We now live in a molecular society in the post-genomic era with scientific breakthroughs that affect us all. As a biotechnology professional, you’ll make a difference in how society uses these advances.
Marywood's five-year Biotechnology program will not only provide you with professional and technical training, but also with the ability to critically evaluate biotechnology advances and applications, as the program blends modern science education with communication skills, management, and analytical reasoning. It is an interdisciplinary program that will prepare you to succeed in a variety of challenging arenas – from technical/lab research, to business management/research, to professional preparation for medical, dental, and veterinary schools.
The M.S. Biotechnology program prepares students for careers in broad fields related to biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, as well as many others.
A science master's program is an interdisciplinary graduate degree which blends modern science education with components such as communication skills, management and business understanding, and analytical reasoning.
What type of career opportunities are available for an M.S. scientist?
The present market is particularly strong for scientists of this caliber. Some career opportunities include:
- pharmaceutical companies
- Technical/lab research public and private sectors
- Business management/research public and private sectors
- Instructor's positions in academia
Program Design/Point of Entry
The M.S. Biotechnology program is composed of two basic curriculum tracks, depending on point of entry.
- Undergraduates in their junior or senior years can elect for a five year B.S. to M.S. Biotechnology curriculum.
- Applicants possessing a B.S. or B.A. in the life sciences can enter the two-year, stand-alone M.S. track.
Neither tracks require a written thesis.
Entry for Undergraduate Students in five-year program
General screening by an admissions committee from the Science Program for this track typically takes place after year three if the student is a Marywood science major.
Students in the five year program and in good academic standing (GPA of 3.0 minimum, IELTS 6.5, and TOEFL 81) are candidates for the graduate component in the fifth year.
A B.S. or B.A. in an Undergraduate major related to the life sciences is recommended. An undergraduate GPA of 3.00 or higher is expected. Prerequisite courses for the M.S. Biotechnology program include:
- one year of General Biology with lab, General Chemistry with lab, Organic Chemistry with lab
- One semester of Microbiology with lab, an upper-level Math (e.g.. calculus)
- One semester of upper-level biology or chemistry with lab (e.g.. Immunology, Genetics, Biochemistry)
A completed application must include:
- Official, unopened transcripts from all undergraduate institutions attended.
- A GRE score
- Two letters of recommendation from professional references (former professors, work supervisors, et al.)
- A minimum TOEFL score of 81
- IELTS minimum score of 6.5
- Essay (1-2 pages) describing the candidate's career objectives and how the M.S. Biotechnology degree will assist with such goals.
- A professional resume.
To be considered for the program, applicants are required to submit an application for admission - $30.00 application fee. Each application is reviewed by the Science Program Graduate Admissions Committee and notification of the committee's decision is communicated by the Marywood University Graduate Admissions office.
MS Biotechnology Program Requirements