In order to access data or recruit participants for research at Marywood University, researchers must obtain permission from the proper official(s), as shown in the below table, and provide this permission to the IRB or ERC. Please use our permission letter template. The letter must:
- Be submitted on the official's office letterhead
- Be hand-signed by the official: You'll need to scan the document for electronic upload to IRBNet.
- State that the official is aware of the research project, including all risks and benefits
- State that the official has permission authority and grants access to data or allows the recruitment of participants
In addition to providing a permission letter, please explain in your narrative exactly who and how you are recruiting. If you've created a flyer, include it with your application and state in the narrative whether it will be posted and/or e-mailed to potential participants.
If you plan to recruit by posting a flyer to a bulletin board on campus:
- Include the flyer in your submission.
- After securing IRB or ERC approval, contact the Student Activities and Leadership Development (SALD) office in Nazareth Student Center to have the flyer approved and stamped for posting. This is SALD's campus policy, and its office reserves the right to remove flyers that have not been appropriately stamped by that office.
If you plan to recruit via a large e-mail distribution list on campus (Undergraduate, Graduate, Commuter, Resident, Faculty or MWAdmin):
- Include the e-mail distribution list name(s) in your submission.
- Include the script that will be used as the body of the message.
- Add to the script a statement that the study has been approved by Marywood University's Institutional Review Board or Exempt Review Committee.
- After securing IRB or ERC approval, contact Karen Nealon, CIO Office, at 570-961-4535 or email@example.com for access to the appropriate list(s). Please do not contact any other individuals. You will need to supply Ms. Nealon with your final IRB/ERC approval letter and the recruitment permission letter from the official stating to which lists you need access. (NOTE: As of 5/4/16 for about 6 weeks, the contact will be Marty O'Connor, 570-348-6211, x. 2616 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you plan to recruit via Marywood University's Facebook page or other social media:
- Include the social media name(s) in your submission.
- Include the script and/or flyer exactly as it will appear in the announcement.
- After securing IRB or ERC approval, contact Todd Pousley, Web Content Director, at 570-340-6019 or email@example.com in order for the announcement to be posted. Please do not contact any other individuals. You will need to supply Mr. Pousley with your final IRB/ERC approval letter, your recruitment permission letter and the announcement(s).
If you are employing multiple recruitment strategies, please be specific in your description.
Please be aware that in some instances, you may need permission from more than one individual.
|IF ACCESS OR RECRUITMENT WILL INCLUDE:||PERMISSION LETTER MUST BE OBTAINED FROM:|
Faculty (e.g., Faculty email list)
Employees/Staff (e.g., MWAdmin email list)
Dr. Kathleen Ruthkosky
Entire or Large Student Population [e.g., UG or Grad student email lists(s)]
Students in Residence Halls
Students During Specific Activities (e.g., sporting or other student events)
Dr. Amy Paciej-Woodruff, Assistant Vice-President for Student Life
Note: Dr. Paciej Woodruff's letters may mention the posting of flyers on campus. This is because Student Affairs must approve and stamp flyers prior to posting them on campus bulletin boards (after IRB/ERC approval). However, if recruiting a general population (more than just students), permission from Dr. Kathleen Ruthkosky is also required. For IRB/ERC purposes, Dr. Paciej Woodruff may only grant permission for recruitment of students under the conditions listed to the left.
|Students in a Specific Class (Course)||
Department Chair (on letterhead and hand-signed)
Class Instructor (may be an email message)
|Participants from a Specific College||
Participants from a Specific Department (including students)
Department Chair or Director
Dr. Kathleen Ruthkosky
Planning and IR Data Request Policy:
03/24/2017: Staff contact information updated