Emeritus/Emerita Designation for Faculty
Emeritus status is an honorary title awarded for distinguished service to the academic community. The title may be bestowed on a faculty member who is entering permanent retirement and who has served the University and academic community with distinction. The bestowal of Emeritus status is a distinctive honor, not a right.
Criteria for Nomination
- Minimum of 10 years of service.
- Must hold the rank of Associate or Full Professor.
- Must be within one year of retirement date (either before or after formal retirement date).
- Must have achieved eminence through teaching, service, and scholarship (or creative work) in college, professional, and community activities.
- Notwithstanding the foregoing, for the period through September 1, 2015, any person retired from academic service at the University as of December 31, 2014, is eligible for nomination for the Emeritus/Emerita Designation so long as h/she meets the other Criteria for Nomination.
- All University benefits granted to faculty retirees;
- Listing in University catalog and directory at highest rank achieved with incorporation of Emeritus designation;
- Presentation of a certificate or resolution, appropriate for framing;
- Receive University ID/business card designating as Emeritus faculty;
- Ability to request institutional affiliation for proposals to funding agencies;
- Use of University stationery when in correspondence related to her/his professional role while a Marywood faculty member (e.g., submission of journal articles, serving as a reviewer for journals or books);
- Maintain access to campus email;
- Retain use of campus dining facilities;
- Any other privileges conferred by the University President/Board of Trustees.
1. In order for the retiring faculty member to be considered for Emeritus/Emerita status, he/she must be nominated by the appropriate College/School Dean, chairperson of department, or a tenured member of the University.
2. Upon nomination, the candidate must submit to the Emeritus Committee an application for such status which includes an updated CV, three letters of recommendation (two of which must be from currently employed faculty members at Marywood) that discuss the individual’s contributions in outstanding teaching, service, scholarship, or creative work throughout her/his career at Marywood University.
3. After review of the application, the Emeritus Committee submits its recommendations for such status to the Provost who reviews the application and submits a recommendation, along with the Emeritus Committee’s recommendation, to the University President.
The University President will review the applications for Emeritus/Emerita status and render a final decision.
05/16/13-Approved by the President of the University as recommended by the Policy Committee of the University.
03/02/15 - Revision approved by the President of the University as recommended by the Policy Committee of the University.
04/17/15 - Revision approved by the President of the University as recommended by the Policy Committee of the University.