- "Mother M. Casimir, beloved Mother Superior at the time of her death on February 16, 1929, had realized her desire to provide a home for aged and infirm Sisters through the generosity of Mrs. Agnes Glennon of West Pittston, PA. Mrs. Glennon purchased the beautiful home of W. L. Connell on the Elmhurst Boulevard, Elmhurst, PA, with twenty-five acres of land, barns, caretaker's house, and garage and gave it to Mother Casimir to be used as a convent for infirm Sisters. The new home was named Saint Agnes Place and Sister M. Regis was appointed the first superior there. (page 159 of Sisters, Servants, Immaculate Heart of Mary, 1845 -1967
- "Mother Casimir's concern for the sisters was also reflected in her love and care of the ill and aging Sisters. The need for a home for these Sisters became known to Mrs. Agnes Allen Glennon, an alumna of St John's Pittston, Pennsylvania, and a close friend of the Sisters, who donated her estate, a beautiful country residence located in Elmhurst, Pennsylvania, for this purpose. As a home for our aged and ill Sisters, it was names St. Agnes Place in honor of the donor. Sister Monica Quinn and Sister John Baptist Hale were sent to prepare the house for occupancy. The work was completed by July 1925, but the house was not opened until early August of that year....Saint Agnes Place was a quiet, peaceful setting on a very productive piece of farmland. There were bountiful supplies of vegetables, a dairy provided milk and butter, and with the chickens a plentiful supply of fresh eggs. In their new surroundings the Sisters felt only one lack in their new home - the absence of the Blessed Sacrament. (page 63 of Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Scranton, Pennsylvania: 1919-1974
- "For several years, the community had pondered the need for a better home for our aged and ill Sisters. St Agnes Place, Elmhurst, opened in 1925, in a beautiful site twelve miles from Marywood, was no longer adequate for the growing numbers of Sisters who needed care. Ground was broken at Marywood on October 7, 1954, for a three-story brick building with a chapel wing. It was called Marian Convent, for it was begun in a Marian Year." (p163 of Sisters, Servants, Immaculate Heart of Mary, 1845-1967)
- April 9, 1956 - the Marian Convent was completed and dedicated by the Most reverend Bishop Hannan. One week later the ill and aged Sisters were transferred from Saint Agnes' Villa, Elmhurst Pennsylvania, and from the cloister ward of St. Joseph's Hospital in Carbondale. A resident chaplain was secured, and seventy Sisters were enjoying the peaceful and prayerful life of the Marian Convent.
Records Management & Archives | Learning Resources Center, Room 317