Mother M. Germaine ONeill Mother M. Casimir Murray Mother Mary William Craig Mother M. Josepha Hurley Sister M. Marcella Gill Sister M. Sylvia Morgan Sister M. Eugenia Kealey Sister M. St. Mary Orr Sister M. Coleman Nee Sister Mary Reap Sister Anne Munley
<< 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 >>
1954

The Statue of Our Lady's Asssumption is unveiled in front of Assumption Hall.
1954

Alumnae Residence Hall is renamed Immaculata Hall in honor of Sister Immaculata Gillespie, beloved first Dean of Marywood College.
1954

Ground is broken for the Marian Convent (a residence for the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary).
1954

The Music Department coordinates the Pennsylvania State Collegiate Orchestra Festival, hosting 104 students on campus from seventeen Commonwealth colleges. The group rehearses and then performs under the direction of Alfredo Antonini, musical director of the Columbia Broadcasting System.
1954

Marywood's Sodality of Our Lady sponsors a city-wide campaign with the slogan "Put Christ back into Christmas," December. The members erect a large billboard with a scene of the Nativity in the center of the Downtown Scranton shopping area.
1954

Marywood is presented with a carillon. It is the gift of the Reverend Francis McGinley, pastor of St. Thomas Church in Archbald and a former Marywood teacher, and the Home and Foreign Missions Committee of his parish. The bells are played for the first time in January and set the grounds ringing with Christmas carols and hymns. In spring the carillon provides musical accompaniment for the commencement marches and the May Crowning Day processions as they move from shrine to shrine.
1954

Marywood welcomes the first of many annual Shakespearean presentations by the Catholic University Players, a production of Othello.
1954

May
Bishop Hafey dies, May. The Most Reverend Jerome D. Hannan becomes his successor in the activities of the Diocese and of Marywood.