International Scholars

International Scholars

Currently Marywood University does not sponsor the J-1 Visa; Only students/scholars sponsored by other institutions or organizations are eligible.

___ Secure temporary housing.

___ Report to your academic department. Your department should be able to provide you with information about your email account, office and/or lab space, office telephone, computer facilities and Marywood University ID card.

___ Complete Immigration Check In. Bring your passport with visa, DS-2019, and I-94 to the Registrar's office. This check-in is required; failure to check-in will result in the loss of your legal status.

___ Get your staff ID card at the Student Activities Office, Nazareth Student Center, Room 107. Your ID card will allow you privileges in the Learning Resource Center, the Center for Athletics and Wellness, and use of Pacer Points to obtain a discount at Marywood eateries.

___Check in at the International Affairs Office. The office is located on the second floor of the Liberal Arts Center in Room 220.  Please leave your contact information, including email and phone number with the office, and meet with the department staff who will do their best to assist you with your needs.

___ Locate off-campus housing. Review the information in this booklet and Marywood University Housing and Residence Life Office (570) 348-6236.

___ Open a bank account. Check out the following web sites:  PNC Bank, Penn Security Bank, Penn East FCU.  Take into consideration services and fees associated with checking and savings accounts, interest rates, wire transfer fees, ATM machine access, credit and debit card availability, as well as telephone and web banking. You may want to open an account after you find housing so that you can choose a bank located conveniently near to your apartment or house.

___ Purchase health insurance for yourself and dependents, if you do not already have it. Health insurance is a necessity in the US because the cost of routine and emergency health care is extremely expensive. J visa holders are required by US federal law to have health insurance. More information about health insurance can be found at Student Health Services or at Human Resources for those with Marywood University benefits.

___Apply for a Social Security Number (SNN) if you will be employed on campus. In the United States it is necessary to have a Social Security number in order to be employed.  To apply for a card go to the Social Security website, print and complete the form and take it to the local Social Security office located in the downtown area of Scranton, Oppenheim Building, 1st floor, 409 Lackawanna Avenue, Scranton, PA 18503.

You must have an offer of employment to be eligible to apply for an SSN and you must apply in person at the Social Security office. Take your passport, I-20 or DS-2019, I-94 card (found in your passport).You will also need to provide an address where your new card can be sent. The Social Security Administration recommends that international applicants wait at least 10 (ten) days after arrival in the US before submitting an application for a SSN.

___ Go to Marywood's Payroll Office. If you will be paid by Marywood, visit the Payroll department within the Human Resources office, Liberal Arts Center 86 between 9:30 am and 3:30 pm. Helpful documentation to bring with you include your passport, DS-2019 and I-94 as well as your social security number or card. Unless you claim a tax treaty based on the specific treaty between your home country and the US, US federal taxes will be withheld from your paycheck. You will also pay state (3.07%) and local (1 - 3%) income taxes.