The Board of Trustees of Marywood University, a governing board, exists as a body empowered by the sponsor, the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Scranton, PA, and by the state, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The Board, recognizing itself as a body acting in trust, acknowledges that its corporate authority is matched by its corporate accountability. Its philosophy of leadership is based on principles of strategic direction and major policy making.
- The Board is the guardian of institutional values. Its philosophy of leadership based on strategic direction and major policy making enables an outcome driven system that enforces mission as the central organizational focus.
- The Board defines its leadership position as one that is more of governance than of management.
- Delegation of authority to the President of the University as Chief Executive Officer coupled with pronouncements of explicit Board policies frees the Board to direct its attention to matters of enduring importance, to use board time efficiently, and to keep focused on the vision for the future.
- Explicit major policies pronounced by the Board address areas of responsibility defined in the Bylaws.
- Annual Meeting of the Board of Trustees
- Evaluation of Presidential Performance
- Strategic Planning
- Board Policy Dissemination
- Minutes of Standing Committees of the Board of Trustees
- Cultural Diversity Efforts
- Conflict of Interest Policy for Trustees
- Relationship of the Board to the Members of the Corporation
- Selection of Trustees
- Monitoring Executive Performance
- Presidential Succession
- Trustee Code of Conduct
- Conferring Academic Degrees
- Delegation to the President
- Safe University Environment
- New Academic Programs
- Mission Statement of Marywood University
1/23/99 - Adopted by the Board of Trustees and placed in Board of Trustees Manual