Academic Programs of Study
Marywood's 4+1 program in Professional Writing is unique to Northeastern Pennsylvania where you will learn how to write at an advanced level in a variety of professional settings, no matter your career interest.
Traditional undergraduates have the opportunity and flexibility to earn the M.A. degree in one year.
For 4+1, Marywood students from the following majors and minors with a minimum of a 3.5 GPA in the major or minor and 3.33 overall GPA are eligible to apply for the 4+1 program:
More About This Degree
Composition, 20th Century American Literature, Feminist Theory, and English Education
Modern British Literature, Modern American Literature, and Shakespeare
Victorian Literature and Children's Literature
18th Century Fiction and Catholic Writers
|Career||Annual Average Openings|
* Data supplemented from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and recent graduate success.
Specific Program Requirements
- All college transcripts
- Statement of Purpose (2 pages)
- Response to Program Writing Prompt
- Academic or Professional Writing Sample (6-10 pages, can be excerpted from a longer work)
- 2 letters of recommendation (waived for current students and recent alumni (i.e., students within two years of graduation)
- For 4+1, Marywood students from the following majors and minors with a minimum of a 3.5 GPA in the major or minor and 3.33 overall GPA are eligible to apply for the 4+1 program:
· Advertising and Public Relations
· Broadcast Journalism
· Digital Media
· Broadcast Communication
· Public Relations
Choose one of the two following prompts and write approximately 500-600 words in response:
- Write an op-ed piece for a local newspaper (local to you) persuading its readers of the importance of learning a second language. Please identify the name of the paper to which you have chosen to write in the header. Give your essay a title that could be used as a headline.
- Write a professional letter that could be sent to a real local business or a real local nonprofit agency arguing that their services to customers should be offered in both English and Spanish. Please identify the name of the business or agency.
Undergraduate Admissions Requirements
- Official SAT and/or ACT scores
- Completed application
- Official transcripts
- Letter of recommendation