The course of study in Medical Laboratory Science follows a dual track program:
1. Students may spend three years at Marywood University fulfilling the university requirements and those of the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS).
In this program, the students spend the fourth year at an accredited school of MLS, gaining theoretical and practical experience in the field of MLS.
During this internship, students earn a minimum of 30 and a maximum of 33 credits (depending on course offerings at the accrediting school).
2. Students who complete a baccalaureate program in biology and who have the appropriate prerequisites may also apply to any accredited schools of medical technology.
Marywood University maintains affiliation with the schools of MLS at Robert Packer Hospital, Sayre, Pennsylvania. Affiliation with this school does not guarantee the student's acceptance into a professional practicum program.
The minimum requirements, as determined by most clinical programs are:
a. 16 semester hours of chemistry, biology (includes microbiology and immunology)
b. 3 credits of college level mathematics
c. Biochemistry is highly recommended
d. A minimum of 90 semester hours of credit is required for entrance into the school of MLS
e. Minimum QPA of 2.50
On completion of the Robert Packer Hospital (RPH) program, students are eligible to sit for a national certification examination given by the American Society for Clinical Pathologists, Board of Certification (ASCP, BOC). If successful in passing this exam, then the student is certified in all 50 states and U.S. territories and even some middle eastern nations. This certification can also be applied to states that require state licensure such as NY, RI, TN, FL, CA, NV and some others.
(1) Ann Felter Admissions Counselor
Lancaster General College of Nursing and Health Sciences
410 N. Lime St.
Lancaster, PA 17602
(2) Carolyn S. Darr, M.A., MT (ASCP)
Clinical Laboratory Science Program
1001 S. George St
York, PA 17405
(3) Joseph R. Noel, CLS (NCA), MT (ASCP)
Altoona Regional Health System
School of Clinical Laboratory Science
620 Howard Avenue
Altoona, PA 16601-4899
(4) Edwin Beitz, MHA, MT (HHS), MLS (ASCP)
Clinical Laboratory Science Program Director, Laboratory Manager
777 Rural Ave
Williamsport, PA 17701
Send comments to the Science Department at email@example.com