It is understood that, on occasion, problems or misunderstandings may arise in the workplace. Following is the procedure for resolving differences.
- The employee first discusses the problem with his or her immediate supervisor. The supervisor will make a sincere effort to remedy the situation or refer the employee to someone who can. The supervisor will report the decision to the employee in writing within ten working days of the discussion with the employee.
- If the supervisor is unable to find a mutually acceptable solution, or the employee feels s/he cannot discuss the matter with the supervisor, the employee may contact a higher level supervisor.
- The higher level supervisor will meet individually with the persons involved and respond to the employee in writing within ten working days of the meeting with the employee.
- If the situation is still not resolved, the employee and/or the higher level supervisor may contact the Assistant Vice President for Human Resources within seven working days of the proposed resolution. Having received copies of all written communications in the process, the Assistant Vice President for Human Resources may meet individually with the persons involved and respond to the employee in writing within ten working days of the appeal.
- Should the above procedures not solve the problem, the employee may make a written appeal to the President of the University within seven working days of the Assistant Vice President's response. The appeal must contain the written answers from the supervisor(s) and the Assistant Vice President of Human Resources. The President may meet with the appropriate individuals and shall issue a final, binding decision in writing within twelve days after the receipt of the appeal.
07/01/91 - Reaffirmed with publication of the Personnel Manual
01/27/06 - Cyclical review approved including change of title from Complaint Procedures for Non-faculty Employees