In order to access data or recruit participants for research at Marywood University, researchers must obtain permission from the proper official(s), as shown in the below table, and provide this permission to the IRB or ERC. Please use our IRB or ERC template named Permission Letter for Recruitment/Data Access, which may be found on our IRB or ERC forms pages. The letter must:
- Be submitted on the official's office letterhead
- Be hand-signed by the official: You'll need to scan the document for electronic upload to IRBNet.
- State that the official is aware of the research project, including all risks and benefits
- State that the official has permission authority and grants access to data or allows the recruitment of participants
In addition to providing a permission letter, please explain in your narrative exactly who and how you are recruiting. If you've created a flyer, include it with your application and state in the narrative whether it will be posted and/or e-mailed to potential participants.
If you plan to recruit by posting a flyer to a bulletin board on campus:
- Include the flyer in your submission.
- After securing IRB or ERC approval, contact the Student Activities and Leadership Development (SALD) office in Nazareth Student Center to have the flyer approved and stamped for posting. This is SALD's campus policy, and its office reserves the right to remove flyers that have not been appropriately stamped by that office.
If you plan to recruit via a large e-mail distribution list on campus (Undergraduate, Graduate, Commuter, Resident, Faculty or MWAdmin):
- Include the e-mail distribution list name(s) in your submission.
- Include the email message that you wish to transmit (include subject line and body of message).
- Add to the script a statement that the study has been approved by Marywood University's Institutional Review Board or Exempt Review Committee.
- After securing IRB or ERC approval, contact Karen Nealon, CIO Office, at 570-961-4535 or firstname.lastname@example.org for access to the appropriate list(s). Please do not contact any other individuals unless you are accessing a list not managed by Ms. Nealon listed in the heading above this section. You will need to supply Ms. Nealon with your final IRB/ERC approval letter and the recruitment permission letter from the official stating to which lists you need access.
If you plan to recruit via Marywood University's Facebook page or other social media:
- Include the social media site name(s) in your submission.
- Include the script and/or flyer exactly as it will appear in the announcement.
- After securing IRB or ERC approval, contact Sheryl Sochoka, Publications Director, at 570-348-6211, x.2404 or email@example.com. The investigator must supply Ms. Sochoka with the final IRB/ERC approval letter, the recruitment permission letter and the approved announcement(s). Please do not contact any other individuals for access.
If you are employing multiple recruitment strategies, please be specific in your description.
You many need a permission letter from more than one individual, depending on the population(s) you are targeting.
|IF ACCESS OR RECRUITMENT WILL INCLUDE:||PERMISSION LETTER MUST BE OBTAINED FROM:|
Entire Faculty (e.g., Faculty email list)
Employees/Staff (e.g., MWAdmin email list; HR)
General Visitors to Campus (e.g., bulletin board postings in multiple buildings - does NOT cover students)
Ms. Leslie Christianson
No letter is required for student recruitment via the SONA system (Psychology Participant Pool)
Mr. Ross Novak
Mr. Novak's letters only cover recruitment of students under the conditions listed at the left. His letters may mention posting of flyers on campus, because the Student Activities & Leadership Development office requires all bulletin board postings to be stamped.
|Students During a Class Meeting Time||
|Participants from a Specific College||
Participants from a Specific Department (including students)
Ms. Leslie Christianson
Planning and IR Data Request Policy: