International Guidebook: Transportation

Someone at Marywood Speaks Your Language

Ajay from India studies MBA (General Management)

Bus Service:

The  County of Lackawanna Transit System (COLTS) provides free service to Marywood University and University of Scranton students showing their official University Student ID card. This bus services a wide area within Lackawanna County, including shopping malls, grocery stores, restaurants and area entertainment. Schedules may be accessed through the COLTS website:

Motorcoach Service:

Martz Trailways| (570) 342-0166

Lynch Bus Service | (570) 343-1265

Taxi, Cab Company:

McCarthy Flowered Cabs   570-344-5000

Purchasing a Car

Owning a car in the US can be expensive. There are ownership costs (purchase price, taxes, depreciation, finance charges, registration, insurance, license fees, parking, etc.) as well as operating costs (gas, oil, annual inspections, engine maintenance, tires, etc.). If you'd like to research this option, Consumer Reports Magazine and Car and Driver Magazine are good resources. You can also visit and for more information. Automobile insurance rates for people who are new to the US are usually inflated until a driving history has been established. Obtaining a Pennsylvania driver's license may also be difficult. Do not purchase a car without first determining if you'll be able to obtain a Pennsylvania driver's license, which you must have before you are able register the car. You may wish to discuss auto insurance for the US with your current auto insurance company at home.

Parking on Marywood's campus is available at a cost of $200/year.  Street parking around the campus is reserved for the local residents who have Dunmore/Scranton parking permits.

Pennsylvania Driver's License

You will only be able to receive a Pennsylvania driver's license if your I-20, DS-2019 or H-1B status is valid for more than one year. If you will stay less than one year, and you would like to drive, you must bring your valid current home-country license and the international drivers permit (in English). Students and scholars who will stay for more than one year should apply for the Pennsylvania Driver's License soon after arrival. To receive a driver's license, you will need to pass (1) a vision test and physical exam, (2) a written knowledge test, and (3) a driving test. More information is available online at the PA Department of Transportation website.