Policy & Procedures Manual
Complaint Procedures for Administrators and Staff
It is understood that, on occasion, problems or misunderstandings may arise in the workplace.
Situations involving possible discrimination, harassment and/or assault are governed by the Anti-Discrimination and the Anti-Discrimination Complaint Procedures policies.
The following procedures are steps that employees may take to resolve problems other than those that involve possible discrimination, harassment and/or assault:
- The employee should first discuss the problem with his or her immediate supervisor, who will make a reasonable effort to remedy the situation or refer the matter to the appropriate person. The supervisor will report the decision to the employee, in writing if necessary, usually within ten working days of the initial discussion with the employee.
- If a mutually acceptable solution cannot be reached, or the employee feels s/he cannot discuss the matter with the supervisor, the employee may contact a higher level supervisor.
- The higher level supervisor will meet individually with the persons involved and respond to the employee, in writing if necessary, usually within ten working days of the initial meeting with the employee.
- If the situation remains unresolved, the employee and/or the higher level supervisor may contact the Associate Vice President for Human Resources within ten working days of the issuance of the written decision or communication of the oral decision. The Parties must submit to the Associate Vice President for Human Resources copies of all written communications in the process. The Associate Vice President for Human Resources may meet individually with the persons involved and will respond to all parties, in writing, usually within ten working days of the receipt of all material. If the situation involves the Associate Vice President for Human Resources thereby creating a conflict of interest, the employee may contact the Vice President for Business Affairs.
- Should the problem still exist, despite the work in steps one through four, the employee may make a written appeal to the President of the University within ten working days of the Associate Vice President’s response. The appeal must contain the written answers from the supervisor(s) and the Associate Vice President for Human Resources. The President may meet with the appropriate individuals. After appropriate review the President shall issue a final, binding decision in writing, usually within fifteen working days, from service of the notice of appeal and all written documentation.
07/01/91 - Reaffirmed with publication of the Personnel Manual
01/27/06 - Cyclical review approved including change of title from Complaint Procedures for Non-faculty Employees
12/04/13 - Revision approved by the President of the University as recommended by the Policy Committee of the University