FBI Background Check: This is required of ALL students yearly.
The procedure is as follows:
FEDERAL (FBI) CRIMINAL HISTORY REPORT, AS OF MARCH 30, 2007
ACT 114, Section 111 of the Public School Code
The fingerprint-based background check is a multiple-step process:
1. The applicant must register prior to going to the fingerprint site. Walk in service without prior registration will not be provided at any fingerprinting location. Registration is completed online or over the phone.
Registration is available online 24 hours/day, seven days per week at www.pa.cogentid.com. (When on the site, click on PA Department of Public Welfare. Click Register Online under the "Registration Column")
Telephonic registration is available at 1-888-439-2486 Monday through Friday, 8am to 6pm EST. During the registration process, all demographic data for the applicant is collected (name, address, SSN, etc.) there is no data entry required at the fingerprint collection site.
2. The applicant will pay a fee of $36.00 for the fingerprint service and to secure the Criminal History Record. Applicants may make their payment online at www.pa.cogentid.com using a credit card or debit card. Money orders or cashiers checks payable to Cogent Systems will be accepted on site for those applicants who do not have the means to pay electronically. No cash transactions or personal checks are allowed.
3. The applicant proceeds to the fingerprint site of their choice for fingerprinting. The location of the fingerprint sites and days and hours of operation for each site will be posted on Cogent Systems' website at www.pa.cogentid.com. The location of fingerprint sites may change over time so applicants are encouraged to confirm the site location nearest to their location.
4. At the fingerprint site the Applicant Livescan Operators (ALO) manage the fingerprint collection process.
5. The fingerprint transaction begins when the ALO reviews the applicant's qualified State or Federal photo ID before processing the applicant's transaction. A list of approved ID types may be found on the Cogent Systems' website at www.pa.cogentid.com. Applicants will not be processed if they cannot produce an acceptable photo ID.
6. After the identity of the applicant has been established, all ten fingers are scanned to complete the process. The entire fingerprint capture process should take no more than three to five minutes.
7. The applicant's scanned fingerprints will be electronically transmitted to the FBI as required by federal statute.
8. The Department of Public welfare (DPW) will receive the Federal Criminal History Record from the FBI. DPW's Background Check Unit through the ChildLine and Abuse Registry will return the Federal Criminal History Record to the applicant. The Record will be printed on standard 8.5" X 11" paper that when copied will reveal "Void if Copied." This does not prohibit an employer from copying the applicant's results letter, it is solely a means to verify that it is an official record.
Do not contact Cogent Systems or the fingerprint site after your fingerprints have been submitted. Cogent Systems does not have the means to give the applicant the status of their background check. Complete processing of their results should take no longer than 4-6 weeks. If the applicant does not receive their results from DPW in this time frame, they should call (717) 783-6211.
9. The applicant will then provide a copy of the Federal Criminal History Record to the Department of Nursing.
This is a long process! The return clearance can take 12-14 weeks. Be diligent in filling out the forms correctly. An example is available in the Nursing Lab.
*** ALL BACKGROUND CHECKS ARE REQUIRED YEARLY ***