In order to streamline Science Program purchase order procedures, a standard operating procedure for the ordering of research laboratory supplies is essential. This procedure is designed to guarantee all chemicals and supplies are received through a central location. This will ensure Safety Data Sheets (SDS) are obtained prior to ordering, chemicals and supplies are logged into the inventory and materials are properly handled and stored.
This procedure applies to all principal investigators and student researchers who need to order research laboratory supplies.
- Purchase orders requisition forms must be completed for requested items.
- The following information must be included on the requisition:
- Vendor Name
- Item # of requested item(s)
- Item description, including size, volume, etc.
- Price, if quoted from the vendor with price quote attached to PO requisition, where applicable
- Date when material(s) are required
- The Principal Investigator will signify approval of the requisition by his/her signature and the proper budget number designation will be assigned.
- All Purchase Order (PO) requisitions are submitted to the Laboratory Manager (LM).
- The LM will obtain SDS on any new chemical and review it for storage and handling recommendations.
- The LM will submit the PO requisition to Fiscal Affairs (Purchasing Agent/Grants Accountant) for processing and assignment of a PO number.
- Purchasing will return the completed PO to the LM, who will review the document for errors.
- The order will be placed by the LM via fax, phone or online. All orders will be tracked by the LM.
- All orders will be inspected upon delivery by the LM for accuracy and damage. The LM will resolve any problems with orders.
- The LM will notify the Principal Investigator upon the arrival of his or her items. The LM will log chemicals into the inventory and deliver them to the appropriate location for storage.
- The LM will sign, date and mark “OK to Pay” the PO green copy. This should then be copied, retained. The green copy will be sent to Fiscal Affairs.
- The LM will file the remaining PO copy and original packing slip according to the assigned budget number. These files shall be accessible to the Department Chair, Principle Investigator and the Secretary for budget monitoring purposes.