Students Living On Campus

Students Living On Campus

including Undergraduate, Graduate, Exchange and English as a Second Language (ESL) Students

___ Attend mandatory International Student Orientation: See Orientation Schedule on International Affairs website

___ Complete mandatory immigration check-in. This should be completed during orientation. Please bring your immigration documents (I-20, passport, and I-94 card) to the Registrar's Office, LAC 92.

___ Complete course registration procedures. This is usually done before you arrive.  or at Orientation. (IEP students will be registered on the first day of classes)

___Stop in at the International Affairs Office, Liberal Arts Center, 220. Visit the office to meet the staff, ask questions and learn about the office services for our International population.

___ Get your student ID at Madonna Hall Front Desk. This will be necessary to make use of Learning Resource Center services, the Fitness Center and the free COLTS bus service.

___ Open a bank account. When you attend international student orientation you will receive detailed information on full service banking close to campus. PNC offers student checking and two convenient ATMs right on campus. Visit for more information.


Immigration check-in must be completed by the end of the first week of classes or you will lose your legal nonimmigrant status in the U.S.!


___ Health insurance is required by the university and is a necessity in the US because the cost of routine and emergency health care is extremely expensive. For more information about Marywood Health Services or health insurance please review our policy for International students noted under Health Insurance on the International Affairs website.

___Applying for a Social Security Number (SNN) if you will be employed on campus.

In the United States it is necessary to have a Social Security number in order to be employed. You may apply for on-campus part-time work through the Human Resources department. If you receive an offer for a position, you may then apply for a Social Security Number. To apply, go to the Social Security website, print and complete the form and take it to the local Social Security office located in the downtown area of Scranton, Oppenheim Building, 1st floor, 409 Lackawanna Avenue, Scranton, PA 18503.

You must have an offer of employment to be eligible to apply for an SSN and you must apply in person at the Social Security office. Take your passport, I-20, I-94 card (found in your passport). You will also need to provide an address where your new card can be sent. The Social Security Administration recommends that international applicants wait at least 10 (ten) days after arrival in the US before submitting an application for a SSN.