More Success Stories
Dr. Kristin Bewick
Position: Assistant Professor, Wilkes University; Director of Learning/Tutoring Clinic, Dunmore, PA; Cognitive Therapist at Allied Services; Published Author
She holds certifications in Special Education, Elementary Education, Learning Disabilities, Reading, and Cognitive Rehabilitation Therapy. Since 1987 she has served the position of Cognitive Therapist in the Department of Neuropsychological/Cognitive Services at the John Heinz Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine, Wilkes-Barre, PA.
Since 2000, Dr. Bewick has worked in the Education Department/School of Education at Wilkes University as an assistant professor, advisor, teacher trainer, and program coordinator. She has co-authored and authored articles and publications about education and cognition, including the rehabilitation program guide for brain injury titled BRAINWAVE-R, a series of workbooks for patients and their families. Dr. Bewick is the owner and director of LearnMore Service, LLC, in Dunmore, Pennsylvania, a clinic that provides a variety of learning, test preparation, and tutoring programs for clients of all ages.
The Strategy Training Program Workbook by Dr. Kristin Bewick grew out of her doctoral dissertation research at Marywood. Her dissertation title was "Evaluating the Efficacy of a Strategy Training Program on Students with ADHD." The learning strategies in the workbook have been developing since 1987 when she worked as a therapist with clients with special cognitive needs at the John Heinz Institute. Dr. Bewick went on to field test her learning strategy program with children of various ages and grade levels, including those with special needs. The workbook can be used by teachers, parents, clinicians, and specialists who want to help children learn. It is available online at www.avventurapress.com.
Awards and Acknowledgements
William Fred Miller, Ph.D., was selected as 2014 winner of the William G. McGowan Medal for Excellence in Doctoral Studies at Marywood University.
Beverly McNamara, Ph.D., was selected as 2014 winner of the Melvin Medal for Excellence in Scholarly Investigation at Marywood University
Edward P. Syron, Ph.D. has been profiled by the Greater Ohio Healthcare Leaders' Forum.
Christopher W. O'Brien, MS, ATC was selected as the recipient of the Eastern Athletic Trainers' Association (EATA) 2007 Francis J .George Scholarship Award. This award is given to the most outstanding doctoral student who is a member of the EATA.
Patricia Miller, Ph.D. was named the Margaretta Belin Chamberlin Chair Award for Distinguished Faculty Service at Keystone College
Brian Mauro was the recipient of the Grady Roberts Graduate Student Writing Award for an abbreviated version of the paper, Can Social Norming Theory Be Applied to Change Student Behavior?, derived from his Qualifying Paper.
Dr. Francis Battisti was recently promoted to the rank of State University of New York Distinguished Service Professor and inducted into the ranks of the SUNY Distinguished Academy.
Sample Employment Settings of Alumni
- Kristine Bewick, Ph.D. - Wilkes University (faculty)
- Trudy Coleman, Ph.D. - Northeast Regional Cancer Institute (epidemiologist)
- Pat Dunleavy, Ph.D. - Marywood University (Human Resources)
- Debra Fetherman, Ph.D. - University of Scranton (Director of Community Health Education)
- Sonji Lee, Ph.D. - Keystone College (faculty)
- Jeff Leitzel, Ph.D. - Bloomsburg University (faculty)
- Jill Murray, Ph.D. - Lackawanna College (Academic Vice President)
- Stephen Pugliese, Ph.D. - Immaculata University (Vice President for Student Development and Engagement)
- Lia Richards-Palmiter, Ph.D. - Marywood University (Diversity Office)
- Thomas Quinn, Ph.D. - Abington Heights School District (Assistant Superintendent)
- Cherie Roberts, Ph.D. - Bloomsburg University (faculty)
- Heather Shanks-McElroy, Ph.D. - Keystone College (faculty)
- Ann Way, Ph.D. - Tunkhannock Area School District (Assistant Superintendent)
- Francis Battisti, Ph.D., SUNY Broome Community College (Executive Vice President)
- Janine Becker, Ph.D., Dean of Enrollment Management, York College