Diane M. DellaValle, PhD, RDNAssociate Professor, Research Nutritionist/Dietitian
- ND 203 / 203L: Food Science and Technology, with Laboratory
- ND 233 / 233L: Social and Cultural Aspects of Food, with Laboratory
- ND 581 / SNES 581: The Energy Nutrients and Alcohol
- ND 582 / SNES 582: Vitamins and Minerals
- DM DellaValle, RP Glahn, and KO O’Brien. Iron absorption from and intrinsically-labeled lentil meal is low but upregulated in women with poor iron status. Journal of Nutrition 2015; 145 (10).
- DM DellaValle and RP Glahn. Differences in relative iron bioavailability of traditional Bangladeshi meal plans. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 2014; 35(4): 431-9.
- TP Ho, X Zhao, AB Courville, JD Linderman, S Smith, N Sebring, DM DellaValle, B Fitzpatrick, L Simchowitz, FS Celi. Effects of a 12-month moderate weight loss intervention on insulin sensitivity and inflammation status in non-diabetic overweight and obese subjects. Hormone and Metabolic Research 2014, Epub ahead of print 30 Jun 2014.
- DM DellaValle and JD Haas. Iron supplementation improves energetic efficiency in iron-depleted female rowers. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 2014; 46 (6): 1204-15.
- Carnie A, Lin J, Aicher B, Leon B, Courville A, Sebring N, de Jesus J, DellaValle DM, Fitzpatrick B, Zalos G, Powell-Wiley T, Chen K, and Cannon R. Randomized Trial of Nutrition Education Added to Internet-based Information and Exercise at the Work Place for Weight Loss in a Racially Diverse Population of Overweight Women. Nutrition and Diabetes 2013;3, e98; doi: 10.1038/nutrd.2013.39; published online 23 Dec 2013.
- DM DellaValle, A Vandenberg, RP Glahn. Seed coat removal improves iron bioavailability in cooked lentils: studies using in vitro digestion / Caco-2 cell culture model. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2013; 61: 8084-89.
- DM DellaValle. Iron supplementation for female athletes: effects on iron status and performance outcomes. Current Sport Medicine Reports July/Aug 2013; 12 (4): 234-9.
- DM DellaValle, D Thavarajah, P Thavarajah, A Vandenberg, RP Glahn. Lentil (Lens culinaris L.) as a candidate crop for iron biofortification: Is there a genetic potential for iron bioavailability? Field Crops Research 2013; 144: 119-125.
- SE Crouter, DM DellaValle, JD Haas, EA Frongillo, DR Bassett. Validity of ActiGraph 2-regression model and Matthews and NHANES and cut-points for assessing free-living physical activity. Journal of Physical Activity & Health (online 09/2012; to be in journal May 2013, vol 10 (4)).
- DM DellaValle and JD Haas. Iron status is associated with endurance performance and training in female rowers. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 2012; 44 (8): 1552-59. Published online first: February 28, 2012; doi: 10.1249/MSS.0b013e3182517ceb
- SE Crouter, DM DellaValle, JD Haas. Relationship between physical activity, physical performance and iron status in adult women. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism 2012; 37 (4): 697-705.
- M Tanofksy-Kraff, LB Shomaker, EA Stern, R Miller, N Sebring, DM DellaValle, S Yanovski, VS Hubbard, JA Yanovski. Children’s binge eating and development of metabolic syndrome. International Journal of Obesity (Lond) 36: 956-62, 2012. Published online first: January 10, 2012; doi: 10.1038/ijo.2011.259
- DM DellaValle and JD Haas. Quantification of training load and intensity in female collegiate rowers: validation of a daily assessment tool. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 2013; 27 (2): 540-8; Published online first: April 10, 2012; doi: 10.1519/JSC.0b013e3182577053
- DM DellaValle and JD Haas. Impact of iron depletion without anemia on performance in trained endurance athletes at the beginning of a training season: a study of female collegiate rowers. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism 2011; 21: 501-6.
- SE Crouter, DM DellaValle, M Horton, JD Haas, EA Frongillo, and DR Bassett, Jr. Validity of the Actical for estimating free-living physical activity. European Journal of Applied Physiology 2011; 111(7): 1381-89. Published online first: December 13, 2010; doi:10.1007/s00421-010-1758-2.
- SE Crouter, DM DellaValle, M Horton, JD Haas, EA Frongillo, and DR Bassett, Jr. A refined 2- regression model for the ActiGraph accelerometer. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. Published online first: December 4, 2009; doi: 10.1249/MSS.0b013e3181c37458. NIHMSID: NIHMS161238
- DM DellaValle, LS Roe, BJ Rolls. Does the consumption of caloric and non-caloric beverages with a meal affect energy intake? Appetite 2005; 44: 187-193.
Dr. DellaValle received her bachelor's degree in Nutrition and Dietetics through the Coordinated Program in Dietetics from Marywood University and her master's degree in Nutritional Sciences from Penn State University. She earned her Ph.D. in Human Nutrition from Cornell University.
Chair, Expert Workgroup, Hypertension Guideline 2012 Update Committee, Evidence Analysis Library, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: July 2012 – Present
Member, Committee on Evidence-Based Practice and Scientific Affairs, American College of Sports Medicine: September 2011-Present
Abstract Reviewer, Food and Nutrition Conference and Expo (FNCE) Abstracts (Women’s Health, Disease Prevention, Exercise/fitness/sports nutrition, Nutrient deficiencies, Micronutrients/vitamins/minerals, Wt management/obesity, Research methods); Academy Nutrition and Dietetics
Abstract Reviewer, American Society for Nutrition / Experimental Biology Abstracts, Dietary Bioactive Components Research Interest Section (RIS)
Manuscript reviewer, Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism; International Journal Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism; British Journal of Nutrition; Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism; American Journal of Health Behaviors; Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport; Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine; Agriculture; Physiology & Behavior
Adjunct Professor, Medical University South Carolina (MUSC), Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Charleston, SC, Aug 2015 – Present
Adjunct Professor, University of Saskatchewan, College of Pharmacy and Nutrition, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, August 2013- Present
Assistant Professor, Medical University South Carolina (MUSC), Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Charleston, SC, Aug 2013 – Aug 2015
Post-doctoral Research Associate, USDA-ARS, Robert W. Holley Center for Agriculture and Health, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, October 2011- Aug 2013
Lead Evidence Analyst, Evidence Analysis Library, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), Chicago, IL, Fall 2006- Present
Study Coordinator, Cognitive Assessments Validation Study, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, March 2013 – August 2013
Metabolic Clinical Research Dietitian, Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, June 2010- July 2011
Vandenberg A (PI), DellaValle DM (Co-PI), Smits (Co-PI), Chilibeck P (Co-PI), Henry C ( Co-PI), Zello G (Co-PI). Effects of Biofortified Lentils on Iron and Selenium Status (EBLISS), Global Institute for Food Security, $2,000,000. Jan 2015 – Dec 2020. (DellaValle DM Present: 10% Effort)
DellaValle DM (PI). The Effects of a Pre-Clinical Didactic Nutrition/Wellness Curriculum on Medical Student Health and Nutrition Status. Innovations in Teaching Pilot Grant, $10,000, Jan 2015 – Aug 2016 (No effort supported).
DellaValle DM (Co-PI), O’Brien KO (Co-PI), Glahn RP (Co-PI). Iron absorption from a lentil meal, Saskatchewan Pulse Growers (SPG), $40,000, October 2013-Feb 2014 (DellaValle DM: 100% Effort).
DellaValle DM (Co-PI), Glahn RP (Co-PI). Hydroponic growth of intrinsically-labeled lentils, Saskatchewan Pulse Growers (SPG), $11,000, June 2012-April 2013 (DellaValle DM: 100% Effort).