Science Lab Policies

Written laboratory policies may be found in the:

Science Handbook

Student Incident Accident Report

Science Program - Equipment Loan Form

MU Chemical Hygiene Plan

MU Hazardous Waste Management Plan

MU Exposure Control Plan

Cryogenics SOP

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

Please be reminded that all personnel and students must wear the proper PPE in the labs. Required PPE includes appropriate clothing, lab coat, goggles (if required) and gloves. Should a student come unprepared to lab (without proper clothing or the required PPE), he/she will be asked to leave and change and/or retrieve their PPE. All laboratory personnel and students must remove all PPE before leaving the lab. Wearing PPE is not permitted in hallways and restrooms.

Laboratory Clothing

Clothing worn in the laboratory should not be loose-fitting and should cover and protect as much skin as possible. The clothes should be made of materials that are resistant to chemicals, such as cotton or other natural fibers. Jeans and long-sleeved t-shirts are great examples of appropriate laboratory attire. Long or loose hair must be tied back. Remove jewelry (including necklaces, rings, bracelets, and watches) to prevent chemicals from seeping underneath them. Shoes must have closed toes and have soles of a good gripping material. Clogs, perforated shoes, sandals, flip-flops and cloth shoes do not provide protection against spilled chemicals and are not to be worn in the lab.

Laboratory Coats

Lab coats are required when working in the laboratory. They should be snapped and the sleeves (no cuffs) should be rolled down. All students enrolled in science laboratory courses are required to purchase a lab coat from the Marywood University Bookstore. Short lab coats or other lab coats that have not been approved are strictly prohibited with no exceptions. The MU Science Program provides lab coats for employee, research assistant, and lab assistant use only. These lab coats are not to be loaned to students who have forgotten their lab coat. Failure to bring a lab coat constitutes unpreparedness. The student will not be allowed to participate in the lab without their lab coat. Vinyl aprons are required for pouring/mixing strong acids or bases and must be worn over the lab coat. Vinyl aprons are provided and located in the chemistry lab (CNHS 305).

Eye Protection

All persons in the lab area (where chemicals are used) must wear approved eye protection. Wearing of contact lenses in a laboratory is normally forbidden. If the use of contact lenses is required, splash-proof goggles must be worn at all times. Students enrolled in CHEM 131L, CHEM 132L, CHEM 121L, CHEM 221L, CHEM 222L, BIOL 421L/521L courses are required to purchase a pair of indirect vent splash proof goggles from the Marywood University Bookstore. No substitutions are allowed. Students will not be allowed to participate in lab without their goggles. Safety glasses are not permitted in Chemistry labs. Appropriate eye protection is provided for all other labs. Remove eye protection when you leave the lab, which reduces the chance of spreading contaminants to other areas.

Emergency Clothing

Emergency clothing located in the chemistry lab (CNHS 305) is for emergency use only and should only be given to students who have had to disrobe and shower due to a chemical spill. It will not be used for those who are inappropriately dressed for lab.

Dissection Policy

Students enrolled in BIOL 122L and BIOL 151L are required to purchase a dissection kit. Dissection kits may be purchased from the MU Bookstore. Students will not be allowed to participate in dissection labs without their dissection kit.

Cell Phone Use

Cell phone use is prohibited in laboratories.

Laboratory Access

Laboratory access is granted on a semester by semester basis to authorized personnel (i.e. faculty, staff, lab assistants, graduate assistants, research assistants) at the discretion of the Lab Manager and Department Chair. Authorized personnel may report to Madonna Hall at the beginning of each semester to have their MU identification card programmed for laboratory access. Access may be limited to certain laboratories. No lab access will be granted until required lab safety training is complete.

Laboratory Doors

Laboratory doors are fire rated, so they must be kept closed at all times. Propping of laboratory doors is prohibited. Lab instructors may prop lab doors at the beginning of class. Once class begins, the lab doors should be closed. Instructors should make accommodations for students that may need to leave the lab and return. Research lab doors should remain closed at all times. Propping of Research laboratory doors is prohibited.

Safety Training

Mandatory Chemical Hygiene, Blood Bourne Pathogen and Fire Safety training is conducted for all Science Faculty, Laboratory Instructional Assistants, Graduate Assistants, Laboratory Assistants, and Research Assistants typically during the first week of the fall semester. Science Program Laboratory Safety Training is required for all Science Faculty, Laboratory Instructional Assistants, Laboratory Assistants, Research Assistants, Visiting Researchers, and Graduate Assistants prior to working in the research or teaching laboratories. This training is assigned by the Laboratory Manager and Department Chairperson. Additional training may be in consultation with the Principle Investigator if the appointment involves a research project. Additional online training may be required for research assistants and graduate assistants by the Office of Research and Community Collaboration. Specialized training of Laboratory Assistants, Graduate Assistants and Research Assistants is also conducted on a case-by-case basis by the Laboratory Manager or Principle Investigator. No lab access will be granted until required lab safety training is complete.

Incident/Accident Reports

An incident report should be filed with each laboratory accident or near miss. A report detailing the event must be filled out by the Supervisor, Laboratory Instructor or Principle Investigator as soon as possible.

Employee Incident/Accident Reports

If an MU employee is involved in an incident/accident an Incident/Accident Investigation Report must be filed with Human Resources within 24 hours.

Student Incident/Accident Reports

If an MU student (who does not work for MU) is involved in an incident/accident a Student Incident/Accident Report must be filed with the Laboratory Manager. Copies of the MU Science Program Incident Report can also be found in the lab instructor desk.