Thomas F. Kent, Ph.D.
Center for Natural and Health (CNHS) building, Room 318
(570) 348-6211 ext. 2278
Center for Natural and Health Science (CNHS) building, Room 320 A
Class of 2011
I am currently spending a majority of my week as a data analyst just outside of Chicago, building data bases for a major food and beverage company. What was great about Marywood was that I never felt like just another number in any of my classes. I never felt out of place asking questions and that allowed me to get a better understanding of any and all concepts that I can now use to further my career.
see more »
Begin your application or request more information.
About Fractals | Gallery
The Math Club, SEMI-Group, promotes mathematics in the community. Each year, its members participate in many on- and off-campus events.
We usually attend the regional or national meeting of NCTM (National Council of Teachers of Matheamtics), the PCTM (Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of Mathematics), or the MAA (Mathematical Association of America) national conference.
Moravian Student Mathematics Conference
Members attend the annual Moravian Student Mathematics Conference, where undergraduate students present independent research. Marywood math majors often make presentations at this conference. The following is a short list of the most recent ones:
- On Feb. 18, 2012, Sarah Yuest and Amberly Warner presented their joint work titled "Hyperbolic Geometry"
- On Feb. 18, 2012, Geri Smith gave a presentation titled "Fractal Geometry: History and Theory"
- On Feb. 18, 2012, Corey Foote gave a presentation titled "The Pollard's Rho Method for Factoring Numbers"
- On Feb. 26, 2011, Michael Kuniega gave his presentation titled "The Dihedral Group D_12 and Musical Transformations on Triads".
- On Feb. 20, 2010, Kayla Troast presented her work on the stereotype threat for female students on their mathematical performance
- On Feb. 20, 2010, Bradley Fenstermaker presented his research on modeling the outbreak of zombies and studying the chance of survival of humans in such a scenario.
- On Feb. 17, 2007, Colin Conrad presented his work concerning k-semismooth integers. Colin's research has deep connections to cryptology, the science of code encryption and decryption.
High School Math Contest
The Math Club hosts Marywood's annual High School Math Contest. The contest consists of two 40-problem tests created by Math Club members under faculty supervision. Prizes are awarded for the top three scorers at each level.
- President: Kelly Kirchner
- Vice-President: Susan Durand
- Treasurer: David P. Gitkos Jr.
- Secretary: Shawna O'Malley
- P.R. Officer: Alex Colefield
- Faculty Advisor: Dr. Dhanapati Adhikari