- Undergraduate Programs
- Graduate Programs
- School Psychology Program (Ed.S.)
- Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program (Psy.D.)
- Admission Requirements
- Program Completion Requirements
- Faculty & Staff
- Student Clubs & Organizations
- Student Research
- Student Resources
The Marywood University graduate programs in Elementary, Secondary and Menatal Health counseling have been accredited by the Counsel for Accrediting Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
TO: Cooperating Agency/School Supervisor
FROM: Janet L. Muse-Burke, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Psychology and Counseling
RE: Field Placement
Thank you for your willingness to consider providing a supervised practicum experience for a graduate student in Mental Health Counseling/School Counseling at Marywood University. The purpose of this letter is to outline the requirements for Applied Practices II, which is the student's initial field placement experience in the Mental Health Counseling/School Counseling program. It is expected that this supervised field placement will provide the student with the first opportunity to do direct clinical work as well as become familiar with various other professional counseling activities.
Over the course of the 15-week semester, the Applied Practices II student is expected to complete a minimum of 100 hours in the supervised field placement. Additionally, the student must have 40 direct client contact hours. Twenty-five percent (25%) of the direct client contact hours may be group counseling or, in the case of a school placement, classroom guidance activities. A practicum student can be a meaningful addition to your staff, in that he or she can be expected to provide individual and group counseling on a limited basis and under direct supervision. You can maximize the effectiveness of the student and enhance her or his professional development by:
- insuring that four and one half (4 1/2) or more hours per week are used for direct service with clients appropriate to the level of training of the practicum student;
- providing the student a minimum of one (1) hour of supervision every week during her or his placement at your school/agency, which must be provided by a supervisor with a master's degree in counseling or a related field and 3 years experience;
- allowing the student to obtain audio or video tapes (10 taped sessions required) of interactions with clients for use in supervision sessions;
- giving the student opportunities to become familiar with the full range of professional activities and resources, which might include attendance at staff meetings; participation in consultations/service team meetings; use of professional resources; and access to computers, print media, or other communication devices.
Your willingness to contribute to the professional development of future professional counselors is sincerely appreciated. If there are any questions or concerns regarding this field placement experience, please do not hesitate to contact Dr. Janet Muse-Burke at (570) 348-6211 ext. 2367 or email@example.com.