Invitation for Service Trip Chaperones
Plans are underway for Campus Ministry's 2011-2012 Service Trip Program, which includes alternative break experiences during Fall, Spring and Summer Breaks. I invite you to consider serving as a chaperone for an upcoming trip. Download an information sheet about the roles and expectations of Chaperones as well as a Chaperone Application Form.
This year, the following trips are planned:
Fall Break - October 14-18, 2011
Please submit the attached Chaperone Application by September 26 to chaperone a Fall Break trip.
- NEPA Flood Relief - Students will reside in dorms and go out to assist the communities affected by the flood. 3-4 Chaperones are needed to drive groups and assist students in various locations and participate in meals and reflection each day.
- Scranton, Holy Family Residence - Students and chaperones will reside in housing at Holy Family. Meals are provided by the Little Sisters of the Poor. The group will plan a "hoe down", ice cream social and social activities, as well as assist the Sisters with small projects within the Residence. 1-2 Chaperones are needed to accompany the students and engage in evening reflection and social activities.
Spring Break - March 2-10, 2012
Please submit the attached Chaperone Application by October 10 to chaperone a Spring Break trip.
- Joplin, MO - Volunteers will travel to assist with relief efforts following this summer's devastating tornados. 2 Chaperones are needed to accompany students, drive to work sites, and participate in reflection and social activities.
- Philadelphia, PA - Volunteers will work with the St. Vincent DePaul Center, assisting in various ways by serving meals, working in a shelter, thrift store, and schools.
- A third location will be announced shortly, which may be an international location.
Summer - May 14-25, 2012 (Dates are tentative)
Please submit the attached Chaperone Application by October 10 to chaperone the Guatemala trip.
- San Lucas, Guatemala - Volunteers will be immersed in local culture, working on a coffee farm and with families and children in San Lucas. 1 Chaperone and Sr. Donna Korba will accompany the students throughout the week.
Please share this information with colleagues and students that might be interested in participating in an upcoming trip. Your encouragement often is a key factor in students applying for this unique and often life-changing experience.
Thank you! Please contact me if you would like to talk in more detail about this program.
Ann H. O'Brien, L.S.W.
Assistant Director for Service-Learning and Community Service
2300 Adams Ave.
Scranton, PA 18509
Rate this news story: