCHE & PDE)
Graduates of this program will:
- Know and understand mathematics substantially beyond that which they may be expected to teach;
- Relate that mathematics to the world of the student;
- Make the pupil aware of the role of mathematics in our culture and of the relationship between mathematics and the natural and social sciences;
- Plan and implement a program of learning in mathematics for students of varying backgrounds and abilities;
- Evaluate the learning process through a variety of methods and set up an environment conducive to learning;
- Recognize learning disabilities and know the appropriate measures to take in such cases.
For the Math/Secondary Education major, 66 credits are required in the core curriculum. Students interested in the Math/Secondary Education program should consult the Education Department for a description of admission and retention criteria. The curriculum is subject to change, based on guidelines established by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
More About This Degree
The analytical skills and the habit of independent rational thinking developed in our department at Marywood can serve you well in any number of possible careers - from business to research to teaching. Currently, a shortage of mathematicians exists both in industry and in the teaching profession at every level. Therefore, the job market is extremely good. Our graduates either continue their studies in graduate school or find an interesting and challenging job in their major within weeks of their graduation.
Undergraduate Admissions Requirements
- Official SAT and/or ACT scores
- Completed application
- Official transcripts
- Letter of recommendation