"The honors program allows students to have more intimate classes that focus on more lively and interactive discussions. I like that the students in honors classes are more interested in the coursework which makes for more intelligent conversations and allows me to challenge myself."
Since 1983, The Honors Program at Marywood University has offered enriched educational opportunities for talented and motivated students.
In 1992, the Office of Honors and Fellowships was established, and the Honors Program was expanded to offer students more support and resources not only for their academic careers at Marywood, but also to help them fulfill their goals of graduate or professional school. Today, the office serves as the core of Marywood's Honors community.
The Honors Program offers you the unique opportunity to engage in a vibrant academic community. Involvement in the program provides you with challenging courses in a variety of disciplines as well as in-depth studies within your chosen field. You will practice critical thinking skills, learn and apply various research methods, and create new knowledge within your field of study. You will also gain professional experience through participation in conferences, research forums, and exhibitions. The benefits of the Honors Program extend beyond your undergraduate careers, providing you with the skills necessary for post-baccalaureate success as well as preparing you to apply for graduate school and competitive scholarships and fellowships.
The Honors Program supports your scholarship by offering
- Honors seminars and independent study.
- Funding for research and travel to regional and national conferences.
- Opportunities to study abroad.
- Advising for students applying to graduate or professional schools.
- Advising for students competing for major national or international scholarships and fellowships.
The Honors Advisory Board works to fulfill the mission of Marywood University by
- Creating a stronger sense of excellence in scholarship.
- Providing greater incentives for faculty and students to take a leading role in the academic community through innovations in learning.
- Establishing a community of faculty and students based on a love of learning, creative intellectual engagement and commitment to academic excellence.
- Providing a rigorous academic environment that contributes to the overall university community and encourages student dedication and achievement.
Marywood is a member of both the National Collegiate Honors Council (NCHC) and the Northeast Region Collegiate Honors Council. The Office of Honors and Fellowships houses resources on the honors curriculum and courses, information about study abroad programs, undergraduate research opportunities, graduate and professional schools, and scholarships and fellowships. We sponsor special activities and events.
Contact Dr. Erin Sadlack, Director of Honors and Fellowships, via e-mail at email@example.com, or phone 570-348-6211, ext. 2344 for more information or to make an appointment.