Our Lady of Victory, 1901
- The Lackawanna and Wyoming Valley Railroad had announced a plan to extend its line from Scranton to Carbondale that cut directly across the Green Ridge property of Marywood. If the Railroad were granted the right of eminent domain to build, plans for the school would cease. Mother Cyril, Mother Superior at the time, requested a meeting with Railroad officials to represent and defend the interest of her Congregation. Mother Cyril single-handedly convinced the authorities to select an alternative route for their proposed extension. "So close was the brush with disaster and so great the relief at escaping it that two supporters of the IHM Sisters decided to commemorate the triumph in a physical form. The Reverend Daniel Dunn and his brother, Reverend John Dunn, donated funds for a shrine to Our Lady of Victory. The statue in its pavilion still stands today on the campus, midway between the Liberal Arts Building and Nazareth Hall, on the very spot where surveyors from the Railroad had been seen making their preliminary calculations." (page 10 of A Retrospective)
- The Sisters of the IHM on page 280 reveals that each year on the last Sunday of May, the students, novices and Sisters proceeded to the Shrine with the coronation of Mary. It had also been used as the "Throne of our Eucharistic Lord" during the solemn Corpus Christi processions.