Travel Advice

Someone at Marywood Speaks Your Language

Alexa from Finland studies Nutrition and Dietetics

What do I need to apply for a new US Visa?

--- Plan ahead! Contact the US Consulate or Embassy where you will apply for your visa before you leave the US. Most US Consulates now require a scheduled, in-person interview. Make sure you understand their visa application processes and that you have an appointment, if necessary. Remember, US Consulates and Embassies observe both local and US holidays.

Also, a US Consulate may close for an indefinite period of time if there are concerns about security in that region. A Consulate closing will prevent your ability to obtain a new visa, if needed. You should check the relevant US Department of State websites shortly before you exit the US as a last-minute precaution.

Information on US Consulates/Embassies abroad can be found at The accuracy of the information on these sites depends on each Consulate keeping it current.

--- Obtain copies of official transcripts from Marywood and any previous schools that you attended in the US.

--- Obtain original financial documents, showing your ability to cover remaining tuition and living expenses to complete your degree. (Examples: bank statements for personal funds and/or department letters for Marywood support.)  

--- Obtain a copy of your paid student account via the Cashier's office. This proves you are not in debt to the school. If you have paid for next semester's tuition or have a positive balance on your account, this may be counted as proof of finances.

--- You may also be asked to show ties to your home country. Property, other assets, family, and future job opportunities in your home country should be mentioned and documented. Offer such information ONLY if the issue is raised by the consular official reviewing your application. Officials are looking for proof that you intend to return home after completing your degree in order to qualify for the F/J nonimmigrant visa.


What about special registration (NSEERS)?

If you have a fingerprint identification number on your I-94 card and you were fingerprinted and photographed separately from the US-VISIT procedure at the port of entry or at the local USCIS office, you are subject to NSEERS. This means that when you exit the US you must follow special exit procedures. You are required to go to a specific location in the final airport before you depart the US to report your intention to leave to Customs and Border Protection officers. If you fail to report your intent to depart, you may not be permitted to re-enter the US. Even if it means missing your flight, DO NOT LEAVE THE US WITHOUT FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS. Make an appointment to discuss this with your International Student Advisor if you have concerns about this requirement.

Whether you are already subject to NSEERS or not, you may become subject to the NSEERS/Special Registration requirements at the port of entry.

For more information, visit the Special Registration Home Page at


How can I get in touch with the International Affairs Office?

Marywood's International Affairs Office is open during our normal office hours 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM, Monday - Friday.  The best way to contact is to call 570-961-4581. You may also send a fax to 570-340-6026.

For routine questions that do not require an immediate response, the International Affairs Office may be reached by email at .

International Affairs Office
Marywood University
Liberal Arts Center, Room 220
2300 Adams Avenue
Scranton, PA 18509
570-961-4581 (Phone)
570-340-6026 (Fax) (Email)


What documents should I carry for International travel?

Students should travel "fully documented." Expect attention to detail from the US border officer examining your documents upon reentry to the US or by US Consular officials if you must apply for a new entry visa. Carrying all of the documents suggested may keep your anxiety level low if you are carefully examined by US officials.

Carry with you:

  • Unexpired I-20 or DS-2019 with a current signature from Marywood's Registrar Office (F-1s within the last 6 months). To get a signature, bring your most recently issued I-20 or DS-2019 to Registrar's office. --- Copies of all previous I-20s or DS-2019s

  • Unexpired passport valid 6 months into the future

  • Unexpired US F-1 or J-1 visa stamp affixed in your passport (See point 2 below if your visa will be expired when you plan to re-enter the US)

  • I-94 card (This will be collected when you leave the US and a new I-94 will be issued upon your return).

  • Marywood ID


Will I need to follow US-Visit procedures?

Travelers entering the US are photographed and have a fingerprint scan as part of the US-VISIT entry procedure. Effective May 6, 2007, international travelers are no longer required to check out at a US-VISIT exit kiosk.

For further information on the US-VISIT program see

***NSEERS Special Registrants must be sure to follow NSEERS departure procedures regardless of port of departure. See section 5 below for more information.***


What if I'm traveling to or through another country?

If you are planning to travel to, or in transit through, a country where you are not a citizen, you should check with that country's Embassy or Consulate regarding entry requirements. In addition to the documents you need for re-entry to the US, you may also need a visa for entry to any other country you may be traveling to or through. For example, the European Union (including the United Kingdom) is now requiring citizens from several countries, including India, to have transit visas for flights routed through the European Union. This rule may only apply to individuals with expired US visas. Contact the Embassy/Consulate concerned for more information.

What should I carry for travel within the United States?

It is required by Immigration and Nationality Act that non-US citizens carry proof of their valid status while in the United States. If you will travel outside the Scranton-Wilkes-Barre area, the International Affairs Office recommends that you carry your I-94 card, passport, and all I-20 or DS-2019.

What items can be carried on planes?

If you will be flying, make sure you pack according to current restrictions which limit liquids and gels in carry-on bags. Consult the US Transportation Security Administration's website for US flights. Consult the website of the air carrier you will be traveling on for international flights.

US Transportation Security Administration:


Where can I find more information?