Marywood's Department of Psychology and Counseling provides a wide range of programs designed to serve the interests and professional orientations of varied human service practitioners. We have been involved in the training of psychologists, counselors, and other mental health professionals for over 50 years.
Specifically, the Department strives to:
- Educate students in understanding the complexity and diversity of human behavior
- Develop the ability to think critically, understand research, research methodology, techniques of data collection and analysis, and respect for scientifically derived knowledge
- Educate students to develop and implement assessment and intervention strategies associated with individual and group behavior
- Facilitate students' understanding of varied roles, obligations, and ethics of human service providers and researchers
- Develop competencies to critically evaluate and contribute to research in the fields of psycholgy and counseling.