Policy & Procedures Manual
Emeritus/Emerita Designation for Faculty
Emeritus status is an honorary title awarded for distinguished service to the academic community. The title may be bestowed on a faculty member who is entering permanent retirement and who has served the University and academic community with distinction. The bestowal of Emeritus status is a distinctive honor, not a right.
Criteria for Nomination
- Minimum of 10 years of service.
- Must hold the rank of Associate or Full Professor.
- Must be within one year of retirement date (either before or after formal retirement date).
- Must have achieved eminence through teaching, service, and scholarship (or creative work) in college, professional, and community activities.
- All University benefits granted to faculty retirees;
- Listing in University catalog and directory at highest rank achieved with incorporation of Emeritus designation;
- Presentation of a certificate or resolution, appropriate for framing;
- Receive University ID/business card designating as Emeritus faculty, if requested;
- Ability to request institutional affiliation for proposals to funding agencies;
- Use of University stationery when in correspondence related to her/his professional role while a Marywood faculty member (e.g., submission of journal articles, serving as a reviewer for journals or books);
- Maintain access to campus email;
- Retain use of campus dining facilities;
- Any other privileges conferred by the University President/Board of Trustees.
- In order for the retiring faculty member to be considered for Emeritus/Emerita status, he/she must be nominated by the appropriate College/School Dean, chairperson of department, or a tenured member of the University.
- Upon nomination, the candidate must submit to the Provost an application for such status which includes a current CV, three letters of recommendation (two must be from current Marywood faculty members) that discuss the individual’s contributions in outstanding teaching, service, scholarship, or creative work throughout her/his career at Marywood University.
- The Provost reviews the application and then submits a recommendation to the University President.
- The University President will review the application, consider the Provost’s recommendation, and render a final decision.
05/16/13 - Approved by the President of the University as recommended by the Policy Committee of the University.
03/02/15 - Revision approved by the President of the University as recommended by the Policy Committee of the University.
04/17/15 - Revision approved by the President of the University as recommended by the Policy Committee of the University.
01/31/17 - Revision to this policy was necessary as the SRA: Final Report 29 November 2016 eliminated the Emeritus Committee. Revision was approved by the President of the University as recommended by the Policy Committee of the University.