The Leave Donation Bank assists regular full- and part-time salaried and hourly staff who experience a hardship, serious health condition, or medical emergency and have no sick, personal or vacation time of their own to use. Examples include protracted illness of the employee or an immediate family member, severe injury to the employee or an immediate family member, fire or theft of personal property, or death of family member. The bank is funded by voluntary, non-coerced donations from active salaried and hourly staff. The following conditions apply:
- Donations must be voluntary, non-coercive, and not individually solicited.
- Donations must be made in days, at least one-half day minimum.
- Employees may donate up to five days per fiscal year, provided that the donor has at least five days remaining of their own sick, personal, and vacation days after the donation.
- Donations are made to the bank, not to a specific individual.
- Donors are kept anonymous.
- Donations cannot be revoked or cancelled.
- Recipients may receive up to one-third the total amount of time in the Leave Donation Bank, not to exceed 90 days.
- Leave days that are allocated to an employee and not used revert to the Leave Donation Bank.
Immediate family is defined as mother, father, sister, brother, spouse, biological, adopted, foster or step child, legal ward, or "child" of a person acting in the capacity of a parent.
Donors must complete a Leave Donation Form and submit it to the Human Resources Department for review and approval. Once approved, the donated time is deducted from the donor's benefit days and applied to the Leave Donation Bank. Human Resources will notify donors and their immediate supervisors once the transfer has been completed. Donations cannot be revoked or cancelled.
Employees may request time from the Leave Donation Bank by completing a Leave Donation Request Form and submitting it to the Human Resources Department for review. Documentation is required for all medical cases and may be required in other instances. Employees who request time must use all of their vacation, personal, sick and bank time before applying to the Leave Donation Bank.
Human Resources will review each case and consult with the appropriate supervisor and vice president. Employees will be notified in writing of the decision.